Tennis Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
My predictions for who’s gonna win (appreciate any feedback): AO 2020: Women’s draw predictions, R1 must-sees and walking byes
Interesting summary but for one area, where all I can think of is that you have been indulging in substances which should not be named! :eek::ROFLMAO:

"Into the bottom quarter and we see Elina Svitolina, who’s playing the British Katie Boulter in the 1st round. Boulter, who’s entered the Australian Open using her protected ranking after a lengthy injury kept her out for most of last season, has played some warm up matches on the ITF tour to get herself ready. This could go either way! "

Boulter should/would be 1000-1 and drifting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Interesting summary but for one area, where all I can think of is that you have been indulging in substances which should not be named! :eek::ROFLMAO:

"Into the bottom quarter and we see Elina Svitolina, who’s playing the British Katie Boulter in the 1st round. Boulter, who’s entered the Australian Open using her protected ranking after a lengthy injury kept her out for most of last season, has played some warm up matches on the ITF tour to get herself ready. This could go either way! "

Boulter should/would be 1000-1 and drifting.
Thanks for the reply. I’m probably taking the fact that Elina’s won two games so far in Australia as a big deal! Collins was fantastic in Brisbane but Elina seemed to give up quite quickly, which could suggest something’s bugging her. She usually sticks in it and can come out on the winning end - that’s one of her best qualities. Lost 1st set 6-1 to Konta back in Brisbane 2018 but fought back to a breaker and won through a retirement. The lack of that last week makes me wonder. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. In the mean time I’ll stop taking those unnamed substances 😂

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don’t understand people saying Serena got an easy draw. Uhm, she’s a top eight seed and is rightfully supposed to get a good draw to the quarters, just like the other seven seeds. She then possibly meets the defending champion and a player who has given her trouble in the past if she gets to the quarters. Not an easy draw at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I agree, Serena''s week 2 is potentially the toughest of any seed. Could be Konta or Yastremska, Osaka, then Barty. All before the final. We know finals have been her big obstacle, but this draw could provide earlier obstacles, like last year in Melbourne.
And her form in New Zealand was erratic, some good some off days.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I don’t understand people saying Serena got an easy draw. Uhm, she’s a top eight seed and is rightfully supposed to get a good draw to the quarters, just like the other seven seeds. She then possibly meets the defending champion and a player who has given her trouble in the past if she gets to the quarters. Not an easy draw at all.

She is supposed to get to the last 8, as are the other 7 as you say, but it very rarely happens that most, nevermind all, make it, and a lot of that is to do with the draw. It's basically because the first 3 rounds are very favourable.

Potapova has been in very poor form for a long team, then it's Zidansek/Han in R2, ones is an ITF level WC, and the other has done pretty much nothing outside of ITF clay events. Qiang will likely get to R3 as there's very little in her way, and we all know what happened the last time they met, and Qiang has been well beaten by Watson, Riske and Kerber since that USO meeting. Konta, the highest seed in her initial section, has played one match since the USO, and lost, so it'll probably be Dayana in R4, which will likely be her first test, but it's still not the worst R4 match (at this stage of DYs career) when you consider other possibilities.

So something like Potapova - Zidansek - Qiang - Yastremska is far more favourable than say:
Barty = Tsurenko-Peterson-Rybakina-Riske
Bencic = AKS-Ostapenko-Kudermetova-Sabalenka
Halep - even Brady in R1 could be a banana skin, Collins in R3
Svitolina - OK for 2 rounds, but then possibly Muguruza and then Bertens before QF
Pliskova = Mladenovic, CoCo V, Pavs, Kerber/Vondrousova

Osaka and Kvitova's aren't too bad either, but there are still a few more live players in their way before R4/QF.

The top 8 seeds will go in to most of these matches as the pre match favourite when looking at it individually, but there's also a lot more chance they fall, the more potential objects they have in their way before the business end.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
She is supposed to get to the last 8, as are the other 7 as you say, but it very rarely happens that most, nevermind all, make it, and a lot of that is to do with the draw. It's basically because the first 3 rounds are very favourable.

Potapova has been in very poor form for a long team, then it's Zidansek/Han in R2, ones is an ITF level WC, and the other has done pretty much nothing outside of ITF clay events. Qiang will likely get to R3 as there's very little in her way, and we all know what happened the last time they met, and Qiang has been well beaten by Watson, Riske and Kerber since that USO meeting. Konta, the highest seed in her initial section, has played one match since the USO, and lost, so it'll probably be Dayana in R4, which will likely be her first test, but it's still not the worst R4 match (at this stage of DYs career) when you consider other possibilities.

So something like Potapova - Zidansek - Qiang - Yastremska is far more favourable than say:
Barty = Tsurenko-Peterson-Rybakina-Riske
Bencic = AKS-Ostapenko-Kudermetova-Sabalenka
Halep - even Brady in R1 could be a banana skin, Collins in R3
Svitolina - OK for 2 rounds, but then possibly Muguruza and then Bertens before QF
Pliskova = Mladenovic, CoCo V, Pavs, Kerber/Vondrousova
I can understand your points. Still, I think if you took Serena’s name and put her in any of the eight sections, then people would still complain. Yastremska is in good form, and some folks were even picking her as a dark horse last week, and now suddenly she’s too easy for a potential fourth round opponent. It’s actually easy to discredit most of the eight seeds’ first four round opponents. For instance, the only tricky player Barty has in the first four rounds is Riske, who has only made a slam quarterfinal once. Bencic has two erratic big hitters in Penko and Sabalenka, and both are prone to hitting themselves off the court (and don’t even get me started on Penko’s poor serve). Brady has barely won anything, and if Serena were in Brady’s section people would certainly see Brady as an easy victim. Collins has barely ever won a WTA tournament. Pliskova and Svitolina don’t have it too hard in the early rounds either. For instance, Muguruza is not in her best form, and neither is Kerber.

Still, this is WTA and there are bound to be upsets. The thing with Serena is that up until now she rarely loses in the early rounds of slams and has a winning head to head against most women ranked below her, so almost any first week opponent will suddenly be called an “easy” win for her.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I don't want to frighten Naomi Fans here BUT brace for a close contest between her and Bouzkova in a few hours time. Why? Naomi herself said often enough that she has 1st Round jitters and looking at History on the last few Slams her 1st Round Matches weren't very pretty at the Slams.
RG 2019: Schmiedlova 0-6, 7-6, 6-1
Wimb 2019: Putintseva 6-7, 4-6
USO 2019: Blinkova 6-4, 6-7, 6-3
What will AO 2020 hold for us ???????

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Lol. You're definitely not from the US. I was joking. Obviously the humor was completely over your head. 🙄
Yeah, outside of the US, humor is actually funny.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts