Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

· All I want for Christmas is EU
42,502 Posts
Q: What does Ostapenko do when she faces a player who hits even harder than she does, and with much less effort, moves better than she does, is much fitter, and has a vastly better serve?

A: 1) She makes a lot of faces. 2) She questions a lot of electronic line calls. 3) She loses.

Oh and for those who wish to point out Ostapenko won their previous two encounters, it needs to be pointed out that Rybakina has worked extremely hard to improve her game over the last two years and it has paid dividends, while Ostapenko's game has changed not one iota.

· Registered
Ball Bash City Samsonova Rybakina Yastremska
9,459 Posts
To be honest, I was a little disappointed. Had to choose a slot to watch a full match this week and really wanted to make it the semi-finals just in-case the worst happened selected this one but ended with a fairly dull match. Anyhow good work Pie for doing what you were suppose to do. Even shelled out for a premium subscription just for this one match, but I must say the cuteness in HD is something else.
Glasses Watch Baseball cap Happy Hat

· Registered
5,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Q: What does Ostapenko do when she faces a player who hits even harder than she does, and with much less effort, moves better than she does, is much fitter, and has a vastly better serve?

A: 1) She makes a lot of faces. 2) She questions a lot of electronic line calls. 3) She loses.

Oh and for those who wish to point out Ostapenko won their previous two encounters, it needs to be pointed out that Rybakina has worked extremely hard to improve her game over the last two years and it has paid dividends, while Ostapenko game has changed not one iota.
No way Rybakina moves better than Ostapenko, even at her weight Ostapenko moves and defends well.

· Art & Futures
29,175 Posts
I can imagine Rybakina has a good mix now of being pissed about not getting enough attention after Wimbledon and motivation to prove she can win many more slams and get more legit slam winner treatment which she seems to want. Could be a nasty recipe for others if she keeps getting better.

· Registered
8,064 Posts
Rybakina was really aggressive; I think she was hitting more combined winners and ues than even Ostapenko (which is the right tactical approach). Serve was just too good. And the best serves were coming precisely at the right times.

Ostapenko was nervous (that’s what all the silly line complaining is really about) and slow and late to everything in the first set. Ball toss was going behind her (unlike in the guaff match, where it was consistent). 1/8 break points won is just not good enough.

· Registered
2,072 Posts
I really wish Queen Aljona buckled down and focused on this match. She spent too much energy on complaining about perfectly legitimate calls. The talent to win multiple slams is there. She just needs to keep her head in the game. Well done to Rybakina. I won’t be surprised if she wins it all.
Her Slam winning window has probably closed. The longest anyone has gone between Slams in the open era is 5 years, which only 5 players have achieved - Federer, Becker, Sanchez Vicario, Pierce and Kuznetsova. In fact, only 3 of these 5 players went a full 5 years without a Slam. Ostapenko hasn’t won a Slam in almost six years and hasn’t even gotten close really.

· Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I don't say this often, but tennis won today. Ostapenko doesn't need to be anywhere close to winning another slam with her attitude.

I like pretty much every player left in this draw, with the exception of Sabs who I don't hate, but don't really care for.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts