Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,163 Posts
If her body can hold together and she can muster up some sort of form...her draw isn’t awful.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Draw:

R1: qualifier (just not Andreescu or Kostyuk please)
R2: Cirstea/Peterson
R3: Wozniacki
R4: Barty/Ostapenko
QF: Kvitova/Sabalenka
SF: Kerber/Stephens/Bertens

Her draw is not bad at all. First 2 rounds are hopefully good warm-ups, then Wozniacki - not too bad from the top 8 seeds. Then Barty whom I have never afraid of, or Ostapenko whose form is horrendous atm. She avoids Serena, Halep, Osaka, Svitolina until the final, avoids Kerber until the semi, and does not have to meet dangerous floaters like Venus or Vika in the first 2 rounds. If her body can hold up for once, she can do some damage here. But that's probably just my wishful thinking :lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts
With Maria and her fragile body who knows...even if somehow she reaches R3 La push will be merciless ...At least its not Kerber.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
She should reach 3rd round if she's healthy.

Match up with Wozniacki is a nightmare for Maria :sad:
Actually under Hoggy that's not the case - under Thomas she was always more about spin and angles, not purely pace and outhitting her.

Wozniacka prefers to work with pace, so not feeding her with it is a good tactic.

In top form I would really like Maria's chances, since she would be focused on tactic more, but we all know she most likely is not though.

So, yeah.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Only Halep could be better from 1-4 seeds. Kerber is more aggressive than Wozniacka, and Osaka is just full package going on her at this point.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw, it's the 4th slam in a row in which she has to play a qualifier in R1. I just look at the qualifying draw and I don't know more than half of the players :lol: She cannot be that unlucky to play the red hot Andreescu right?!

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
Hopefully the Q she gets isn't too bad. Was hoping for Woz out of the possible seeds. Although of course if that happens it'll be a night match so chance I might not get to watch.

We'll just have to see how first, hopefully couple, of rounds go.

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
I can't see why Maria can't at least reach R3 here to be honest. If she doesn't then her season / career might come to an end earlier than we had all anticipated :tears:. I just want her to have a go at Wozniacki that's all. Out of all the seeds she's the one who Maria can hit through and not get overpowered in return and it'd be a big win for her comeback considering the types of players she's had to face ever since.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Btw, it's the 4th slam in a row in which she has to play a qualifier in R1. I just look at the qualifying draw and I don't know more than half of the players :lol: She cannot be that unlucky to play the red hot Andreescu right?!
I was just about to comment on that. That's just crazy.

We have no idea how her body is holding up, so it's difficult to predict anything.
With so much uncertainty surrounding Maria's form, defending last year's points seems like it would be a good result.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Feels soo unfair that Maria has as many Aussie Open as borz and kerber...and less than guest. :sad:

She reached soo many SF and Finals here :sad:

1 - 20 of 341 Posts