Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STRICT BIOSECURITY PROTOCOLS IN PLACE AS PROFESSIONAL TENNIS RETURNS
Featuring stops in five Australian cities, the UTR Pro Tennis Series commences in Sydney on Saturday.
24 June 2020 | Tennis Australia 264 6

Australia’s pro tennis players will have the opportunity to compete for $450,000 prizemoney in a new domestic series starting this weekend.
The UTR Pro Tennis Series will feature stops in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth, starting in Sydney on Saturday 27 June, with Brisbane and Melbourne competitions getting underway on Monday 29 June.
“With so much of the tennis season still uncertain, our aim through the UTR Pro Tennis Series is to give as many of our athletes the chance to compete and, importantly, also earn prize money, after months of not being able to make their living playing the sport they have devoted their lives to,” Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley explained.
“Our team has put an enormous amount of time and effort into the planning of these events, and have worked closely with the authorities and tennis staff around the country on the ground to ensure they are run according to strict local biosecurity protocols.”
The first phase of the UTR Pro Tennis Series will run until August, with the possibility of extending further depending on the resumption of the global tours (ATP/WTA/ITF).
Event organisers have worked closely within government guidelines in each state to ensure physical distancing rules are in place, along with additional hygiene and safety precautions. On court personnel will be limited, with a chair umpire, minimal lines-people and no ballkids. Players will bring their own towels.
Players will enter using their Universal Tennis Rating (UTR), giving them an opportunity to compete locally and have their results count globally via the Universal Tennis Rating (UTR) system.
“We are excited to work with Tennis Australia to bring the UTR Pro Tennis Series to the country and provide an innovative way for professionals to compete close to home safely and have their results count on a global scale,” Universal Tennis Chairman and CEO Mark Leschly said.
“Every tennis player – from social and league players to pros – in Australia can use Universal Tennis to measure their competitive ability. Players who have participated in Tennis Australia comps and tournaments already have a UTR, and can view their rating and register for events on MyUTR.com for free.”
Participating players and updates on the full calendar, including wheelchair exhibition events, will be announced in the coming days.
CITYUTR Pro Tennis Series first events
SYDNEYMen and Women

27 – 30 June
MELBOURNEMen and Women

29 June – 2 July
BRISBANEMen and Women

29 June – 2 July
ADELAIDEMen

5 – 8 July
PERTHMen

7 – 10 July
*Full UTR Pro Tennis Series calendar to be announced
Biosecurity, health and safety protocols:
  • Daily health and temperature checks for all on-site personnel
  • Physical distancing of 1.5 metres
  • Minimal personnel on site including no fans and ballkids, reduced lines-people
  • Additional hygiene practices and measures in place, including encouraging frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitiser
  • Thorough cleaning practices, including between matches
  • Players will tap racquet taps instead of shaking hands
  • Separate player benches and players encouraged to change ends on opposite sides of the court
  • Players advised to bring own towels, food and drinks
  • Players to spend minimal time onsite and encouraged to arrive, play and depart, not use showers within the venue and limit their time in any communal area, all in accordance with the AIS Framework for Rebooting Sport.
What is a UTR?
Universal Tennis Rating (UTR) is an international tennis rating system that connects millions of tennis players around the world to help them find better matches locally. UTR reflects a player’s current skill level based on head-to-head match scores, and rates all players across age, gender and nationality on the same 16-point scale. Every player can have a UTR – from the pros to juniors to social tennis players.
About Universal Tennis
The mission of Universal Tennis is to make tennis more affordable, accessible and fun for all players, regardless of age, gender, level and socioeconomic status. The UTR Engagement Platform is anchored by the Universal Tennis Rating (UTR) Powered by Oracle, the world’s most accurate singles and doubles tennis rating system; and provides the tools and solutions to make the Universal Tennis Rating relevant and valuable to players, coaches and organisers in their local domain. Universal Tennis is creating opportunities and pathways for players from all over the world, in all stages of life, to find better matches and unlock a more fun and flexible tennis experience. Watch our video and visit MyUTR.com to sign up, create or find your player profile, and join the global tennis community on UTR.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Barty won't play, but likely Stosur and Gavrilova will in Melbourne according to this article

·
Registered
762 Posts
Typical TA. They should be promoting the players and live stream since it starts tomorrow. Smh

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
FIELDS SET FOR UTR PRO TENNIS SERIES
Rising stars and established Australians including Christopher O’Connell, Alex Bolt, Lizette Cabrera and Maddison Inglis are among players who will return to professional tennis in the UTR Pro Tennis Series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BRISBANE – WOMENUTR
Lizette Cabrera12.48
Maddison Inglis12.37
Sara Tomic11.48
Olivia Tjandramulia11.36
Naiktha Bains11.84
Olivia Gadecki10.77

MELBOURNE – WOMEN UTR
Storm Sanders12.48
Destanee Aiava12.22
Belinda Woolcock11.87
Ivana Popovic11.81
Gabriella Da Silva-Fick11.47
Talia Gibson11.15

SYDNEY – WOMEN UTR
Abbie Myers12.05
Ellen Perez12.04
Alexandra Bozovic11.57
Taylah Lawless10.66
Lisa Mays10.55
Michael Haet10.15

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So many players missing, where are Stosur, Sharma, Hon, Rodionova, McPhee, Gavrilova, Fourlis, Hives, Birrell, Bai and Marshall.

What the hell is Bains doing here again :rolleyes:

Interesting that NSW girls Popovic and GDSF playing in Melbourne instead.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I think these UTR rankings are a joke. They don't take into account the level of the tournaments e.g a win at 1st round Wimbledon would be treated the same as a win over the same player at a $25K challenger!

·
Registered
762 Posts
So Bains actually Aussie again?

As if not should ban her from playing as shunned us.

Idk where others are but Arina on a plane overseas. World team tennis?? No idea where she would be going

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
So Bains actually Aussie again?

As if not should ban her from playing as shunned us.

Idk where others are but Arina on a plane overseas. World team tennis?? No idea where she would be going
Bains is just after the $$$

Yes, Arina will play World Team Tennis 2020 Teams - WTT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are playing round robin format, with two groups of 3 players.

Sydney:
Group 1

Abbie Myers
Alexandra Bozovic
Michaela Haet

Group 2
Ellen Perez
Taylah Lawless
Lisa Mays

There will only be two women's matches per day (as two players will be receiving byes). After 3 rounds, the players will play-off to determine standings. Seems all matches will be played on Ken Rosewall Arena.

Tomorrows OOP: Lawless vs. Mays (NB 2:30pm) followed by Bozovic vs. Haet.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the event format on the UTR website, there should be another lot of lower ranked players that are playing next week from July 1 to July 4.

EVENT FORMAT WOMEN: 12 players (9 direct acceptances ordered according to the latest UTR as at the close of entries plus 3 wildcards) in two pools with each pool competing in its own section of the event. Pool A playing for positions 1-6: Top 4 direct acceptances plus 2 wildcards. Pool B playing for positions 7-12: Next 5 direct acceptances plus 1 wildcard. Each pool is divided in two round-robin groups of 3 players in each. One round of matches in each round-robin group is played each day (3 days). Fourth day is the play-off for final positions with the top placed player from each group playing, the second from each group playing and the third from each group playing to determine the final positions for that pool in this event.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts

MELBOURNE – WOMEN UTR
Storm Sanders12.48
Destanee Aiava12.22
Belinda Woolcock11.87
Ivana Popovic11.81
Gabriella Da Silva-Fick11.47
Talia Gibson11.15

SYDNEY – WOMEN UTR
Abbie Myers12.05
Ellen Perez12.04
Alexandra Bozovic11.57
Taylah Lawless10.66
Lisa Mays10.55
Michael Haet10.15
I think these UTR rankings are a joke. They don't take into account the level of the tournaments e.g a win at 1st round Wimbledon would be treated the same as a win over the same player at a $25K challenger!
I don't know how they're calculated, but I've seen so much puffery about how UTR rankings are the be-all and end-all. How could anyone who regularly watches Australian women possibly rate Aiava higher than Myers and Perez?

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know how they're calculated, but I've seen so much puffery about how UTR rankings are the be-all and end-all. How could anyone who regularly watches Australian women possibly rate Aiava higher than Myers and Perez?
Uh.... perhaps the WTA rankings can help you there.

Aiava #199, Perez #247, Myers #310

And besides that, Aiava has always been better than those two, so I'm not sure what the problem is there..

I'm more surprised that Myers is ranked higher than Perez.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Uh.... perhaps the WTA rankings can help you there.

Aiava #199, Perez #247, Myers #310

And besides that, Aiava has always been better than those two, so I'm not sure what the problem is there..
I know about the rankings, but I've seen a LOT of their matches over the last couple of years. I refuse to believe that Aiava is a better player, whatever the numbers. I can't see her beating Sharapova, as Perez did in Sydney, even if the heat that day was a big factor in Sharapova's withdrawal.

I'm more surprised that Myers is ranked higher than Perez.
The UTR difference of 0.01 is surely statistically insignificant. I think that their WTA rankings are much further apart than their true relative ability.

·
Registered
77,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know about the rankings, but I've seen a LOT of their matches over the last couple of years. I refuse to believe that Aiava is a better player, whatever the numbers. I can't see her beating Sharapova, as Perez did in Sydney, even if the heat that day was a big factor in Sharapova's withdrawal.

The UTR difference of 0.01 is surely statistically insignificant. I think that their WTA rankings are much further apart than their true relative ability.
Perez has never beaten Sharapova, I think you are thinking of Mladenovic. Who in fact, Aiava has actually beaten too in an actually completed match. Perez's fluke win over Mladenovic was also when she was slumping hard and on massive losing streak.

Besides that, Aiava has also beaten a top 10 player in Sabalenka, which I could never see Perez doing.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Perez has never beaten Sharapova, I think you are thinking of Mladenovic. Who in fact, Aiava has actually beaten too in an actually completed match. Perez's fluke win over Mladenovic was also when she was slumping hard and on massive losing streak.
Sorry! Yes, you're right.

Besides that, Aiava has also beaten a top 10 player in Sabalenka, which I could never see Perez doing.
And that has to rank amongst the greatest fluke results of all time.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts