Tennis Forum banner

841 - 854 of 854 Posts

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
Same thing happened at Wimbledon last year. Tanked sets 2 and 4 and still won. He needs to stop doing that though before someone actually makes him pay for it.
Looks to me like someone will only make him pay for it once he has blown the all-time slam record out of the water.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Haha bad personality! Get him out!

·
Registered
14,186 Posts
This is what's wrong with the WTA at the moment. There's no top-level vanguard to stop all of this randomness from winning slams. Up until the beginning of 2017, Serena routinely took care of her side of the draw, and more often than not, she'd face an elite opponent when she made the final, so the other side was, more or less, taking care of itself, too.

Now you can't count on Serena in a final, and draws are regularly falling apart, so her loss is a victory for the random player who managed to make it through.

As much as anyone tries to cast this as "depth", it's simply a matter of the top level being really inconsistent. Frankly makes the game less attractive to watch.
It definitely makes it less interesting to watch. I'm afraid I want to have my cake and eat it. I don't want anyone (i.e. an Osaka-type) in the future to come close to Serena's slam record. On the other hand, I do want a consistent cast of players at the top. Without that, women's tennis will struggle to hold my interest once Serena is gone.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
Novak is really incredible. Well deserved record-extending 8th Australian Open title.

It's amazing how the big 3 are inching closer and closer to Serena's numbers when she was so far ahead of them. When she won the 2017 AO she had 23 Slams while Federer had 17, Nadal 14 and Djokovic 12.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Speaking of the WTA, it really is frustrating that these girls can't be consistent. Late 90s to mid 00s were so good for the WTA because you had Hingis, Davenport, Venus, Serena, Mauresmo, Capriati, Clijsters, Henin, etc consistently making late stages and finals and it kept things so interesting.

Imagine how much fun the current WTA would be if Osaka, Muguruza, Halep, Kerber, Serena, Venus, Azarenka, Kvitova, Stephens, etc would get their shit together and were constantly meeting each other in SFs and Finals. One can only dream.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Novak post-2014 has become the king of raising his level just enough in key matches to get through. He's turning around tight matches that he was blowing during 2012-2014. It's nice to see that he has stolen a few slams given that he let 3-5 winnable slams go during that stretch. If he falls just short of the slam record, it will be because he let his foot off the gas mid-2016 and let Fedal vulture some slams. He was set to roll unchallenged for a few years and Fedal were DEMORALIZED. They would not have surged if Novak (and Murray) didn't suddenly leave a huge void at the top for them to vulture.

I don't think the Big 3 will catch Serena. I think 3-4 more slams for Novak to tie/pass Federer is pretty damn close to his ceiling. People are forgetting despite the results, this new young generation is ACTUALLY closing the gap. Just look at the type of losses the Big 3 are taking at Masters events. They weren't doing that pre-2017 and it's only been happening more frequently. They aren't as close in best-of-five but they are getting closer with taking the last two HC major finals deep into a 5th set. This was a key win for Novak to get over the younger generation if he hopes to hold them off long enough to get the record. Pretty much all his big losses in the last 3 years has been at the hand of that generation.

Don't get fooled. The narrative of the new generation surging will disappear because they are far off from the Big 3 at RG and Wimbledon, but they are coming. Watch out for them at the US Open and future HC majors because I feel when the dam breaks and one of them wins (Esp if it's over a Big 3 member in a slam final) the floodgate will open. It's why, despite my years of rooting against them, I root for Fedal to come through because Novak knows how to dispose of them. They all help keep the pigeons in their coup for one another (it's very Serena's relationship with Fridge/Drag circa 2012-2015).

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't think the Big 3 will catch Serena. I think 3-4 more slams for Novak to tie/pass Federer is pretty damn close to his ceiling.
Federer has no chance (he blew any hope of that at last year's Wimbledon), but I'm not too sure about Rafa and Novak. Thiem or Djoker can at least push Nadal at RG, but Rafa could still snag the next 2 to 3 French Open titles. Add in 1 or 2 USO or Wimbledon titles (again, not impossible), and he's there.

Novak seems like the more likely candidate despite being at 17. He can win at all the Slams, which can't be said for the others anymore. 6 Slams over the next 3 years is within the realm of possibility.

Watch out for them at the US Open and future HC majors because I feel when the dam breaks and one of them wins (Esp if it's over a Big 3 member in a slam final) the floodgate will open.
These past two Slam finals have definitely showed warning signs. Might be a less extreme case of what we've seen in the WTA since the 2017 AO, a Wild West scenario where many different players can win. I do wonder who will rise to the top when the Big 3 are gone...

It's why, despite my years of rooting against them, I root for Fedal to come through because Novak knows how to dispose of them.
Indeed - he has their number now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him snag a RG from under Nadal's nose at this point.

They all help keep the pigeons in their coup for one another (it's very Serena's relationship with Fridge/Drag circa 2012-2015).
I'm pretty sure Fridge is Vika, but who's Drag?

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
Novak's level was so poor. He had 40 UEs after 3 sets while I think Bad Personality only had something like 32.

Momentum shifted in Novak's favor in that 4-3* game in the 4th when Bad Personality netted that dropvolley (if THAT aint some Lordrena karma!!) with the whole court open. He started leaking a ton of errors after that point while Novak cut down on his own.

But even despite tonight's bad match, Novak looks much better this year than he did post-AO last season. He's not peaking by any means, but I'm very encouraged by his serving and how relaxed he has looked all month. Winning anything less than 3 of the 5 big titles this year should be disappointing.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Federer has no chance (he blew any hope of that at last year's Wimbledon), but I'm not too sure about Rafa and Novak. Thiem or Djoker can at least push Nadal at RG, but Rafa could still snag the next 2 to 3 French Open titles. Add in 1 or 2 USO or Wimbledon titles (again, not impossible), and he's there.

Novak seems like the more likely candidate despite being at 17. He can win at all the Slams, which can't be said for the others anymore. 6 Slams over the next 3 years is within the realm of possibility.

These past two Slam finals have definitely showed warning signs. Might be a less extreme case of what we've seen in the WTA since the 2017 AO, a Wild West scenario where many different players can win. I do wonder who will rise to the top when the Big 3 are gone...

Indeed - he has their number now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him snag a RG from under Nadal's nose at this point.

I'm pretty sure Fridge is Vika, but who's Drag?
I think that all assumes Serena won't get to 24 or 25. I think you have to remember a few things: Dull and Novak will be 34 and 33 come RG time. Time is not infinite for them. They rely a lot on their physicality to maintain the edge over their opponents (Novak less so). That edge has narrowed, and the question is for how much longer will they be able to do that? Nadal has been a master at managing his schedule, and Novak has been pretty good the last 2 years selectively paying the tour dust when it doesn't matter. It is possible they could stretch their reign out further then we would think. It will be harder for them to continue to do what they do into their mid/late 30's like Serena and Federer (whom by the way, spent the vast majority of his 30's routinely getting stopped at the end of slams).

I say this as a Novak stan, I think becoming the GOAT is whithin his grasp, but it's not a certainty. I basically thought he was set for a coronation after 2015/2016, and then out of no where came a 2-year injury tail spin where the tennis establishment pretended like he never existed and that Fedal's reign had never stopped. It was just last major where he was seemingly a lock that his elbow took him out and gifted a slam to Dull (and that injury hasn't gone away, it's simply being managed).

I don't think it's like the WTA. As of now, I think realistically Medvedev and Thiem that can snag a slam in the near future. Stefanos and Khachanov may not to be too far from joining that conversation. Zverev is probably just going to be an Elaine-type at slams. Otherwise people like Denis, Felix, Nick, and Rublev are simply one-off spoilers. Stan may actually be more likely to vulture an open-draw type situation than any of these young guns.

Oh and Drag= Meldonium.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think that all assumes Serena won't get to 24 or 25. I think you have to remember a few things: Dull and Novak will be 34 and 33 come RG time. Time is not infinite for them.
Yeah, I'm operating under the assumption that (1) Serena plays until USO 2021 and (2) doesn't get another Slam. Making that 2018 Wimbledon final gave me a lot of hope for her prospects (rusty, back from injury, and out of shape, but still getting that far), but the last three finals instilled doubt about her mental strength since her comeback.

And sadly, time isn't infinite for her, either. I hope for at least one more Slam or gold medal, but won't bank on it.

I don't think it's like the WTA. As of now, I think realistically Medvedev and Thiem that can snag a slam in the near future. Stefanos and Khachanov may not to be too far from joining that conversation. Zverev is probably just going to be an Elaine-type at slams. Otherwise people like Denis, Felix, Nick, and Rublev are simply one-off spoilers. Stan may actually be more likely to vulture an open-draw type situation than any of these young guns.
Thiem seems like the best bet of the young guns (3 finals already), but with all but the Big 3 being vulnerable to anyone, I could see any of those listed players taking a title or two. Heck, Anderson or Isner (nearly threw up for a second there) could snag one. Not as open as the WTA (esp. with 3 of 5 format), but much more so than the past 10 years.

Oh and Drag= Meldonium.
Ah, thanks.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Novak's level was so poor. He had 40 UEs after 3 sets while I think Bad Personality only had something like 32.

Momentum shifted in Novak's favor in that 4-3* game in the 4th when Bad Personality netted that dropvolley (if THAT aint some Lordrena karma!!) with the whole court open. He started leaking a ton of errors after that point while Novak cut down on his own.

But even despite tonight's bad match, Novak looks much better this year than he did post-AO last season. He's not peaking by any means, but I'm very encouraged by his serving and how relaxed he has looked all month. Winning anything less than 3 of the 5 big titles this year should be disappointing.
He better not think to flop in IW-Miami. He would've locked in YE #1 last year if he had done well in either, I think. Not that it's an important stat, but still.

Hopefully he plays better on the clay this year, too. Despite winning Madrid and making the Rome finals, I wasn't convinced by his form at all. I'm sure it didnt help that he was going for Novak Slam 2.0 at RG, so at least he'll have less pressure this time around.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
The inconsistency on the WTA tour is maddening. I dont think we'll have a dominant player for a long long time. But it would be nice if like 5 of these girls learned to be consistent so we can have some rivalries. Its like every tournament we go into anybody can win.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's amazing how the big 3 are inching closer and closer to Serena's numbers when she was so far ahead of them. When she won the 2017 AO she had 23 Slams while Federer had 17, Nadal 14 and Djokovic 12.
Exactly. Just goes to say that three years make a big difference in a career. I think Serena could’ve won more had she stayed and remained dedicated. We’ll never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53,510 Posts
Serena Williams 'maybe needs a new coaching strategy' - Patrick Mouratoglou

The interesting parts:

Williams said she made "far too many errors" when she lost to China's 27th seed Wang Qiang in Melbourne.
Then move better, Serena!
So many players move better than you!
The solution is sooooo easy.

"It's difficult to know how many chances she will have, I don't know how long she is going to be able to play, but being able to reach four Grand Slam finals says a lot about her level, and she's not that far.
Yes, time is slowly but surely running out for Serena.

"Her level is good enough but we have to understand what is going on and why she is not able to win one. There is a big difference between reaching a final and winning one."
The coach is to blame!
Fire the horrible coach and egoistic attention whore Mouratoglou, Serena!
And now !!!

841 - 854 of 854 Posts