Tennis Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Do anyone know how I can get Azarenka and Andrescu into my current career that I already have started?
You can't, afaik. Any players downloaded, created or patched in AFTER a career has been started will miss the career. They mentioned patching in a way to get around it.....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I get that but its a 3 piece combo that kills it for me
-Its only accessible on PC or Steam
-You actually need mods to make it good
-The graphics are , not joking, 2 eras old. They seriously look like PS2 level graphics
-Honorable mention towards the floating on air looking movement

HOWEVER-Give me a deep tour mode and great gameplay and i'm sold.....but i'd never call it the "best". The developer said he has plans for TE 4 and a console release within the next year or two, so i'm intrigued.
My favorite career games on TE were always with the unmodded versions. To each their own but gameplay for me is so much more important than "realism" or whatever, if that means hitting a basic CC winner every single point.

And the full version of TE4 will be out soon. I've been playing a beta version and the gameplay is even more realistic than TE2014.

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
I do enjoy AO Tennis 2, but the gameplay really isn't perfect. This is going to be kinda ranty, but just wondered if anyone else has the same feelings?

First of all, I can hit an excessive number of aces down the T on any difficulty level. Serving seems to produce predictable returns sometimes; I usually go down the T to the deuce side for an ace, while it's more difficult to the other court. If you do hit wide to the Ad court at full pace, the opponent will predictably hit a backhand slice into the net. But in rallies, the opponent doesn't hit enough balls out or into the net. It's quite easy to randomly net some balls or returns (especially using the hard shot button with top spin or flat strokes), yet your opposition seldom does this. And I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to miss a lot of overheads for no apparent reason?

I wish there as an actual 'risky' way to hit an extremely hard groundstroke too, because even the hard shots rarely produce winners unless you set the point up in certain predictable patterns (e.g. you can hit a crosscourt forehand winner after being pulled wide). The opponent can usually retrieve most balls hit down the line during baseline play, I don't recall being able to hit a BH DTL winner unless it's a passing shot.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I do enjoy AO Tennis 2, but the gameplay really isn't perfect. This is going to be kinda ranty, but just wondered if anyone else has the same feelings?

First of all, I can hit an excessive number of aces down the T on any difficulty level. Serving seems to produce predictable returns sometimes; I usually go down the T to the deuce side for an ace, while it's more difficult to the other court. If you do hit wide to the Ad court at full pace, the opponent will predictably hit a backhand slice into the net. But in rallies, the opponent doesn't hit enough balls out or into the net. It's quite easy to randomly net some balls or returns (especially using the hard shot button with top spin or flat strokes), yet your opposition seldom does this. And I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to miss a lot of overheads for no apparent reason?

I wish there as an actual 'risky' way to hit an extremely hard groundstroke too, because even the hard shots rarely produce winners unless you set the point up in certain predictable patterns (e.g. you can hit a crosscourt forehand winner after being pulled wide). The opponent can usually retrieve most balls hit down the line during baseline play, I don't recall being able to hit a BH DTL winner unless it's a passing shot.
Funny enough- both of those points are the biggest source of work and have been/will be fixed for the next update. The good/bad with this company is that the update A LOT....however, some times they update trying to fix the bad stuff and even up completely ruining the good stuff. There used to be too many errors, so they changed ut and now the ai hardly ever misses. Aces used to be impossible, so they changed it but now you can get a t-ace 4/5 times.

As for the second bit, you can actually hold down the "R2" button to add power to shots, but it's not enough to make a difference. Overall, the positive is that pretty much everything you've said has been addressed on the "official" forums and the team are working on it....bad news is, before it gets to that point you'd need to expect a few more gameplay changes (minor things).

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks for the update, now I am even more excited to try the game out on the PS4... but not for $49.99. Do you guys know of any websites (US or Canada based) that occasionally offer deals or sales on games that I should be on the lookout for?
It's 40% off on the PS store

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

I agree with the lack of UE from the ai does suspend your belief a bit. - when I'm having to hit like 60 winners in a match and the AI hits a 6/8 winner ue ratio.

As for aces, idk how many you are hitting. I'm hitting about 5-7 aces in a two/three set match which to me doesn't sound terribly overwhelming or easy but maybe you just have the technique and precision down / have an easier side like you mention the Ad court wide.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts

Funny enough- both of those points are the biggest source of work and have been/will be fixed for the next update. The good/bad with this company is that the update A LOT....however, some times they update trying to fix the bad stuff and even up completely ruining the good stuff. There used to be too many errors, so they changed ut and now the ai hardly ever misses. Aces used to be impossible, so they changed it but now you can get a t-ace 4/5 times.

As for the second bit, you can actually hold down the "R2" button to add power to shots, but it's not enough to make a difference. Overall, the positive is that pretty much everything you've said has been addressed on the "official" forums and the team are working on it....bad news is, before it gets to that point you'd need to expect a few more gameplay changes (minor things).

The Serve down the T is easy for me to on both sides. It is the only place I am able to get an ace.

The AI Players do not make enough errors.

I also wish it kept up with H2H. Top Spin 3 use to show it before the match, Top Spin 4 you could go back and see it.

I also wish it informed you of who won the tournaments you didn't play or if you cold see the AI Players results and how they got the points they got.

The Press Conferences are cool the they are very generic and repetitive.

Also how all the SF and Fs are at night no matter the venue is weird. Wimbledon and French Open don;t have night matches. And then on the flipside all the US Open Matches were at night,

I do like how there is not a "jump" in level from once you get to the SF like it was in Top SPin 4 even though you are on the same difficulty.

I also like that no matter the rating the AI players can be upset. Top Spin 4 was too predictable because the Top AI Players never lost matches to lower players.

·
Registered
27,620 Posts
I gave in and bought AO 2 as the price was heavily reduced.
Well.....it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting. I actually liked the rather deep customisation and the online community are really talented! I was able to download a really life-like Venus in one of her EleVen ensembles.
The career mode has a nice story element to it but the press conferences get repetitive quickly and the rep system seems kind of pointless.
Sadly, the gameplay itself is broken as so many times your player will just decide not to move for a shot.
As another poster already mentioned, it’s almost impossible to hit winners without going for the same predictable patterns of play over and over again as your opponent will run down every shot until you create a ridiculous cross-court angle. I also feel like I don’t have much control over my player and a lot of the time the game pre-determines your movement, shots, etc.
It simply lacks the depth and fluidity of Topspin 3/4 but it’s certainly an improvement on the first AO tennis game and Tennis World Tour.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts