(wc)Birrell/Hijikata v L.Kichenok/Escobar
(4)Shibahara/Koolhof v (wc)Gadecki/Polmans

(8)Dabrowski/Purcell v Yang/Zielinski
(wc)Cabrera/Smith v Zimmermann/Puetz
(wc)X.Han/Zhang v Stefani/Matos
(2)Pegula/Krajicek v Mattek-Sands/Pavic

· Registered
721 Posts
I love how so many posters constantly make fun of the extra weight Ostapenko and even Townsend carry around yet here they both are playing all 3 events. Pegula also playing all 3 and Zhang as well. With all the talk about how little some top players play and consistently miss events and don’t support the tour it’s refreshing to see these girls playing all the time and hats off to them. Much respect!!!

· Registered
6,549 Posts
Very interested in the result of the match involving Townsend. She's been on fire, as of late, at least in doubles. Hoping she can do the same in mixed.

I second the post above me. The poster is spot on. TF makes fun of players with extra weight entirely too often. It would be nice if we could try to be a little kinder........but then again, I am posting on TF so I guess I shouldn't expect too much.

· Registered
34,033 Posts
I love how so many posters constantly make fun of the extra weight Ostapenko and even Townsend carry around yet here they both are playing all 3 events. Pegula also playing all 3 and Zhang as well. With all the talk about how little some top players play and consistently miss events and don’t support the tour it’s refreshing to see these girls playing all the time and hats off to them. Much respect!!!
Pegula is a title favourite in both singles and doubles, she's overdoing it with her mixed doubles campaign. Very tough first round, though.

A bit weird to see her play three events and seeing Salisbury not even bothering with mixed doubles. ☠

· Registered
914 Posts
Literally half the field could win. I'm going for the slightly
leftfield Shibahara/Koolhof.
Wonder if Sania does well she might hang on to SR and come out of retirement for Olympics?!
There's no SR for Olympics. You have to have your rankings super high.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
Ostapenko was a beast from the baseline in this match!

Cara Black was alternately swooning at Penko's shots and snickering at her Hawkeye reactions: "I think [Vega Hernandez] had better leave the baseline rallying to Ostapenko from now on" was one gem.

It felt like when Penko is concerned, she loves how she has stuck to regularly playing doubles and mixed doubles all her career - she even said that you can see how Ostapenko's doubles and singles play have helped each other.

· Registered
15,931 Posts
Pegula is a title favourite in both singles and doubles, she's overdoing it with her mixed doubles campaign. Very tough first round, though.

A bit weird to see her play three events and seeing Salisbury not even bothering with mixed doubles. ☠
It's not necessarily not being bothered. The Australian Open gives wild cards to a quarter of the field in mixed doubles, and that wrecks the chances of several "real" mixed doubles pairs getting in. Salisbury's choice of partner might have ranked them 27th as a pair, for example, thus missing out by three spots.

· Stanning for Andi
23,381 Posts
Ostapenko/Vega-Hernandez take down the top seeds Olmos/Arevalo 67 76 10-8!

Arevalo completely blew it for Olmos by losing both points on his serve from *8-7 up. The get from Vega-Hernandez on the first of those points was brilliant but Arevalo should have done much better on the next shot.

And at 8-8, Ostapenko obliterated Arevalo’s second serve…and not for the first time. She also hit a clean winner off his first serve (196km/h) earlier in the match too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts