Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennis Australia have raised doubts over their scheduled Davis Cup fixture away to crisis-hit Argentina.
The International Tennis Federation (ITF) have sent a delegation to the South American nation - which has seen rioting and looting following the state's slide towards backruptcy.

Australia's coach Wally Masur said his team would wait for the outcome of the ITF's investigation before committing to the match, due to be played in Buenos Aires from 8-10 February.

"We are expecting an appraisal of the situation in a day or two but the word is that they're feeling pretty positive," Masur said.

"Ultimately Tennis Australia will be guided by the Department of Foreign Affairs, but we would never put our players' safety in jeopardy

Tennis Australia have suggested switching the match to a neutral country, although Masur said time was running out to find a venue.

If the match goes ahead, the Australians still hope to include in their line-up world number one Lleyton Hewitt, who has been diagnosed with chicken pox.

Masur is currently in Sydney to watch two other contenders for the Australia team, Wayne Arthurs and Andrew Ilie, in the Adidas International.

Australia lost the Davis Cup final to France last month in Melbourne, having won it in 1999 against the same opponents and then lost to Spain in the 2000 decider.

And the British Foreign offcices advice for going to Argentina (I feel this is the most reliable one)
Argentina
Last Updated: 21 December 2001
Still Current at: 07 January 2002

Argentina is going through a period of severe economic hardship. Social unrest has broken out in recent days, with sporadic looting of shops and angry demonstrations, at times violent, against the authorities. In response, the Government has declared a state of emergency, giving police sweeping powers of arrest. A general strike has been called and could be prolonged. This may seriously disrupt public services, especially transport. British nationals are advised to be alert, avoid demonstrations and public gatherings, watch the news and keep in touch with events. There is no specific threat to foreigners and we do not advise against travel to Argentina.

Those remaining in Argentina for more than three months are encouraged to register with the British Embassy in Buenos Aires.

Excuses, excuses, first off it was AFTER the draw was done the Aussies said that the 2 finalists should have a bye in the first round, and now this...I think Argentina is perfectally safe to play in, the British team had to travel to Ecuador which is one place you do not want to go to

what is it, they know they will lose away to Argentina on clay, and are just trying to get out of playing??

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
What do u mean by saying we only said that after the draw was made?? We have been saying that for years!!!!!!!!! Australia has been in the last 3 Davis Cup Finals....I think its fair enough for the finalists to get a bye.

And why would we be scared of playing Argentina on clay? We did beat Brazil on that very same surface did we not?

Sure Argentina is gonna be VERY tough, but this is Davis Cup, and Australia will play anywhere, anytime...now if only they could get Philippoussis back, then we'd be sailing.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
babsi said:
what is it, they know they will lose away to Argentina on clay, and are just trying to get out of playing??
ummmm... are you willing to bet your life savings on that??? i'm willing to bet my life on aussies winning this one comfortably!

australia DO deserve a bye in the first round no doubt!

i also hope mark decides to return to davis cup! then we'd win 5-zip!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
They should go or else the tie should be awarded to Argentina as a w/o

Sport and Politics shouldn't mix, and anyway whats happening now might not be a problem in 4 weeks

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
Australia should just play the match, because really what's going in Argentina just now, has nothing to do with tennis, and there is no reason why the tennis should be effected. The Australians should just go and play the match and not complain about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts