Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1336 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PSA:

There seems to be a bit of confusion and discontent about this thread. Consequently, I have updated the title of the thread to reflect what this thread has been used for from the beginning.

This thread is to discuss everything related to the event prior to it taking place. This includes (but is not limited to):

• planning
  • quarantine
  • crowds
  • hotels
  • local
  • covid situation
  • players

etc.

All of this information is directly relevant to the event as there are many factors that we are still unclear on and depend on the local and international situation of the pandemic, as well as the recent hotel issues and other information related to tickets, transport etc.

Since the event is yet to begin, actual tennis will probably need to be discussed in a different thread. There are already multiple other Australian Open threads about practice partners, draws etc, so it's worth checking that out too.

___

That being said, please refrain from unnecessary debates that are absolutely outside of the relevant topic. There are other threads to discuss general approaches to the pandemic applied by different countries that don't necessarily relate to the Australian Open.

Additionally, please try using Google or (preferably) official government/organisational websites and reports to obtain information rather than posting dubious information that is not verified.

Also, importantly, please refrain from attacking people and arguing over facts. This is general TF/internet etiquette, but this thread seems to have become a hotbed of questionable discourse so it seems pertinent to restate this.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
That’s a lot of good hotel rooms in Melbourne being block booked for several weeks then!

Be interesting when the details emerge about how many warm up tournaments there can be and what courts are going to be used.

Reactions: ishgever

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s a lot of good hotel rooms in Melbourne being block booked for several weeks then!

Be interesting when the details emerge about how many warm up tournaments there can be and what courts are going to be used.
Oooooohhhh yes.

I'm already thinking about which clubs could be used, since I've probably played at most in Melb. I wonder if they'll use Kooyong - it'd be almost impossible, since their courts are all grass or en tout cas. Maybe Albert Park?

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
The Ballarat Regional Tennis Centre has 12 blue (presumably Plexicushion) courts, and Bendigo has 26. These two (plus Pakenham) would surely be the obvious venues if tournaments were to be held outside Melbourne itself.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not Kooyong
Only 3 hard courts - significant renovations on the club house

Could use private schools such as Scotch College - plenty of courts, close to the city

Victorian’s. Have been through hell so it is great we are getting events but it is a real shame for other regular events across Anz

The only ITF or challenger hard court events been held in Victoria in recent years are Bendigo and Traralgon.
They have to be hot favs to hold an event.
(Mornington Also played but it is clay and it is a busy time of the year at the beach)
Mildura is the other venue that has hosted events but they have been in grass (& it is super hot in Mildura in January )
As mentioned in previous posts - Victoria’s otherlarge city Geelong don’t have hard court facilities
There is a big tennis centre in Bulleen -20 mins from the city - potential event.
I’ve been told on the other post Ballarat has facilities - I reckon they will host an event
Albert Park Reserve is the other possible venue for a small event
Close to city, facilities and hard courts
They played a lead up there in 1993, Amanda Coetzer won it, doubles too with local Lou Field.
The event moved to Tassie the following year.

Perhaps Torquay or the surf coast have facilities - problem being where players would stay- this is dire business time of the year for our beach towns.
I reckon they will play a atp/wta in the first week at Melb park, where most higher ranked players will play (as they traditionally play this week) 2nd week they will play Ao qualies at Melb park In the 2nd week.
Anyway- I guess we will
Soon find out

·
Registered
77,256 Posts
Victoria’s otherlarge city Geelong don’t have hard court facilities
Looking at Google Maps, the Geelong Lawn Tennis Club actually do have about 6 hard courts at their venue, so it could potentially be another possibility.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Regardless of exactly what venues will be used, I guess for the most part this is the best case solution that for the most part appeases the players, fans, and TA while abiding with the government requirement.

Players still get to train while in quarantine and guaranteed 5 weeks of tennis.
Fans get to watch 5 weeks of multiple tournaments, with a lucky rich few maybe even live.
TA can get a bulk of their tournaments happen, even if not at the original locations.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Albert Park is the most similar in terms of courts but the actual facility is a joke lol. That club house is a shack. Then again, I guess many events in this period of time are gonna be like this.

Traralgon is a decent choice for the smaller events I guess? Idk.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
[...]
There is a big tennis centre in Bulleen -20 mins from the city - potential event.
[...]
Boroondara would be a viable choice. They have 23 courts with floodlights for night matches:
16 Synthetic grass courts, 4 cushioned hard courts, 2 Synthetic clay courts and 1 European Clay Court

If they use the four hard courts they could have night matches to fill up the schedule (weather permitting). Or play it on synthetic grass 😐

The players can play golf at the course opposite to kill time between matches looking at you Ash

Edit: looked up the wrong facility
🤭 but maybe the Bulleen TC that I originally posted is the better option after all

·
Registered
18,537 Posts
Ew Boroondara courts are terrible, I hope not. It's like a 10min drive from me though, so would be quite surreal.

I can't believe I'm suggesting it but Pakenham and even....Cragieburn have significant numbers of plexicushion courts. And ofc they'd be remiss to not use Melb Park a la NY "Cincinnati".

Hoping there are some tournament related casual positions available given they are planning on everything here.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Ew Boroondara courts are terrible, I hope not. It's like a 10min drive from me though, so would be quite surreal.

I can't believe I'm suggesting it but Pakenham and even....Cragieburn have significant numbers of plexicushion courts. And ofc they'd be remiss to not use Melb Park a la NY "Cincinnati".

Hoping there are some tournament related casual positions available given they are planning on everything here.
Are they? I played there once. I was basically a primary schooler with no awareness of my surroundings and it was a while ago so ... you're probably right.

·
Registered
18,537 Posts
Are they? I played there once. I was basically a primary schooler with no awareness of my surroundings and it was a while ago so ... you're probably right.
I may be biased as I played a tournament (cough a one match drubbing) there last year and the courts are primarily yucky synthetic, despise the bounce. Facilities are so-so, but given the number of courts it could certainly happen.

I think I have a 1-1 record doubles record in that hole though, so I support them playing that 😂

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
the poor Melbournians are going to be so sick of tennis after all these events that they'll need a 5-year break from hosting any more.
We are itching to get out! I'm more than happy to go watch Karolína Plíšková win The Margaret Court Arena Brisbane International, as well as be in attendance for her 2R AO loss.

There will be plenty of corporate demand for Melbourne #1 - Melbourne #12, especially if these tournaments and AO is a limited capacity.

·
Your fav could never....
9,136 Posts
Not Kooyong
Only 3 hard courts - significant renovations on the club house

Could use private schools such as Scotch College - plenty of courts, close to the city

Victorian’s. Have been through hell so it is great we are getting events but it is a real shame for other regular events across Anz

The only ITF or challenger hard court events been held in Victoria in recent years are Bendigo and Traralgon.
They have to be hot favs to hold an event.
(Mornington Also played but it is clay and it is a busy time of the year at the beach)
Mildura is the other venue that has hosted events but they have been in grass (& it is super hot in Mildura in January )
As mentioned in previous posts - Victoria’s otherlarge city Geelong don’t have hard court facilities
I’ve been told on the other post Ballarat has facilities - I reckon they will host an event
Albert Park Reserve is the other possible venue for a small event
Close to city, facilities and hard courts
They played a lead up there in 1993, Amanda Coetzer won it, doubles too with local Lou Field.
The event moved to Tassie the following year.

Perhaps Torquay or the surf coast have facilities - problem being where players would stay- this is dire business time of the year for our beach towns.
I reckon they will play a atp/wta in the first week at Melb park, where most higher ranked players will play (as they traditionally play this week) 2nd week they will play Ao qualies at Melb park In the 2nd week.
Anyway- I guess we will
Soon find out
Gee I hope so... It was be amazing to have a Tennis event in my home town of Ballarat :D

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Traralgon is pretty much a shoe in for something here. Wodonga were close to getting a David Cup tie, losing to Mildura. They have 10 Plexi's all with lights? Maybe? Pic from their site :) About - Courts

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
So we're not gonna have fake "Cincinnati in Queens New York" type tournaments taking place in Rod Laver Arena and the rest of Melbourne Park? Why not?

What's the health benefit of relocating a tournament from Brisbane and Sydney to not Melbourne but some random outback village somewhere in Victoria? You'd still have to drive for hours or fly if that's the case.

Seems to me like the Aussies are using tennis to resuscitate the economy of the one and only panedmic hit province that suffered long and hard lockdown.

1 - 20 of 1336 Posts