Tennis Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Yeah that was rough to watch, and I only saw the first set.

If Maria wants to continue playing then she has absolutely no business playing anything above an International event until her ranking gets her entry. Play smaller events and get wins. Period.

If her body is so shot that she has no other option but to show up cold at a big event every three months (and subsequently lose 1R) then good luck to her, but I don't know if I'll be able to continue watching.

·
Heaux
29,753 Posts
The moment Maria started hitting her FH DTL and thus attacking Vekic's BH consistently, she started winning. She stopped doing that, lost her rhythm on serve and effectively blew her own momentum.

This time last year she was really playing some good tennis but an injury took her out again. Very unfortunate.

Also not convinced about Piatti's added value as her coach so far. Wasn't the whole point of their partnership to improve her technique so she would have more margin for error? Her serve is AWOL and she is hitting that helicopter FH very frequently again which scares me for her shoulder.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Not nice to see Maria in such reduced circumstances. Road back to where she wants to be looks very tough, perhaps her body is too broken. Hopefully she can come stronger and get a few wins, might spark something...

They say I might as well face the truth
That I’m just too long in the tooth
I’ll admit, I may have lost a step
Though there’s nothing wrong with my prep!
My knees have started to knock
Just too many miles on the clock
I’m fiery, stubborn, set in my ways
It’s true that my body has seen better days
They tell me I’m well past my prime
That I should give in and call it time
With each muscle strain
They say pack in the game
But there’s one thing that you ought to know
I’m not quite ready to go
I know it’s not great, things look a tad bleak
But watch me get on that win streak
Some may not envy my plight
Though believe me I can still fight
I’m worn out, clapped out but don’t shed a tear
One things for sure I’m still bloody well here!

Reactions: jacobruiz

·
Registered
20,918 Posts
This is frustrating for me to follow also partially because we got to see some of the top men players miraculously recovering their very best form after their careers were seemingly dying, retirement articles were basically ready to be published as they were dealing with incredibly serious injuries in their long careers and yada yada, then it's like they suddenly got to reborn. Meanwhile Maria, who is on a supposed (hmm let's say, more "irregular or inconsistent") tour and has arguably had the most off time to recover by now/get a new body still gets these misfortunes... ?I know the cases are not comparable (and there's also the likes of Del Potro etc) but I can't help it. ? :( Let's hope she manages to stay at least healthy enough to keep playing more regularly and hopefully getting some match play and confidence in smaller tournaments so she can have some more positive memories in the end! If not, well still an extraordinary career and an even more extraordinary person to support for all these years.

·
Registered
20,918 Posts
(She still looked so beautiful as usual though ddd and I hope we get to see her wear the yellow version of the dress this season!)

·
Registered
13,255 Posts
This is frustrating for me to follow also partially because we got to see some of the top men players miraculously recovering their very best form after their careers were seemingly dying, retirement articles were basically ready to be published as they were dealing with incredibly serious injuries in their long careers and yada yada, then it's like they suddenly got to reborn. Meanwhile Maria, who is on a supposed (hmm let's say, more "irregular or inconsistent") tour and has arguably had the most off time to recover by now/get a new body still gets these misfortunes... ?I know the cases are not comparable (and there's also the likes of Del Potro etc) but I can't help it. ? :( Let's hope she manages to stay at least healthy enough to keep playing more regularly and hopefully getting some match play and confidence in smaller tournaments so she can have some more positive memories in the end! If not, well still an extraordinary career and an even more extraordinary person to support for all these years.
To be fair, Rafa, Roger, and Novak are really a once in a lifetime thing. Outside of the three of them, it's really difficult, even for Andy Murray.

She's probably feeling down and a bit frustrated at the moment. But I don't know, I still have some faith she'll regain some form. Her body may be falling apart, but she is still talented and a hard worker. She could have played much better in these past few matches, but honestly Donna Vekic is a pretty good player nowadays. It wasn't some scrub she played in the first round. So the draw wasn't as easy as some thought. I do agree that it would be beneficial for her to play smaller tournaments, otherwise she's gonna keep drawing these top players in the first and second rounds.

I know the game is still there. She showed it in that first set against Jennifer Brady.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is frustrating for me to follow also partially because we got to see some of the top men players miraculously recovering their very best form after their careers were seemingly dying, retirement articles were basically ready to be published as they were dealing with incredibly serious injuries in their long careers and yada yada, then it's like they suddenly got to reborn. Meanwhile Maria, who is on a supposed (hmm let's say, more "irregular or inconsistent") tour and has arguably had the most off time to recover by now/get a new body still gets these misfortunes... I know the cases are not comparable (and there's also the likes of Del Potro etc) but I can't help it. :( Let's hope she manages to stay at least healthy enough to keep playing more regularly and hopefully getting some match play and confidence in smaller tournaments so she can have some more positive memories in the end! If not, well still an extraordinary career and an even more extraordinary person to support for all these years.
That is such an accurate comparison with Del Potro, he’s exactly the identical version of Maria oh ATP. He was fine and able to return to top 10 and then faded again due to injury.

She’s had a stellar tennis career and I have learnt so much from her approach to life believe it or not. These days I take it as a treat to be able to watch her play because she had such a strong charisma that lots of WTA players don’t possess. Her matches shows professionalism even though they’re losses.

It’s true that it’s hard to see her struggle but at the same time I really appreciate the effort. She really doesn’t have to try any further at this point but I think she feels the need to continue because of the fans and her love of the sport. The corners will turn. She’s had exactly the same result as Sloane Stephens thus far (don’t mind me comparing them don’t know why really lol) so as long as she is healthy she can enjoy playing and that’s what matters most to me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
There's enough left in the tank for one final push or she wouldn't still be out there. She's a proud person but I don't think she's delusional.

Reactions: LoveMasha

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I was watching Acapulco field and looks very weak, she should ask a WC and playing there. This if she really wants to play RG...

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
I have a feeling I really should change my username in Masha is gone ?
lol
Or you can change it to "Golovin and Clijsters are back" haha

4-1 second set is typical losing effort but she literally doesn't have anymore consistency in her hitting, do you think the worst thing of whole situation is that she lost again and now she's outside of top 300? nah, I tell you, the worst thing is that her level is stacked into mediocrity, I don't see any fucking improvements since she came back last year in Maiorca, actually she played much better with Kontaveit than she did these first matches in 2020 which is worrying coming from an off season, this loss was totally expected.

The lack of rhythm and bla bla bla, wake up guys, last week she played 2 competitive exhibitions, what was the result? a breadstick by tomjanothing, dragged on court for 2 hours by freaking Siegemund losing her pathetic serve left and right, this after Brisbane, then how you can't expect her to win against a top 20.
I completely agree

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Trying an international event isn’t a bad idea.
Yes, Maria should play MMs. And gain wins (= confidence) there.
The opponents are weaker there (if she has luck with draw, with her luck she will draw Top seeds lol).
Right now Maria is not good enough for Premiers and Grand Slams.

And if she stays injured, she should retire. Would not make sense to continue.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Analysis

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
I think the serve is less important than her return. That's the part of her game that she'll need the most, because her serve will never be a weapon again. At best, it'll be a non-liability that can bail her out of trouble sometimes a la 2012-13.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts