Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preferably retroactive I'd say.
Boo hoo, Aussies too bad you had to play what 2 months later how hard is that?
Hey there are 16 teams a bye would be an unfair advantage deal with it.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Hey, dont' go hating on Australia.

France asked for one too, and they won their first round tie this year.

The fact that the two finalists from the year before have to start defending their positions 2 months later is stupid.

if you ask me, they should get a first round bye.

This is the second year in a row that one of the pervious years finalists have bottomed out in the first round - Spain in 2001 and now Australia in 2002. Coincidence?

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I think that's a good idea!:p

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I think it is the third time in a row actually - France lost in 2000 after losing the 1999 final. But I just read that in the paper, I'm no tennis historian!

I think it's a good idea as a "reward" for the finalists whose top players are often exhausted after playing that extra few weeks after the end of the main season.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
are there any byes offered to finalists in the fed cup?

maybe they should get byes but would having 2 countries miss out on playing in the world group mess everything up - like world griup qualifing or something!

i have confused myself! :eek:

feel free to answer me if you have any idea what i am on about! :eek:

·
63,552 Posts
You're right... remove two nations in the World Group :rolleyes:

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
I want a first round bye for the semifinalists of last year.
And I didn't want it last year ;) So am I biased or what?!;)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
A bye is ridiculous in a TEAM competition. How can a country deserve to win the Davis Cup if it only has to play two matches? And the fact that the defending champion has lost the last three years in the first round shows the depth of competition for the cup - figuratively almost any of the nations in the world group could win; why give advantages to some and not to others? Add to that lost revenue and opportuniteis to spread the game - its great to see a team like USA or Australia being sent to play in a 'developing tennis' country, and I think its one bad idea.

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
*sigh* defending champion didn't lose in first round this year :sad: nothing against the french ;)

·
Premium Member
181,854 Posts
Spain wanted bye as well last yr

I bet they will consider it if US are davis cup champs

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
But seriously, a first round is unfair to the other teams that do not get byes. The thing is that would be too easy for the finalists, and most likely they will keep reaching the finals.

I think 2 months rest is enough. If anything they should consider changes to scheduling instead...

I like the 16 team format as it is now. No need to change it.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Well 2 months rest is obviously not enough or it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

i think the best solution if not to give a bye, but to bump the date of the competition up a couple months - change the format somehow.

"Spain wanted bye as well last yr

I bet they will consider it if US are davis cup champs"

TBE - on one hand I totally agree with you. On the other, I recall Andre and Pete, and Johnny Mac whining for years about the format - and they were told to stuff it.
But i wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that is so much crap. If you can play the Australian open a month and a half later you can get a team together for Davis Cup. The Aussies never cryed when the US had to do it. If you can't win a first round tie 2 months later you weren't going to win the Davis Cup this year anyways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts