Tennis Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
all of them are total flops (except inglis yet she is so limited), too bad for Barty to be the only competitive player of the whole continent. I can`t get why tennis Australia can not pull out a Tennis Canada like improvement.

·
Registered
77,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Wow just realised Yadlapalli was in Melbourne earlier this year for rehab, but was stranded by COVID. I wonder if she eventually got to go home, or has been there ever since. If she has, I'm glad she's finally playing these and making some money!

This articles from April:

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
^Still think she's a bit young/inexperienced for a MDWC when 6 of them have to be shared (dependant on the entry list) between Stosur, Sharma, Inglis, Cabrera, Hon, Rodionova, Sanders, Aiava and Gavrilova plus anybody else that I may be forgetting right now. However a QWC for sure if she wants it.

·
Registered
77,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I think Stosur and Gavrilova would be locks for MDWC.

Remaining 4 is probably Sharma, Inglis, Cabrera and Hon. Rodionova, Aiava and Perez outside shots.

QWC is tougher to decide as we don't know who is fit or not. I imagine Sanders is a lock for this.

Assuming Perez makes it in on her own ranking, we potentially have a toss up between McPhee, Fourlis, Mendez, Hives, Myers, Popovic, Woolcock, Bozovic, Birrell, Gadecki, CKP...

McPhee, Fourlis, Birrell haven't played in a long time - out with injuries/surgery, might not even be ready by AO. I think Birrell might've used PR.

Mendez depends if she wants to travel to Australia.

Hives is back in action, but still quite rusty. I think she may have entered with PR too.

Bozovic, Gadecki, CKP showing good form from UTR, I think they'd have high chances. Followed by Woolcock, Myers, Popovic.. Not sure who else I'm missing.

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
Stosur has an outside shot of making it directly if few players don’t enter. Also we don’t know if qualifying field will be reduced to 96 players for example

It will be interesting to see who will get the international WC if it is not Clijsters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,472 Posts
Sam should be a good chance for DE, I imagine a fair few players may not wanna come down and quarantine etc with such a limited/sketchy lead up. 6 WC's will be a nice change, especially as it'll be a little tricky for the girls to travel to Dubai and back. I'd say Sam, Astra, Maddy, Liz + Dasha would be locks. I think Pri is still injured? Hasn't been practicing so not even sure she'll be fit. I wouldnt mind Storm getting one, seems to be playing very well.

I assume we would still get qualifying WC's even though being played OS?

·
Registered
77,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Storm retired in her match today vs. Perez, so looks like Dasha took the opportunity to have a hit with Ellen now.

·
Registered
77,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Some interesting stats from the UTR series here: UTR Pro Tennis Series: Bozovic leads top-performing women

Especially the prize money won:

PRIZE MONEY WON
PlayerTotal
Alexandra Bozovic$31,025
Olivia Gadecki$27,250
Maddison Inglis$22,800
Abbie Myers$22,000
Lizette Cabrera$21,700
Lisa Mays$21,100
Olivia Tjandramulia$19,550
Destanee Aiava$17,550
Ellen Perez$16,900
Annerly Poulos$15,650

I think Bozovic, Gadecki, Mays hugely benefitted from this. Received a LOT more prize money than they would in regular years without having to travel far and not paying for flights, accomodation etc.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts