Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never opened a thread here, so I decided to give it a shot :)

AO is right around the corner, it used to Maria's best slam.
I have no expectations this year, just hope she will finish this tournament in one piece and give herself a chance to play a few matches.

This is Maria's road at AO 2020. Personally I think It could have been worse, she's 147 in the world so we can't expect easy roads:

1R: Donna Vekic
2R: Alize Cornet
3R: Sabalenka
4R: Bencic/Kontaveit
QF: Halep
SF: Pliskova/Svitolina/Kerber
F: Serena/Barty/Osaka

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
No expectations

in other years this would have been a pretty easy draw to the quarters but not anymore. Hopefully she can play decent against Donna but it looks pretty tough.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It’s a pretty good chance and Maria needs to be quick on her feet! Donna has improved under Torben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
CGS
7,579 Posts
That’s a pretty good draw for the world no.147. I’m actually relieved with this draw. No big top seed in the first few rounds. She can handle Vekic, just another Tomljanovic (better ofc, I know). But someone gotta take out Sabalenka before R3. I’m scared of that girl, she hit the ball like a truck. Overall this draw is really doable if her form is decent enough.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Talking about her draw with about 50-60 players that can beat her right now is relative, yes at least she doesn't face a player who beats her by default, Donna still good enough to beat current Pova in comfortable way though. Just pray she shows up in choking mode because in terms of tennis I don't see any reason why she should lose against THIS Maria, at least on hard court.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Talking about her draw with about 50-60 players that can beat her right now is relative, yes at least she doesn't face a player who beats her by default, Donna still good enough to beat current Pova in comfortable way though. Just pray she shows up in choking mode because in terms of tennis I don't see any reason why she should lose against THIS Maria, at least on hard court.
But Vekic also lost a lot of matches she shouldn’t have though.

In terms of power they’re pretty similar, except Vekic is a tad better in her movement. She just lost to Sakkari and Putinseva in Brisbane and Adelaide. I just want a good match and a good Maria show up please. Will she get RLA? That is a wishful thinking, but I’m happy if it is any show court.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
It's not the worst draw, but how many players can she beat in her current form?

·
Heaux
29,706 Posts
You could argue that Maria has had decent preparation for Vekic having played Brady in Brisbane, but she still lost that match so...
Then again Vekic does seem like she could be a decent match-up for Maria.

·
Registered
52,979 Posts
Aus Open 2020

Best of luck, Maria! :)

A tough tricky draw. Yes, Maria must serve well and keep her UEs low.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Pray for her to face a pusher but not :sad:
I reckon a pusher is worse than a BBB

Maria has a tendency to find a way to lose to pushers when the balls keep coming back. At least BBB she will have a chance if she stays with them.

·
SharaFamily
21,146 Posts
I reckon a pusher is worse than a BBB

Maria has a tendency to find a way to lose to pushers when the balls keep coming back. At least BBB she will have a chance if she stays with them.

When was last time she lost to A pusher? Didnt remember well

1 - 20 of 116 Posts