Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
My "Kiss of Death" has obviously worked the oracle for CKP. :eek: :love: I'll HAVE to watch the final against Lizette Cabrera tomorrow. :D

I'm not sure why the draw page on the UTR website describes all tomorrow's matches as quarter-finals (even though there are only three of them!) when the home page showing the order of play for tomorrow confirms that it IS the final.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Good showing by CKP. She's got a solid game with power and a bit of variety too. I hope she can work on her fitness and defense, because those are main things that are letting her down at the moment. But nonetheless, awesome stuff for a 15 year old.

Gadecki has also been quite impressive these couple of tournaments. I didn't watch much, but judging from the scorelines she's starting to push the older girls now.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
For a 15 year old, CKP has a truly awesome serve. She beat Cabrera all ends up with several of her aces, and they weren't all in the same place. What really impressed me is that her second serve also has power - it doesn't just drop off to 100-120 km/h like so many of the female players. Her serving stats did drop away after the first set, though.

Her movement wasn't too bad, but she seems to have got rather more solid in the months since I last saw her. It certainly helps with her power, but she still struggled to get to quite a lot of shots from Cabrera. It was also interesting to see how Cabrera had so many problems returning on her backhand side. The great majority of her forced errors on that wing were due to her simply being unable to cope with the power of CKP's serve.

Cabrera, though, made some truly awful mistakes :poop:, but she moved up at least two gears in the second set to show that there really is a huge gap between an unranked teenager and someone in the top 125 in the world. The match tie-break was even at the first change of ends after a mini-break each, but Cabrera didn't make a single error from there until the end of the match. Kudos to CKP, though - my prediction a few days ago that she wouldn't win a match was certainly wide of the mark!

Lizette CabreraFinal score: 4-6, 6-1, [10-6] (1 hr 27 min)Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz
3Aces7
4Double faults3
42/61 (70%)First serves in play48/68 (71%)
24/37 (65%)First serve points won27/48 (56%)
8/16 (50%)Second serve points won7/20 (35%)
25 (15 / 10)Winners (forehand/backhand)19 (15 / 4)
23 (17 / 6)Unforced errors (forehand/backhand)29 (22 / 7)
19 (7 / 12)Forced errors (forehand/backhand)22 (15 / 7)
4/11Break points won2/5
76Total points won61

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Why is Naiktha Bains from Great Britain playing in our series? She is from Great Britain......perhaps battle of the Brits would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Why is Naiktha Bains from Great Britain playing in our series? She is from Great Britain......perhaps battle of the Brits would be more appropriate.
She only changed back from Australia to Great Britain a few months ago. Little sister (?) Roopa still plays under the Australian flag.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
She only changed back from Australia to Great Britain a few months ago. Little sister (?) Roopa still plays under the Australian flag.
Thats not right, she's been with the GB flag for over a year now and received wildcards for Wimbledon last year. And Roopa isn't her sister I think, but possibly a cousin.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Naiktha's family still live in Brisbane, I think which is why she is playing these and still in Australia, but I'm surprised she didn't jump at the chance of playing the WTA tournaments in Europe.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Naiktha's family still live in Brisbane, I think which is why she is playing these and still in Australia, but I'm surprised she didn't jump at the chance of playing the WTA tournaments in Europe.
I agree , she is in the EL of WTA 125K in two weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
They have launched a UTR series in Regional Victoria. Good for some local competition starting again.

AMTs are still not being held though. I wonder if with COVID, TA will look towards hosting more UTR tournaments rather than AMTs?

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
UTR Pro Series is back again in Sydney and Brisbane. The first event starts today in Sydney and tomorrow in Brisbane.

Entry lists:
Brisbane: Olivia Gadecki, Olivia Tjandramulia, Gabriella Da Silva-Fick, Charlotte Kempenaers-Pocz, Alicia Smith, (WC) Naiktha Bains
Sydney: Destanee Aiava, Ellen Perez, Alexandra Bozovic, Abbie Myers, Lisa Mays, (WC) Valentina Ivanov

Surprised Bains is still in Australia!

Edit: the main pools will start on the 26th.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts