Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
CGS
7,575 Posts
No matter how much she always said her motivation is still quite high and she still plays because she loves the game, deep down inside I know she is still playing purely to prove that meldonium does not give her any advantages and she can perform well without it. Don’t forget that she intended to retire at the end of 2016 because of all of her injures. But meldonium happened so we could still see her now in 2020.

So her stubbornness will not let her retire now (unless she has another huge injury that requires another big surgery like in 08). She will still try to play to prove something. But she keeps getting injured, losing her rhythm, having setbacks, starting everything again, losing confidence, losing matches. I feel like this is going nowhere. If she stops now then everyone would call this comeback a massive failure and she is truly nothing without meldonium. If I were her, I would not know what to do too tbh.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
No matter how much she always said her motivation is still quite high and she still plays because she loves the game, deep down inside I know she is still playing purely to prove that meldonium does not give her any advantages and she can perform well without it. Don’t forget that she intended to retire at the end of 2016 because of all of her injures. But meldonium happened so we could still see her now in 2020.

So her stubbornness will not let her retire now (unless she has another huge injury that requires another big surgery like in 08). She will still try to play to prove something. But she keeps getting injured, losing her rhythm, having setbacks, starting everything again, losing confidence, losing matches. I feel like this is going nowhere. If she stops now then everyone would call this comeback a massive failure and she is truly nothing without meldonium. If I were her, I would not know what to do too tbh.
Maybe that pressure to prove herself following meldonium that isn't helping. I know physically she's slower and older but I do feel it's more the mental aspect that has cost her a lot of matches. I hope she can have a good run and turn that around before retirement.

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
I think because it’s (retirement) obviously on her mind this year where as last year despite the shoulder issues she made the 4th round/was top 25 and things were looking much better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
This basic girl is going away from my signature. She needs to humble herself. Play challenger or dont play at all. Also you can accept that you suck Maria - yes this is also the way and maybe then you will feel even better and play better, there is no shame about it, but you are too stubborn and have huge ego to even say something like this. Bye Maria, happy retirement.

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
If she's healthy, there is no reason not to try and play this season and see where it goes.
If she has another injury setback, then honestly, what's the point?

·
CGS
7,575 Posts
Just watched her press conference and all she said was “i don’t know” :oops: I’m really curious to see what her plan is for the next few weeks/months.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have a feeling I really should change my username in Masha is gone 🤭

4-1 second set is typical losing effort but she literally doesn't have anymore consistency in her hitting, do you think the worst thing of whole situation is that she lost again and now she's outside of top 300? nah, I tell you, the worst thing is that her level is stacked into mediocrity, I don't see any fucking improvements since she came back last year in Maiorca, actually she played much better with Kontaveit than she did these first matches in 2020 which is worrying coming from an off season, this loss was totally expected.

The lack of rhythm and bla bla bla, wake up guys, last week she played 2 competitive exhibitions, what was the result? a breadstick by tomjanothing, dragged on court for 2 hours by freaking Siegemund losing her pathetic serve left and right, this after Brisbane, then how you can't expect her to win against a top 20.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Maria has so many obstacles and issues in her tennis life that I'm not sure if she has a time and health to fix them all.

Ofc. there is no point of stopping this year if she's healthy but she has some tough decisions to make in a few days/weeks on how she sees her future on WTA tour

I also genuinely hope she won't get any WC to Premiers and Slams. This is not the way to build confidence. Her ranking right now truly reflects her current form and she doesn't belong to the biggest tournaments. If she wants to fight for her name and achieve something in this game, she should swallow her pride and play some smaller tournaments.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If she's healthy, there is no reason not to try and play this season and see where it goes.
If she has another injury setback, then honestly, what's the point?
if she's healthy and she doesn't play then I wonder what a kind of fire she was talking about a month ago...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t doubt for one second that Maria still has the fire. The fact she chose to have another shoulder op last year and go through all that rehab again should tell you that.

I think it’s a case that, as willing as Maria is, her body won’t enable her to do what she needs to do. I’ve said for a while now I think Maria will end up retiring this year :( As stubborn as she is, it must be depressing for her to keep going on like this.

·
SharaFamily
21,137 Posts
The problem with Maria is she still believe that all those thing she did was right, right path, right exercise, right prepare but No there's something wrong. She underestimated WTA level those day, She should hire a hardhitting partner and raise up her practice's level.

I think It's time to do Jankovic's path.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Trying an international event isn’t a bad idea.

I do hope the amount of work she’s done will pay off in the end and at least help her with the right direction. It’s very discouraging to see her losing matches left right centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 116 Posts