Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Edit up to post 100, fixed error) Confirmed by official sources or by the players themselves so far (rankings as of first week of January:

4 Kenin / 44 Ostapenko
5 Svitolina / 17 Swiatek
6 Ka. Pliskova / 27 Muchova
7 Andreescu / 19 Rybakina
8 Kvitova / 30 Anisimova
10 Sabalenka / 20 Mertens
13 Azarenka / 72 Kasatkina (from post #43 by guichard, not sure where the source)
14 Konta / 58 Watson
15 Muguruza / 26 Riske
16 Keys / 24 Brady
22 Sakkari / 23 Kontaveit
29 Yastremska / 295 Lapko
32 Vekic / 68 Tomljanovic
39 Stephens / 102 Petkovic
40 Linette / 53 Cornet
43 Garcia / 47 Podoroska
52 Bouzkova / 66 Sorribes Tormo
99 Kostyuk / 70 Badosa
103 Bolsova / 104 Juvan

Can't recall source but rumors: Kerber/Cirstea? Kerber/Bencic?

===================================

I'm assuming I'm not the only one that loves potential drama and speculations of WTA players, and nothing more entertaining than this Australian Open cohort system that they have two players buddying up. So, I wanted to see a list can be found of who has confirmed to be together, and make guesses on who could be with who?

So far from my knowledge the only confirmed group is Svitolina and Iga per Spiceboy. At first I was rather surprised because I assumed it will be Naomi and Iga, but reading the requirements (must arrive together or start quarantine together and so on) I guess people from Europe or those likely in Abu Dhabi will be together, and those currently in US will be together and so on, so it makes sense. Are there any other confirmed groups as of right now?

Also what are some expectations of cohorts among the top ranking players? I'm going to assume that Serena is just going to be with Venus anyway because they probably have their own planned program anyway. However, will the Pliskova twins be together, considering I'm not sure how much Karolina will be a fan of the idea of being stuck with a lefty partner all of the first week after she brought in Bajin with the obvious hope to end her slam drought? What about the known "friends" like Sabalenka and Mertens, Sloane and Keys, Sakkari and Vekic? Bencic said she and Kenin were good warmup partners last summer, but since then after Kenin surpassing Bencic will Belinda still be friends with her? The speculations continues...

For the lower ranking groups, the obvious one for me is Hibino and Doi considering they are currently both in Japan, similar rankings and both in the MD, and train with each other anyway, and will likely lose in the first round (or 2nd at best).

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Everyone seemed to love practising with Sakkari and Vekic when the WTA did that piece on who the best practising partner is. But yeah I think they'll probably go with each other.

Petkovic and Kanepi share a coach, so i'm guessing they will pair together.

Sloane and Madison seem likely.

I'm guessing Bajin will want someone else for Pliskova. I think she practices with Halep a fair bit (then again so does Sakkari).

I'm not so sure about Vee and Re. On a recent live, Venus said they rarely practise together any more because they work on very different things ("Serena likes to hit a lot of groundstrokes"). I know Venus and Jabeur practised together at almost every post-shutdown event and became good friends. I could randomly see Serena and Andreescu together (if the latter shows up, lol), or even Naomi.

Azarenka could potentially team up with one of the sisters, Barty (who probably would have picked Goerges before she retired), or even Sabalenka if Mertens and her don't go together.

Another possibility for Barty is Jennifer Brady. They are friends and will be playing doubles together IIRC.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Could Svitolina & Monfils practice together if they wished. They may not want to of course.
Or is it females only and males only.:unsure:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to someone in another thread, I guess Barty and Brady are confirmed now?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I could totally see Barty and Brady carpet munching.

·
Premium Member
63,758 Posts
Bencic and Vekic have been practising together in Dubai.
But I could also see Belinda go with her good friend Kenin.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Bencic and Vekic have been practising together in Dubai.
But I could also see Belinda go with her good friend Kenin.
According to the AO it still looks to be Belinda & Sofia. This was posted on the tournament website on 12/30.

Doubles draws set to sizzle at AO 2021

Belinda likes to practice with both of them, and if I can recall correctly I think she practiced with both of them in Rome.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dunno, but while Venus/Serena and Sloane/Keys atleast makes sense if it were to be true, Vika/Coco is way too out of the blue IMO.

I mean, outside one doubles match thrashing by Vika/Barty during USO 2019 they haven't played eachother. They play for different countries, have residency in different state (Arizona/Florida), and very far apart in age.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Vika is used to babysit at little children 😁 who makes the couples? Can the players sign in who will with who as if they are in school or is it all make up by the organization?

·
Registered
37,498 Posts
I thought Kontaveit would go with Kasatkina, maybe even Peterson. But I think Sakkari’s coach is close with Sears, they seem to always hit at least once before a big tournament.

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Dunno, but while Venus/Serena and Sloane/Keys atleast makes sense if it were to be true, Vika/Coco is way too out of the blue IMO.

I mean, outside one doubles match thrashing by Vika/Barty during USO 2019 they haven't played eachother. They play for different countries, have residency in different state (Arizona/Florida), and very far apart in age.
They practised together during the last off-season, I remember them singing cringey karaoke with Serena. Even had a dance number with some of the player's under MouRAT's Academy. I think that's when he suggested a new team for Vika.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts