Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought it'd be cool to do a week-to-week 3-2-1 system, and to see who ends up on top at the end of the season (after Doha/Bali)... Feel free to make your own list :p

Leaderboard (after Feb 16th)
13 points - Samantha Stosur
9 points - Jelena Dokic
6.5 points - Jarmila Groth
3.5 points - Casey Dellacqua
3.5 points - Monique Adamczak
3.5 points - Isabella Holland
3 points - Sophie Ferguson
2.5 points Tiffany Welford
2 points - Sally Peers
1 point - Johanna Konta
1 point - Anastassia Rodionova
1 point - Rennae Stubbs
1 point - Jessica Moore
1 point - Tammi Patterson
0.5 points - Olivia Rogowska

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Australian Player of the Year

Week 1
3 points - Jarmila Groth, good win against Peng, before pushing Azarenka the eventual champion.
2 points - Samantha Stosur, played well to beat Ai Sugiyama, slightly disappointing loss to Safarova however.
1 point - Jelena Dokic, commendable effort against Momo.

Week 2
3 points shared - Jarmila Groth & Casey Dellacqua - Jarka winning a match before running into red hot Lena D, Casey for making Sydney doubles final - taking out Black/Huber, would have been ahead of Jarka if it wasn't for her pitiful Singles effort :tape:
1 point - Samantha Stosur - Stretching Serena all the way besides the massive choke, disappointing doubles effort as well...

Week 3 & 4 (Double points)
6 points - Jelena Dokic - AOQF Enough said ;)
4 points - Samantha Stosur - Solid 3r effort before strectching Lena, ran into Williams' in doubles early on.
2 points - Casey Dellacqua - Better singles effort, semi in doubles puts her here.

Week 5 (TOUGH WEEK!!)
3 points - Samantha Stosur - 4 solid wins in Fed Cup as our #1
1 point each - Jelena Dokic, Johanna Konta & Monique Adamczak - 3 wins for Dokic @ Fed Cup puts her up there, $25k Final in Britain for Konta as a wildcard defeating #1 seed on way, $25k QF for Monique at Burnie and the doubles title to boot.

Week of February the 9th
Not the best week for the Aussies :eek:
2.5 points each (3 & 2 points combined) - Monique Adamczak and Tiffany Welford - Solid week for both at Mildura $25k... Monique being the best performed Aussie in Singles for the 2nd week running making the semis, before losing in a 3rd set tiebreaker to Abi Spears. Good week for Tiff finally breaking through in a $25k making the quarters, also good in doubles making the Semi's!
0.5 point - Isabella Holland & Olivia Rogowska - Cruised to the quarters before falling to #4 seed Viratprasert in 3 sets @ Mildura. Rogowska making Quarters and stretching Monique in a tough match.

Week of February the 16th
3 points - Samantha Stosur
- Another main draw singles win, against solid player Rybarikova before choking (again) against top 20 player Zheng. Semi's in Doubles with Rennae.
1 point each - Anastassia Rodionova, Jelena Dokic, Rennae Stubbs - Nastya and Jelena for both qualifying for WTA events, Nastya making 2nd round of doubles as well, Stubbsy getting a point for making the Doubles Semi Finals of Dubai with Sammy.

Week of February 23
3 points - Sophie Ferguson -
Great week for Soph qualifying then making it all the way to the Semi's @ $50k Clearwater before falling to top seed Coin in 3 sets.
2 points - Jarmila Groth - Also Semi's for Jarka beating Date-Krumm on way to semi's at Clearwater, losing out to Wickmayer.
1 point - Jessica Moore - Simply because there was no one else :lol: Better effort however against seeded Foretz in Clearwater.

Week of March 2
3 points - Isabella Holland:
Another $25k QF for Issy defeating #6 seed Okadaue on the way - made the QF in doubles as well.
2 points - Sally Peers: Great win over Adamczak in Sydney before losing to inform Hollands in Round 2 - made QF doubles with Issy.
1 point - Tammi Patterson: Unexpected week for the Qualifier making the 2nd round - solid score against #8 seed Han in round 2.

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Week of February the 9th
Not the best week for the Aussies :eek:

2.5 points each (3 & 2 points combined) - Monique Adamczak and Tiffany Welford - Solid week for both at Mildura $25k... Monique being the best performed Aussie in Singles for the 2nd week running making the semis, before losing in a 3rd set tiebreaker to Abi Spears. Good week for Tiff finally breaking through in a $25k making the quarters, also good in doubles making the Semi's!

0.5 point - Isabella Holland & Olivia Rogowska - Cruised to the quarters before falling to #4 seed Viratprasert in 3 sets @ Mildura. Rogowska making Quarters and stretching Monique in a tough match.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Great idea Alicia Rocks. I hope u keep this up all year and it will be interesting to see the list in the end.

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I hope I do too :lol: Feel free to make your own if you want :p

·
Registered
18,049 Posts
Nice idea for a thread.

But I wouldn't give Bella a point for Mildura. Sure she made the quarter finals, but she didn't have to play anyone of great note or promise and beat them as she should have. She also didn't qualify.

I'd give that 1 point to Olivia Rogowska. She beat the top 300ish I-Hsuan Hwang in 3 and then overcame a resurgent Daniella Dominikovic (who maybe also should get a point for coming through qualifying and then upset the No.2 seed) in 3 sets. Liv pushed Adamczak in the quarters too, so I think that's worthy of a point over Bella

·
Banned
15,803 Posts
^^ Yeah, give Rogowska a point. :hearts:

Or split it. 0.5 each. Lulz.

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm dunno why I thought she qualified :eek: I'll split it :p

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sammy in the box seat to get the 3 points this week, Dokic has a chance to match her though against Caro tonight, can Jess have a good week in the US to get her first point?? Hope so!

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
Doubles shmoubles. Casey does not deserve any points so far. I don't think she's won a singles match all year aside from Hopman Cup and Fed Cup.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Good idea. Good luck with keeping it up!

I reckon Sam should lose a point for every choke/collapse when in a reasonable position. That would probably be one minus point per tournament this year...

Possibly significant that her only unblemished comp this year was Fed Cup when she had a coach sitting at her end..

And I'd give Casey an extra point for every tournament where she doesn't play doubles at all!

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doubles shmoubles. Casey does not deserve any points so far. I don't think she's won a singles match all year aside from Hopman Cup and Fed Cup.
I only go to Doubles - if the other singles results are :eek: Which can happen a lot with out players :p

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Isn't the premise of 3-2-1 so that you can't split the votes. Not like we have that much to choose from though.

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't the premise of 3-2-1 so that you can't split the votes. Not like we have that much to choose from though.
Yeah - but sometimes it's hard to split between players - this week is looking hard :eek: You'd have to give the 3 points to Sammy though...

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
I only go to Doubles - if the other singles results are :eek: Which can happen a lot with out players :p
See, I actually would've given Mirkovic the point over Casey, as she reached the final round of qualies at AO. A great achievement for a rookie ranked about 400 at the time.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
My current order is:

1 DOKIC 11.5
2 STOSUR 8
3 GROTH 6
4 RODIONOVA 3.0
5 DELLACQUA 2.5
6 KONTA 1.0
7 ROGOWSKA 0.5
8 MIRKOVIC 0.5

with TJ and Dani hanging around the fringes with Soph and Moni

Week 1
3 Groth
2 Dokic
1 Stosur

Week 2
3 Groth
1 Dellacqua (doubles only*)
1 Stosur (point taken off for choke)
-1 Dokic (point taken off for withdrawal)

Weeks 3/4 (Double)

7 Dokic
2 Stosur
1 Rodionova
1 Dellacqua (inc doubles*)
0.5 Rogowska
0.5 Mirkovic

Week 5

3 Stosur
2 Dokic
1 Konta

Week 6

2.0 Anastasia Rodionova (Qual'd at Doha plus OK in doubles*)
1.5 Jelena Dokic (Qual'd at Memphis)
1.0 Sam Stosur (Choked at Doha despite nothing to lose plus decent doubles with Stubbsy*)
0.5 Casey Dellacqua (For not playing doubles*. Concentrate on your next tournie. Win a singles match Case.)

Backwards Award of the Week

Despite strong competition from Stosur, Ferguson and Dellacqua, this week's award goes to Jarka Groth. A few weels ago you woulda thought 'she's got the game to make a GS quarter with any luck' but she never seems to be able to make any when she's a chance (see Stosur above).

* Doubles points only awarded in case of bad singles results from other Aussies..which means most weeks...

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:confused:

Despite a bit of a disappointment, surely Dokic beats Choke-ic this week?
Why? Stosur beat Rybarikova (who beat Caro last week) and stretched Zheng (yeah she choked but still not a bad effort), and is still going in Doubles....

Reactions: GeeTee

·
12,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My current order is:

1 DOKIC 11.5
2 STOSUR 8
3 GROTH 6
4 RODIONOVA 3.0
5 DELLACQUA 2.5
6 KONTA 1.0
7 ROGOWSKA 0.5
8 MIRKOVIC 0.5

with TJ and Dani hanging around the fringes with Soph and Moni

Week 1
3 Groth
2 Dokic
1 Stosur

Week 2
3 Groth
1 Dellacqua (doubles only*)
1 Stosur (point taken off for choke)
-1 Dokic (point taken off for withdrawal)

Weeks 3/4 (Double)

7 Dokic
2 Stosur
1 Rodionova
1 Dellacqua (inc doubles*)
0.5 Rogowska
0.5 Mirkovic

Week 5

3 Stosur
2 Dokic
1 Konta

Week 6

2.0 Anastasia Rodionova (Qual'd at Doha plus OK in doubles*)
1.5 Jelena Dokic (Qual'd at Memphis)
1.0 Sam Stosur (Choked at Doha despite nothing to lose plus decent doubles with Stubbsy*)
0.5 Casey Dellacqua (For not playing doubles*. Concentrate on your next tournie. Win a singles match Case.)

Backwards Award of the Week

Despite strong competition from Stosur, Ferguson and Dellacqua, this week's award goes to Jarka Groth. A few weels ago you woulda thought 'she's got the game to make a GS quarter with any luck' but she never seems to be able to make any when she's a chance (see Stosur above).

* Doubles points only awarded in case of bad singles results from other Aussies..which means most weeks...
Nice list :yeah:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts