Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I remember reading on MTF a couple of months ago that Kokkinakis had decided to wait until next year to start playing tournaments and to make sure his body was fine, but he's popped up here in the Melbourne event - would make sense if these events decide some of the January WCs
Hmmm but if there was a potential WC up for grabs, I'd expect more players to play it.

Like you know... Cabrera, Hon, Birrell, Rodionova, Hives, Woolcock, etc. Whereas I don't imagine Stosur or Gavrilova would be too fussed about WCs, as they are essentially locked in for them if they want them.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Sanders vs Stosur is third today (NB 12), Gavrilova vs Parnaby is fifth (NB 2). Winners of both matches will meet in the final tomorrow

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Barry v Micic for the wooden spoon, somewhere around 5.30 or 6 pm our time. I have to go out of town for a funeral tomorrow, but at least the YouTube coverage means that I will be able to see it anyway, even if I'm not back home in time to watch it live.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
After her match against Sam Stosur, I thought that Monique Barry would be too strong for Elena Micic in the 5th/6th play-off, and so it proved. I didn't expect it to be quite so one-sided, although Micic did start putting together some nice shots as the match progressed. Her only ace was a pearl - wide out on the ad court on a second serve! She also hit what I considered to be the shot of the match - an incredible cross-court backhand winner that won her second service game in the second set.

Elena Micic1-6, 3-6 (1 hour 14 min)Monique Barry
1Aces3
4Double faults6
33 / 53 (62%)First serves in play39 / 62 (63%)
17 / 33 (53%)First serves won28 / 39 (72%)
9 / 20 (45%)Second serves won11 / 23 (48%)
6Winners17
33Unforced errors38
16Forced errors5
0 / 3 (0%)Break points won4 / 9 (44%)
49Total points won66

·
Registered
762 Posts
I respect Stosur for playing this. Many GS champs would not. She nearly choked a huge lead in 2nd !

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Do you think these could be the basis for some AO summer event Wildcards?

Since no playoff
You would think there would be tons of spots (not even requiring WCs) for Aussies in all tournaments given that plenty of the (overseas) 100-250 lot might skip the whole thing.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Also this AO there are no French and American reciprocal WCs too, so thats an extra two spots for Aussies (unless organisers give them to foreigners like Clijsters). Also helps that there are supposed to be more tournaments in Australia next year.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also this AO there are no French and American reciprocal WCs too, so thats an extra two spots for Aussies (unless organisers give them to foreigners like Clijsters). Also helps that there are supposed to be more tournaments in Australia next year.
How do you know there are no reciprocal WCs. Or are you just assuming since there were none for French and USO?

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
How do you know there are no reciprocal WCs. Or are you just assuming since there were none for French and USO?
Yes. It wouldn't make sense for us to give them more WCs when they are already owing us from 2020. And besides I recall a twitter post from Perez saying reciprocals would resume at 2021 RG.

Also usually French and US WCs have some sort of race based on challengers and that didn't happen this year.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Gavrilova d. Parnaby 62 60

Cabrera on court vs. Smith right now.

Gadecki v Bains and Sanders v Woolcock later.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Eagerly anticipated return for Naiktha, ha.

I hadn't heard of Olivia (before she beat Naiktha last time), but I see she's just 18 and is now on a 12 match winning streak - not many scalps outside of Bains (if you can call it that) and Cabrera, but still fairly impressive not to have dropped one match in that time, and she's also now the betting favourite in the upcoming match with Bains. Much potential there?

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Eagerly anticipated return for Naiktha, ha.

I hadn't heard of Olivia (before she beat Naiktha last time), but I see she's just 18 and is now on a 12 match winning streak - not many scalps outside of Bains (if you can call it that) and Cabrera, but still fairly impressive not to have dropped one match in that time, and she's also now the betting favourite in the upcoming match with Bains. Much potential there?
She lost to Olivia and today lost to Lara Walker. Not in form at all yikes.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts