Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may be wondering what happened with the bushfires so I’ve summarised some of the main points leading up to this catastrophe. There is a focus on our government response as there are some serious wtf moments which meant that insufficient preventative measures were taken. I cannot hide my personal bias against this government but I’ve included sources to support the facts which have formed my personal opinion.

It's long, it's shady in parts. You probably won't read but it's cathartic for me to write it all out.

Part 1
May 2019: Power to the Climate Change Deniers

Our federal government (the Liberal/National Coalition Party, “the Libs”) came into power in 2019 (so two more years of this BS) led by our brainless leader, Scott Morrison (“ScoMo”, “Scotty from Marketing”). ScoMo is Australia’s first Pentacostal Prime Minister.

Fun Fact:

ScoMo had a brief career as a child actor, appearing in several television commercials and small roles in local shows. Some reports have suggested that he was the iconic 1970s Vicks "Love Rub" kid, but footage to confirm or refute this has not been found; he has stated he was in a different Vicks commercial.
Source: Scott Morrison - Wikipedia

The Libs were known to have a lax stance on climate change – they unravelled the previous government’s carbon tax and have members who are open climate change deniers. It was acknowledged by experts that their climate policy would not be enough to make an impact on the environment. I started a thread to express my fears of having climate change deniers in office: 2019 Australian Federal Election

General source for the following section: Morrison's government on the bushfires: from attacking climate 'lunatics' to calling in the troops

April, September 2019: Government ignores early warnings about bushfires
More than 20 former fire and emergency chiefs from multiple states and territories say Australia is unprepared for worsening natural disasters from climate change and governments are putting lives at risk.
Source: Former fire chiefs warn Australia unprepared for escalating climate threat

Australia could have been better prepared for the current bushfire crisis facing multiple states if the federal government had heeded warnings from emergency leaders as early as April, former Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullins says […]

[Mullens] said an intervention in April would have given the government an opportunity to lease more large aircraft tankers, like the one that contained the fire in Turramurra on Tuesday, in time to help fight the fires currently ravaging northern NSW and southern Queensland.
Source: 'We saw it coming': Former NSW fire chief says government was warned on bushfires

October 2019: The fires start
Bushfire season has started early and it is not like others in the past.
Size of bushfires.jpg

Source: How this year’s fires compare to others

December 2019: Happy F*ckery Everybody!
This is when it became clear the degree to which our elected officials are incompetent, morally corrupt and arrogant…

Mid-December: ScoMo, Idiot in Chief is rumoured to be on holidays but the media have trouble confirming because his office won’t say where he is except to deny he was in Hawaii. It was eventually confirmed that he was indeed in Hawaii. He defends his holiday by saying:
  • He didn’t want to disappoint his kids. What a good dad… taking them on an exotic holiday and letting their country burn into the ground.
  • It didn’t matter that he was away since he wouldn’t be holding a hose to put out the fires himself. Bad take since it’s a national emergency so he was derelict in his duties – and he lied about it. Liar, liar climate change denier…

Other Ministers have since taken their own holidays during the disaster – not registering the nation’s reaction to ScoMo's break:

Defence Minister, Linda Reynolds was in Bali and tried to hide it.
NSW Emergency Services Minister, David Elliott went to Europe. He later admitted he was wrong to do so but will not resign.
Source: Another government minister was on holiday in Bali
[\SPOILER]

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2
19 December:
Two volunteer firefighters die 😢

22 December: ScoMo returns to Sydney after announcing he’ll return “asap” on 20 December.

29 December: Reluctance to compensate volunteer firefighters for extended time battling fires.
Morrison agrees to compensation payments made to NSW volunteer firefighters who have lost income due to fighting bushfires, but he sees no further role for the commonwealth. “We’re there to help the states and territories as they address these crises. The states are the ones, as premier knows all too well, who are directly responsible for the funding of their fire services and all the other things that are done.”

Source: Press Conference - NSW RFS Headquarters | Prime Minister of Australia

30 December: Another volunteer firefighter dies when his truck rolls 😢

New Years Eve: ScoMo enjoys the fireworks in Sydney.

1 January 2020: ScoMo enjoys a bit of cricket. In his address to the teams, he says forthcoming Sydney Test match will be “played out against terrible events” but that “at the same time Australians will be gathered whether it’s at the SCG or around television sets all around the country and they’ll be inspired by the great feats of our cricketers from both sides of the Tasman and I think they’ll be encouraged by the spirit shown by Australians”.

The wanker.

2 January: He still doesn’t get it.
Morrison reiterates he has no plans to change Australia’s emissions reduction policy. He defends his government’s response to the fires by saying he doesn’t want state and federal governments “to be tripping over each other in order to somehow outbid each other in the response”.

4 January: He starts to get it. Realises he needs to go into damage control (and may as well raise party funds while he is at it).
He makes an ad on behalf of the Liberal Party not the Australian Government. And he is distastefully spinning the event as though he played no part in the clusterf*ck leading up to it.

But wait, there’s more! Scotty from Marketing is raising funds for the Liberal Party – not the emergency services. WTF.

ScoMo is now officially ScumMo.

The Damage (estimates to date).
Death toll:
25 people dead so far
Damage: About 10 million hectares burned, including 5 million hectares in NSW.
Wildlife: About half a billion animals have died

Sources: How this year’s fires compare to others
Fears entire species of plants and animals lost to bushfires [Warning: contains distressing photos of animals]
😢

·
Registered
19,238 Posts
The bit about not wanting to overstep state govt toes is simply outrageous. Use this when talking about building and road infrastructure proposals. But not when there's a national emergency going on where time is of the essence. It was clear we were struggling and stretched in every way. At very least productive dialogue for an action plan between Federal and State governments would have been nice.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Thanks for putting all this together. It's heartbreaking to see the extent of the destruction and hard to get your head around. It's gutting to know that the useless government may have been able to reduce the impact but chose to ignore warnings and bugger off on holidays while people and millions of animals were being killed. I hope your idiot PM is held to account.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
This is so so so sad.
I dont talk about people.
We are billions.
Im talking bout the nature.
This is a big drama.
All my best wishes to Australia and all the species that are dying with this cruel fatality.
I hope the bastards that made it, die in jail.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bit about not wanting to overstep state govt toes is simply outrageous. Use this when talking about building and road infrastructure proposals. But not when there's a national emergency going on where time is of the essence. It was clear we were struggling and stretched in every way. At very least productive dialogue for an action plan between Federal and State governments would have been nice.
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. There were so many missteps that it's hard to rank just how bad each one was in relation to each other. Refusal to accept the advice from experts or meet with emergency leaders before the bush fires started shows gross negligence. Initial refusal to compensate volunteer firefighters, walking away when people asked for help, and fundraising for the Liberal Party, shows he is devoid of humanity and compassion - and frankly, a vile human being.

He needs to be forced out of office. He is in over his head and has let us all down.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is so so so sad.
I dont talk about people.
We are billions.
Im talking bout the nature.
This is a big drama.
All my best wishes to Australia and all the species that are dying with this cruel fatality.
I hope the bastards that made it, die in jail.
I am heartbroken by the loss of wildlife 💔
(this is not my Twitter account)

I also worry about the people living in the danger areas. Some of our TFers are in such a situation and I hope they're doing okay.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
what is his support among the Australian people? In Europe idiots are usually reelected, so this could very much happen to Australia

·
Registered
19,238 Posts
what is his support among the Australian people? In Europe idiots are usually reelected, so this could very much happen to Australia
Unlikely. The Coalition won the last election in a surprising victory because the Labor Opposition seemed very shallow in public eyes. They were more about criticizing Coalition policy than providing many coherent goals, hence people did not really know what they were voting for. Result defied the polls. Not many really wanted Bill Shorten as PM either. With Anthony Albanese instead, they might have had a better shot.

But it's rare a party that has run govt for 3 straight terms is elected again. See Howard's 2007. I did not mind Abbott as much as others but comparatively, Scomo is so meh right now I can't really see him survive the next election. If the LNP were smart they'd cut down their losses.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't edit my Part 3 post but the Australian Government has now rejected the offer from the Dutch to send more firefighters over. Even the Dutch are confused as to why, and are continuing to lobby to convince our Government to accept their help.

Our firefighters are exhausted and overwhelmed and another firefighter died in Victoria last night :cry: This decision is outrageous. ScoMo and his party simply do not care.

More than 400 firefighters in Denmark have signed up to travel to Australia and lend a hand alongside crews from the U.S., New Zealand, and Canada. Denmark's Emergency Management Agency this week formally offered to immediately send an initial group of 50 volunteers [...]

Australia's ambassador to Denmark, Mary Ellen Miller, thanked the firefighters for their offer but insisted they were not required. 'The bushfires are of unprecedented dimensions when it comes to the scale and the heartbreaking consequences, but fortunately Australia is really well equipped and organised to deal with the situation at this time,' she said.[...]

Part-time firefighter Søren Elkrog, who organised the rally of his comrades, said the group would continue to lobby the Australian government. 'We have difficulty understanding this decision but we have not lost our hope, even though we prefer to see a huge yes from [Australia],' he said.
Source: Australia snubs offer from Denmark to send firefighters

And this:
ScoMo's going to put us all in contention for the Darwin award.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
I have an old friend who lives in Australia who has been posting rants on Facebook and blames the entire situation on "The Left". I will be sending him a link to this post. 😉

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Old" as in you've known them for a long time or "old" as in dinosaur to prove that the ice age didn't happen? :p

Putting aside politics and beliefs about climate change, it cannot be refuted that the government did not manage the fires effectively despite evidence (eg. timing and intensity of fires, expert reports, appeals to fed gov) to show that the fires were out of control and required federal assistance. Strip away the noise and look at the immediate problem and it shows just how badly the situation was managed by the current government.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts