Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
If you consider their respective ages, that might be true. Azarenka had just turned ten when Serena won the 1999 US Open. So for most her life, the greatest active player in the profession she wanted to be in WAS Serena. There are also the stylistic similarites.

·
Registered
719 Posts
If you consider their respective ages, that might be true. Azarenka had just tunred ten when Serena won the 1999 US Open. So for most her life, the greatest active player in the profession she wanted to be in WAS Serena. There are also the stylistic similarites.

hard tobelieve serena, venus, momo elena d are getting up there in age.

I feel old now lol.

·
Administrator
39,929 Posts
If you consider their respective ages, that might be true. Azarenka had just tunred ten when Serena won the 1999 US Open. So for most her life, the greatest active player in the profession she wanted to be in WAS Serena. There are also the stylistic similarites.
true story!

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
hard tobelieve serena, venus, momo elena d are getting up there in age.

I feel old now lol.
Yeah...I got called old for the first time yesterday...I'm only 20! WTF? But yeah I remember when Justine was the up and coming teenager:eek: .

·
Registered
3,639 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I think she was being gracious.

Here is what she said in a presser at the 2005 US Open:

Q. It's strange to say your favorite player would be an Argentinian player.

VICTORIA AZARENKA: My favorite player from womans, been from when I was a kid, it's been Steffi Graf. It's always been my favorite player.

And now I know it's Federer. I don't know no one who doesn't like him so...

And I really like the people like who's playing my style and like attacking everything. Is like Williams sisters and Sharapova and a lot of other players like who's playing the attack game.​

Steffi was the player she grew up idolizing, But, she also likes the Williams Sisters and Sharapova. She lumps the latter two, however, with "a lot of other players" who play an attacking game.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Yeah, Serena better be careful.....Nadal has been pulling that "greatest player" move on Federer for years now... Vika may be genuine, but Rena better keep that killer instinct sharp.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Steffi was the player she grew up idolizing, But, she also likes the Williams Sisters and Sharapova. She lumps the latter two, however, with "a lot of other players" who play an attacking game.
But Steffi retired when Azarenka was 9. She may well have first gotten interested in the pro game because of Steffi, but whom did she idolize from 9-13? My guess would be Serena, and she's hinted as much, no?

She would have been 12 or 13 when Serena went on her crazy '02 run, and Serena was certainly big-time before then, although a little less mature (i.e. consistent).

·
Registered
26,220 Posts

VICTORIA AZARENKA: My favorite player from womans, been from when I was a kid, it's been Steffi Graf. It's always been my favorite player.

And I really like the people like who's playing my style and like attacking everything. Is like Williams sisters and Sharapova and a lot of other players like who's playing the attack game.​

OK, that's nice and all BUT Azarenka did NOT say that Serena was her favourite player. She said that Serena was the greatest ever, which the quote you used does not change.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
But Steffi retired when Azarenka was 9. She may well have first gotten interested in the pro game because of Steffi, but whom did she idolize from 9-13? My guess would be Serena, and she's hinted as much, no?

She would have been 12 or 13 when Serena went on her crazy '02 run, and Serena was certainly big-time before then, although a little less mature (i.e. consistent).
Twist her words whatever way you want. But, Victoria said Steffi was her favorite player growing up. I didn't.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you consider their respective ages, that might be true. Azarenka had just turned ten when Serena won the 1999 US Open. So for most her life, the greatest active player in the profession she wanted to be in WAS Serena. There are also the stylistic similarites.
in doubt azarenka had any chance to see sw win the final or any other match at the 99 uso on tv in belorus...

·
Registered
15,781 Posts
:worship: :worship:

·
Registered
47,545 Posts
LDV's getting desperate. :lol: It's just a quote man. She idolized Graf, likes Serena..

Does it really mean THAT much to you, that you've to go on attack-modus?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts

:spit: Graf is not the answer to every question. Stop with the scary obsession Gunther.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Vika said in an interview that her fav was Steffie. She said 2 days ago that Serena was the Greatest Player for her. Stop trying to take away from who you think she admired. It's OBVIOUS that she likes them both. It is possible u know to like more than one player growing up.

We all know at this time, Serena is the one to beat. She is a 10 slam champ. Get over it already!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts