Tennis Forum banner

301 - 320 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
It was a good tournament overall. She made it to the 4th round, beat defending champion in a good style, her fighting spirit was there. Definitely better start of the year than last season. We definitely have something to look forward in 2019 if she stays healthy.
Petra would destroy her anyway in the QF, so AO 2019 just wasn't meant to be for her.

What is worrying: it seems she can't produce four matches in a row in a good shape and with a decent hitting. It's the same pattern all over again. She's playing a good match against top opponent just to lose in a very bad way in the next round.
You never know when and where she will destroy herself loosing 7 or 8 games in a row basically gifting a match to her opponent.
But I believe it's a matter of lack of matches and she will somehow sort it out just for that one more GS title.

Hope she won't pull out of Sankt Petersburg. Great occasion to gain some points and matches.

·
Omg the hack journalist stuart fraser trying to provoke Maria in the press conference :haha:

On behalf of Scotland, I apologise for that guy. You should read his tennis articles, hilarious. The only thing you get from them is which players he likes/dislikes, you don't get much actual substance on the topic he's supposed to be writing about. Just look at his article on the Djokovic/Isner/ATP Director dispute, he called Popsisil "Trump-like" and compared Djokovic's handling of the situation to that of Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf during the Iraq war invasion. Sensationalist tripe. I can't believe he writes for The Times, his style of journalism is much more suited to the Daily Mail sports column.

·
Registered
12,434 Posts
It's good to see her being salty and no nonsense in the presser. She knows she fucked it and is starting to demand better of herself. No more of this just going out and trying her best business.

Hopefully she can build on this but I'm not sure what to expect in St Petersburg. She rarely plays her best in Russia.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I can only concur to the opinion that she lost her strength in groundstroke. It's no longer that lethal weapon that intimidate her opponent. I dont know if it's temporary due to her shoulder and her entire injury management, or something permanent due to that 15 months inactivity without tennis. Mental wise, she's still there. But sometimes, during the bad tennis day, the body simply cannot cope up with that...

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Not a bad tournament overall, just that period where she lost 9 games in a row was really odd. It's annoying because the match was totally winnable. And I'm not saying Petra is a cakewalk (although she is playing her 10th match in a row with no rest now), but it's also annoying that her draw just opened up real good last night. :eek:

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Not a bad tournament overall, just that period where she lost 9 games in a row was really odd. It's annoying because the match was totally winnable. And I'm not saying Petra is a cakewalk (although she is playing her 10th match in a row with no rest now), but it's also annoying that her draw just opened up real good last night. :eek:
I still can't believe the fuckery that went down after she won that first set until 0-3 down in the third. That was something else :eek: .

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
How many tournaments will Maria play in before RG? How high in the rankings can she go before RG? Can she go high enough to avoid playing a top 8 in the 3rd round of a slam?

·
How many tournaments will Maria play in before RG? How high in the rankings can she go before RG? Can she go high enough to avoid playing a top 8 in the 3rd round of a slam?
I imagine St Petersburg, Indian Wells, Miami, Stuttgart, Rome? Probably will skip Madrid, it's kind of useless for RG cause the court is too fast.

She has essentially no points to defend up until Madrid so I'm guessing if she can string wins together the ranking will go up a bit.

·
Milk and honey
3,282 Posts
I never came to post here.....anyway, she would've been murdered in the QF regardless, but never should've lost that match. Definitely worrying that she seemed to lose all power and confidence seemingly out of nowhere but you could tell from the start that she was really struggling already.

Definitely continues the trend of losing badly when she does lose (in terms of level, etc). Plays a solid few matches and then completely falls off the wagon. Lack of confidence, recent experience in these matches, the immense stress of the last few years and the body has definitely taken its toll. The old Maria would've managed to come back when Barty was almost handing it to her late in that third.

However, it's a really positive tournament and she honestly seems the hungriest she's been in a while - and having a happy off court life can only help ease the pain of these tough losses and move on. Priority #1 is her health so I hope she only plays St Pete's if she is ready. If she is then it's a great opportunity to win some points.

Onwards, Masha. :cheer:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Still showed her fight and grit in this AO which is more important. Barty was certainly not the same today during the night match. Her slice was not as effective during the day match when it is much slower.

I am so happy to see her actually rested first before flying to St Petersburg. No need to rush when you can recover better in a good facility. Hopefully she can retain some form and get some good wins at home.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
As much as I am critical with Serena's on and off court behavior, I do think she was affected by that ankle. She must feel very cautious with her movement, although she always had the disposition of MTO if she feels it would help. But at the very least, mentally being very careful on her footwork, really take a tool on her entire game and thus the "choking".

Such a dramatic turn of event...

301 - 320 of 341 Posts