Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aussies vying for Medibank wildcards

Australia has several players vying for one of the coveted wildcards in the main draw of the Medibank International, being played at Sydney Olympic Park from January 7-13.

There are just three main draw wildcards available in the respective singles draws for the men and women.

Tournament Director Craig Watson will allocate two each, while the remaining wildcards are up for grabs.

Eight Australian men and eight Australian women will battle it out at the Sydney Olympic Park Tennis Centre from January 2 to 4 in an effort to claim the last place.

Australian Davis Cup player Peter Luczak will be aiming to make it into the main draw for the third time.

In 2003 he qualified and last year bowed out in the second round after receiving a wild card.

The 27-year-old Victorian will be joined by Nathan Healey (NSW), Alun Jones (ACT), Paul Baccanello (SA), Adam Feeney (NSW), Nick Lindahl (NSW), Greg Jones (NSW), and Brydan Klein (WA).

In the women's, Sydney's Sophie Ferguson, who has played in the Australian Fed Cup side, has struggled with injury over the last year or so but is now fully fit.

She received a wildcard into the main draw in 2005 and is the only woman in the field to have played the Medibank International main draw previously.

Seven other women have been included in the draw.

They are: Lauren Breadmore (VIC), Trudi Musgrave (NSW), Monique Adamczak (NSW), Emily Hewson (NSW), Nicole Kriz (NSW) Lisa D'Amelio (VIC) and Casey Dellacqua (WA).

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
wouldn't it of been better to do this before tennis season started? Anyway, good luck to everyone, i notice wayne is also not in this draw. Where is he?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Nice to see Monique, Kriz and Dellacqua on the list

Certainly think that Casey and Sophie should recieve the Main Draw WC

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Certainly think that Casey and Sophie should recieve the Main Draw WC
Definitely agree with you there. Just wondering whats the go - if they both play GC and are still in it..what will happen with the Sydney MD WC playoff..

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Definitely agree with you there. Just wondering whats the go - if they both play GC and are still in it..what will happen with the Sydney MD WC playoff..
that's my problem with it, it should of been played before the tennis season started.

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
didn't sam get in direct?

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
didn't sam get in direct?
nope, last time i checked she was about 3rd on the alt list. It's a real strong field this year.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pratty's definitely got 1.....
Unless she gets into Hobart Direct, then she'd take that and free up another wildcard I think.

Stosur is guaranteed a WC here too.

Playoff should be Ferguson or Dellacqua, hopefully the loser then gets the remaining Hobart WC!

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
Wildcard Playoff

Dellacqua def Wheeler 26 64 10-8
D'Amelio def D.Dominikovic 61 67 13-11
Musgrave def Breadmore 36 76 10-8
Adamczak def Hewson 46 63 10-8

Dellacqua def D'Amelio 75 64
Musgrave def Adamczak 64 60

Final

Casey Dellacqua vs Trudi Musgrave

Final to be Played 9am Wednesday at SITC

Good Luck Casey :wavey:

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Interesting scores :eek: I don't like the use of the super tiebreak though.

Looks like all the girls fought their arses off in the first round. Great to see :) Great effort from Lisa D'Amelio in particular.

Good to see Monique get revenge on Emily, but :mad: at the scoreline against Trudi.

Good luck Casey in the final :wavey: I'm more a fan of Trudi's, but I'd love to see Casey play against the top players as I think she'd have a better shot.

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
Yes they dont use super tie breaks in md or qualies so imo shouldn't use them here!!!

Be good for Casey she needs more pratice and matches against the top players!

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
It's a pity Sophie won't get a wc because of this playoff being played now but good luck to casey in the final, it would be nice to see her play at Sydney.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Sorry can anyone clarify what will happen to Soph? Like if Myskina pulls out will a next in main draw person be pushed up or can they grant another WC? Or is it over? Or a qualifying WC? Or hobart?

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Well they're not going to give out a fourth WC. If/when Myskina pulls out, the next in will get through.

Basically, Sophie couldn't be in two places at once, so it's a bit unfortunate they had this playoff thing so early in the week!

Anyway, I'm sure Soph will probably get a Hobart WC :) If not, then qualies it is.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts