Tennis Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
I was happy to see that Canadians were in there helping Oz fight their fires. Personally, I pledged $1 per Ace on the AusOpen site... just to help the Koalas, don't really care much about the rest.

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,072 Posts
Fires within a couple of kilometres of my apartment at present :oops:

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
Fires within a couple of kilometres of my apartment at present :oops:
Don't take any risks Tim and have a plan ready now to evacuate if you need to. Stay safe.

·
Shovel Yourself Out Of The Shit
25,072 Posts
^Thanks guys :hug:

Fire is now under control, and my apartment was not damaged. Should be cooler and less windy tomorrow.

Imma go buy some home insurance ... 🙀

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Part 3 (I couldn't edit my placeholder) update - country is still burning and yet more f*ckery:
Damage (8-24 Jan):
Deaths: 32 people
Wildlife: 1bn
Homes: around 2000
Total area burned: est 7.7m - 8.4m hectares (4.9m hectares still burning in NSW alone)
Economic damage: $4.4bn
Sources: How big are the fires burning in Australia? Interactive map

When ScoMo said they’d pay volunteer firefighters? Guess he wanted them to fight for that too.
From the article in the tweet:
The promise
Eligibility criteria: 10 days or more volunteering as a Rural Fire Brigade member fighting fire
Compensation: $300 per day up to a maximum of $6,000

The reality in Queensland
Eligibility criteria:

• Volunteer becomes eligible to claim for days on the fire line after fighting fires for 10 days - cannot claim for first 10 days, can only claim for days after the first 10
• Can only claim for those hours fighting the fires within normal working hours e.g. if a firefighter fought fire for 18 hours on one day and only 4 of the 18 hours were within the volunteer’s normal working day, then can only claim for those 4 hours
• If a firefighter made up the hours away from work by working at night or on the weekend, or received payment from their employer, then cannot claim those hours
• Must prove loss of income

Compensation:
• Volunteer can only claim a daily rate commensurate with their normal daily wage, after tax, up to a maximum of $300
• If a volunteer works part time and they fought a fire on days that they do not normally work, then they cannot claim for those days
• If a volunteer is retired, then they cannot claim any days
• If a volunteer is a primary producer then they must be able to prove that if they had stayed home on the days they fought the fire, they would have made money

ScoMo spruiks tourism while we the country continues to burn:

The government shows where their priorities lie:

ScoMo makes another faux pas:

Firefighters from the US flew to Australia to help fight the fires. Unfortunately, three died when their plane crashed during an operation 😢

The men, all former service members in their 40s, worked for Coulson Aviation, a private company in Canada that has worked with firefighters in the United States and elsewhere to suppress fires. They died after taking off on one of the company’s large air tankers, a Lockheed C-130, on a mission to suppress the bush fires that have killed more than 30 people.
Source with more info about each man: These Are the 3 American Firefighters Who Died in the Australia Plane Crash

29 Jan 2020:
The prime minister, Scott Morrison, has rejected suggestions Australia could increase its international advocacy on climate change, saying the country is already “carrying its load” and must adapt to a warmer climate regardless of emissions policy […]Department of Environment data suggests national emissions will be 16% below 2005 levels by 2030, well short of the minimum 26% goal. The government is using carryover credits from the Kyoto protocol to make up the difference.
Source: Australia already 'carrying its load' on emissions and must adapt to warmer climate, PM says

Jumping back to December 2019: Australia rated the worst performers on climate change policy
The 2020 Climate Change Performance Index, prepared by a group of thinktanks comprising the NewClimate Institute, the Climate Action Network and Germanwatch, looks at national climate action across the categories of emissions, renewable energy, energy use and policy.

Across all four categories, Australia was ranked as the sixth-worst performing of the 57 countries assessed.
Source: Australia ranked worst of 57 countries on climate change policy
The report: https://newclimate.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/CCPI-2020-Results_Web_Version.pdf

Going back even further - before the fires even started
Links between politicians and the coal industry - an explanation for some of the politicians’ behaviour against the national interest?

00_GP_DIAGRAM_Final_02_JAMESMCUPTES_ANDREWHIRST-UPDATE-1.jpg

See video here:

·
Registered
19,461 Posts
Bit of weather "humour"
Sydney experienced its highest rainfall in 20 years, leaving 96,000 without power.

Of course we could have asked for some of this sooner. But it is always in extremes.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts