Tennis Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1336 Posts

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
After any Lucky Losers move into the main draw, for any subsequent singles withdrawals, a new alternate list will be in effect composed of and in the following order:

• Australian Players who competed in the AO qualifying, followed by
• Doubles Players who are accepted into the AO Doubles and who competed in the AO Singles Qualifying, followed by
• Doubles Players who are accepted into the AO Doubles who did not compete in the AO singles Qualifying
Did they modify this ? or it is still the same procedure

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
From one of the posts further up..... is this still the situation? If so, then the next stage is returning a negative coronavirus test 48 hrs before flying to Australia (so around now) and then arriving in Melbourne by 16 Jan to enter the quarantine there (or Adelaide if you are one of the stars). So a possibility of more LLs coming into play if players fail Covid tests before they fly to Australia and of course, the one after they arrive:

The Australian Open’s qualifying events will be hosted overseas for the first time, in Doha and Dubai, between January 10 and 13.
Sixteen qualifiers and six alternates will then travel to Melbourne to enter a 14-day quarantine period.

Any player competing in the Open must enter quarantine by January 16 and return a negative coronavirus test 48 hours before flying to Australia as part of strict protocols.

Players will need to return another negative test on arrival before being able to practice from day two, and will be subjected to regular nasopharyngeal PCR tests, as well as PCR saliva tests, in quarantine.

·
Registered
32,086 Posts
It seems like the ATP is only bringing six LLs (including the two players that already got Isner and Garin's spots) so they only bring four possible replacements. That's a bit risky, isn't? We're a whole month away from the AO.

·
Registered
32,494 Posts
It seems like the ATP is only bringing six LLs (including the two players that already got Isner and Garin's spots) so they only bring four possible replacements. That's a bit risky, isn't? We're a whole month away from the AO.
They can always use doubles players and local scrubs to fill in.

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,227
Omg I knew it'd be those places around St Kilda Road/Albert Park.

I wonder if this means that the players staying at those two hotels will be using the Albert Park courts to practice? It's like a 1 min walk (obviously nobody will be allowed to walk lol). If they have the facility for this purpose then that's surely what would be happening?

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,228
So the likes of Perez may still get in as LL even though they lost in Q2. Interesting.

It's so nice to see players on their way!

Just a couple of weeks ago I was being abused by certain people on this site for saying that the government was committed to hosting the event because - in their infinite wisdom - they assured me that "the Australian government does not want the event" and "Australian citizens do not DESERVE tennis!!!" because of our "selfishness" (they informed me that we were selfish because we did not have an active covid outbreak in Victoria and had used lockdowns to eliminate the virus from the community).

That being said, there is still DAILY debate in the Victorian and general Australian media with people and "experts" fighting about whether the event is safe or not and whether it's fair to host it when there are still Australians abroad.

It's a pretty hot topic here, but I guess it's happening.

·
Registered
32,086 Posts

I wonder if this means that the players staying at those two hotels will be using the Albert Park courts to practice? It's like a 1 min walk (obviously nobody will be allowed to walk lol). If they have the facility for this purpose then that's surely what would be happening?
They'll have to practice outside of Melbourne Park during the week of the ATP Cup, two ATP 250s and two WTA 500s ...

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,230
They'll have to practice outside of Melbourne Park during the week of the ATP Cup, two ATP 250s and two WTA 500s ...
I assume they'd be using the National Tennis Centre for this?

It's basically joined to Melbourne Park and I often see Gavrilova and Stosur practicing there, plus I've even seen Jelena Dokic and Zhang Shuai there as well when I train there. Once Shuai watched me hit a few balls and I have never felt more inadequate on a tennis court :)

·
Registered
77,208 Posts

Albert Park, NTC and Melb Park used for COVID-safe training bubbles

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,233
Albert Park, NTC and Melb Park used for COVID-safe training bubbles

Thought so. Booking courts at those facilities has been impossible.

I hope they're not relaxing the no fly rule for positive tests.
I'm pretty certain he'd be shedding old virus rather than getting reinfected, but I guess they'll review it. It happened a lot at the end of the second wave in Melbourne and was talked about a lot because we needed to have a certain average number of cases to get out of lockdown and we were concerned about those ones particularly.

In any case he'll be getting tested a billion times here.

But the real issue is why tf are they allowing such a douchebag into the country while tweeting about covid scepticism and testing? UGH. High key hope he gets kicked out of Australia ASAP. He'll probably try and breach quarantine or object to the hotels or mask stuff and get deported.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
But the real issue is why tf are they allowing such a douchebag into the country while tweeting about covid scepticism and testing? UGH. High key hope he gets kicked out of Australia ASAP. He'll probably try and breach quarantine or object to the hotels or mask stuff and get deported.

Tennys Sandgren is a "douchebag"? Based on what, besides your whims? I see nothing offensive in the tweet that was quoted... i'm not sure it's kosher for you to be throwing direct, unprovoked personal insults like that at players.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
It's so nice to see players on their way!

Just a couple of weeks ago I was being abused by certain people on this site for saying that the government was committed to hosting the event because - in their infinite wisdom - they assured me that "the Australian government does not want the event" and "Australian citizens do not DESERVE tennis!!!" because of our "selfishness" (they informed me that we were selfish because we did not have an active covid outbreak in Victoria and had used lockdowns to eliminate the virus from the community).

That being said, there is still DAILY debate in the Victorian and general Australian media with people and "experts" fighting about whether the event is safe or not and whether it's fair to host it when there are still Australians abroad.

It's a pretty hot topic here, but I guess it's happening.
They are on their way. Yaay! I guess this means working as much as possible by burning the midnight lamp the next two weeks so that I can relax and watch as many matches as possible in during Melbourne I/II and AO since we are still working from home. I just hope many of my favourites don't get injuries or test positive. Bon chance.

http://instagr.am/p/CJ_pO_zAFh2/

·
Registered
687 Posts
I know it is minor detail and airways go everywhere around the world but Qatar Airway flight from LA to Australia made me lol. I was assuming it was for Abu Dhabi/Dubai players to Australia when I read Qatar Airway.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Over one thousand comments on this Thread.....does that make this the "War and Peace" of TF tournament Threads.
("War and Peace" book was over 1,000 pages long, I never read it, but I did enjoy the movie with Audrey Hepburn.)

1221 - 1240 of 1336 Posts