Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
3-6 4-6 to Vekic. Another disappointing loss :cry:

Maria played a bad match until 1-5.
Then she improved, served better and kept her UEs low until 3-6 4-1.
In set 2 from 4-1 she played bad again, lost the last 5 games of the match. Pathetic choke/collapse.

Maria is only a shadow of what she used to be.
Her level is quite mediocre now. Far from her best. Of course the injuries are to blame.

Her once so strong serve is a mess and often weak now.
She has lost a lot of power in her strokes.
Her movement is slow and worse than ever. She makes many UEs.
The consistency on a high level is gone.
Mentally she used to be strong. But now she is nervous and mentally weak.

The only thing that is the same is her great fighting spirit.
But that alone does not win you matches, when everything else is a mess.

Ugly to watch Maria these days. So up and down. Serve a mess, movement is poor, no consistency.

And of course Vekic was a tough and unlucky draw.
There were many easier R1 opponents in the Aus Open draw.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think she should play

Midland 100k USA 03 Feb
IW 125 K USA 03 March

And see how things go. There is a 125k in the US starting next Monday but that might be too soon.
This is never going to happen in my opinion.

She’ll always get a WC but it’s her level of tennis that’s concerning. It’s almost like Bouchard and Kiki level in terms of R1 exit.

I’m sure she will play St Petersburg and Indian Wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I think she should play

Midland 100k USA 03 Feb
IW 125 K USA 03 March

And see how things go. There is a 125k in the US starting next Monday but that might be too soon.
Forget about it, the fact that she chose Brisbane over smaller tournaments as the first of the year means she's still playing the ridiculous "Accepting wildcards at the risk of R1 losses" game, a game that has hurt her ever since the comeback.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
Maybe this loss will make her re-evaluate things. While I agree it’s not likely to happen I think it would be a very very smart move.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Forget about it, the fact that she chose Brisbane over smaller tournaments as the first of the year means she's still playing the ridiculous "Accepting wildcards at the risk of R1 loss" game, a game that has hurt her ever since the comeback.
Call it stubbornness. She believes she’s able to produce that level which is at times very delusional but you have to be around that atmosphere to ignite that inner strength rather than beating a player you don’t know in a small city. Just my 2 senses though.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
Come on let’s be real. Maria is not going to play challengers. She is too proud for that. Hope she would perform better in her next tournament. Gotta get that ranking up or she will end up playing qualifying in RG and Wimbledon.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
In my opinion she needs to learn to win again and those smaller tournaments would give her that + give her match toughness and much needed ranking points.

·
Registered
570 Posts
In my opinion she needs to learn to win again and those smaller tournaments would give her that + give her match toughness and much needed ranking points.
She’s had her own methodology but I’m surprised given her experience on tour she seemed so clueless at times on what to do.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
She’s had her own methodology but I’m surprised given her experience on tour she seemed so clueless at times on what to do.

Yes that worked when she was younger and less broken and the tour wasn’t so high in its depth...new times call for a new approach. I agree though she probably won’t do the sensible thing.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
To me Maria looks done. Her career looks over.
The shoulder injury destroyed her game/serve/power/consistency/mental strength.
And Maria is old now, never was the best mover, but is now even slower.

Maria is past her peak and will never be great again.
She has her good moments in her matches, but more bad ones.

I agree with Stubbs who said that Maria will not return to Australia next year.
I guess Maria will end her career during/after this season.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
But the thing is, her body is so fragile. She could only play some selected tournaments before feeling something in her body again. That’s why I feel like she is playing this risky game by choosing to play in big tournaments only and hoping to perform well in those. Imagine her playing a random 125K somewhere, with her ranking now, is it true that sometimes you have to win 6 matches in a week to win one? She would end up getting hurt again while her ranking does not improve that much.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
Yeah I can’t see Maria making the trip down under next year especially if this continues. Her body does seem done. If she could stay healthy and win some matches top 30/40 is not out if the question.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
But the thing is, her body is so fragile. She could only play some selected tournaments before feeling something in her body again. That’s why I feel like she is playing this risky game by choosing to play in big tournaments only and hoping to perform well in those. Imagine her playing a random 125K somewhere, with her ranking now, is it true that sometimes you have to win 6 matches in a week to win one? She would end up getting hurt again while her ranking does not improve that much.
Winning a 125K actually gives u quite a lot of points (160) and would probably give her a much needed ranking boost.

·
Registered
570 Posts
To me Maria looks done. Her career looks over.
The shoulder injury destroyed her game/serve/power/consistency/mental strength.
And Maria is old now, never was the best mover, but is now even slower.

Maria is past her peak and will never be great again.
She has her good moments in her matches, but more bad ones.

I agree with Stubbs who said that Maria will not return to Australia next year.
I guess Maria will end her career during/after this season.
I had to agree.

She probably has some decisions to make whether she is to continue or not in the next few weeks or so.

With her level of play she can’t get into even Q for French Open or Wimbledon. And we know how they are towards her during the suspension and will not award her a WC.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
Winning a 125K actually gives u quite a lot of points (160) and would probably give her a much needed ranking boost.
Right, from world no.366 to no.209. And she ends up being injured for playing that many matches in a single week. Whereas she could earn the same amount of points with only 3 matches in big tournaments. And she is quite delusional about her level so I think I know what she’s gonna choose.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
I didn’t even think of that...retirement could actually be very very close. Either that or drop below your level and pur in the hard yards to get back to where she wants. Either doesn’t sound great but it is what it is. She has had a great career and her life after tennis will also be great.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
How about playing those international level tournaments? Maria is not going to play Challenger level for sure.

I really thought we would see three sets when she was cruising along in set 2.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I didn’t even think of that...retirement could actually be very very close. Either that or drop below your level and pur in the hard yards to get back to where she wants. Either doesn’t sound great but it is what it is. She has had a great career and her life after tennis will also be great.
Might sound crazy but now is the perfect time for that. And no need to go through those gruelling rehab and recovery.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts