Tennis Forum banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally a place to check out the daily updates of up-to-date match highlights and best points for UTR pro series at Sydney and Barisbane.

For live streaming of the both events, please visit: Tennis Australia

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
A brilliant result for Valentina Ivanov, beating both Destanee Aiava (40 forehand unforced errors alone, for God's sake - and EIGHT of those were in the match tie-break!) and Lisa Mays in match tie-breaks in Sydney. Unfortunately she came horribly unstuck against Alexandra Bozovic in the final, losing 6-0, 6-1 in 51 minutes, with just four winners - two aces and two fabulous shots in play - and 29 unforced errors, compared with 12 winners and 10 UEs from Bozovic.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
UTR Pro Series is back again in Sydney and Brisbane. The first event starts today in Sydney and tomorrow in Brisbane.

Entry lists:
Brisbane: Olivia Gadecki, Olivia Tjandramulia, Gabriella Da Silva-Fick, Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz, Alicia Smith, (WC) Naiktha Bains
Sydney: Destanee Aiava, Ellen Perez, Alexandra Bozovic, Abbie Myers, Lisa Mays, (WC) Valentina Ivanov

Surprised Bains is still in Australia!

Edit: the main pools will start on the 26th.
Did Naiktha ever play since this post, or is it still upcoming?

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Did Naiktha ever play since this post, or is it still upcoming?
She signed up for them but never actually played any of the events. There are still more events coming up in which she's put her name next to, but who knows if she'll actually play them.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Full field is Gavrilova, Sanders, Stosur, Parnaby, Barry & Micic.

Quite a few events coming up too...

Melbourne: 16/11-19/11, 21/11-24/11, 08/12-12/12
Sydney: 17/11-20/11, 03/12-06/12, 14/12-18/12
Brisbane: 23/11-26/11, 30/11-03/12, 07/12-11/12, 15/12-19/12

I'm interested if these will play some kind of part in a WC race, because with all these events happening and January now taking place in Victoria it seems feasible for some kind of WC Playoff to go ahead (I know previously it was announced that wouldn't happen, but that was before the announcement of the Victorian hub).

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Stosur and Gavrilova are playing the UTR event in Melbourne, with Stosur playing today against Monique Barry
Thank you! I had no idea Monique was involved in this, even though Valentina Ivanov played in the Sydney version. The match is on right now - Stosur took the first set 6-4, and games going with serve in the second.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Did anyone watch it? I'd imagine Sam was probably super rusty.
I saw bits and pieces, Sam did seem really rusty (to be expected) but Barry is a decent ballstriker and a lefty, having never seen her play before I was pleasantly surprised. It was also quite windy which wouldn't have made things any easier with Stosur's rust - hopefully she improves with more matches

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Did anyone watch it? I'd imagine Sam was probably super rusty.
Yes, I did. Sam was definitely rusty, but both players let themselves down with some pretty basic errors. Shot of the match came from Barry - a wonderful cross-court backhand right into the corner. The first game of the match was by far the longest, lasting over nine minutes, before Barry dropped serve with her fourth double fault of the game.

Sam Stosur6-4, 6-4 (1 hour 18 min)Monique Barry
2Aces2
6Double faults7
33 / 54 (61%)First serves in play44 / 69 (64%)
27 / 33 (82%)First serves won25 / 44 (57%)
11 / 21 (52%)Second serves won14 / 25 (56%)
12Winners9
32Unforced errors38
14Forced errors18
3 / 9 (33%)Break points won1 / 1 (100%)
68Total points won55

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Stats for Sanders v Barry

Storm Sanders6-1, 6-0 (48 min)Monique Barry
4Aces0
4Double faults8
18 / 33 (55%)First serves in play26 / 48 (54%)
16 / 18 (89%)First serves won12 / 26 (46%)
9 / 15 (60%)Second serves won8 / 22 (36%)
8Winners6
18Unforced errors33
4Forced errors12
6 / 8 (75%)Break points won0 / 0
53Total points won28

It wasn't until her very last service game that Sanders actually lost a first service point, with two forehand unforced errors giving away deuce. An ace and an unforced error from Barry meant that she held anyway. If Barry can cut down the unforced errors, and get more of her first serves in, she will actually become a decent player. A couple of her forehand winners today were absolutely phenomenal but, as you can see from the numbers above, there weren't nearly enough of them.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Do you think these could be the basis for some AO summer event Wildcards?

Since no playoff
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. I remember reading on MTF a couple of months ago that Kokkinakis had decided to wait until next year to start playing tournaments and to make sure his body was fine, but he's popped up here in the Melbourne event - would make sense if these events decide some of the January WCs

121 - 140 of 166 Posts