Tennis Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Virginia Slims thread there has been some discussion as to whether Evonne Goolagong ever achieved the number one ranking during her great run in 1976. Goolagong states in her autobio that she was thrilled to return to the #1 ranking for the first time since 1971. I think we all agree that she never made it past #2 on the official WTA computer rankings system that had begun a few months earlier in fall 1975. But since that ranking system was so new, there were other rankings in place - such as this one (see attached) from Tennis Magazine's October 1976 issue. I recall WorldTennis also having their own computer system until the mid-80's. Somehow it always ranked Tracy Austin very high, even in 1984.

It is amazing that Goolagong only lost to one person, Evert, the first 8 months of the year. By August she had lost 4 times to Evert, while Evert had lost twice to Evonne and once each to Martina and Fromholtz. Of course, if WTT didn't exist I am sure there would have been more Evonne/Chrissie match-ups over the spring/summer.

Another thing...wasn't one of the losses to Evert at a four woman invite, made-for-tv event? The LEGGS Challenge or something along those lines. Does that really count as an official tournament?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Mark39 said:
In the Virginia Slims thread there has been some discussion as to whether Evonne Goolagong ever achieved the number one ranking during her great run in 1976. Goolagong states in her autobio that she was thrilled to return to the #1 ranking for the first time since 1971. I think we all agree that she never made it past #2 on the official WTA computer rankings system that had begun a few months earlier in fall 1975. But since that ranking system was so new, there were other rankings in place - such as this one (see attached) from Tennis Magazine's October 1976 issue. I recall WorldTennis also having their own computer system until the mid-80's. Somehow it always ranked Tracy Austin very high, even in 1984.

It is amazing that Goolagong only lost to one person, Evert, the first 8 months of the year. By August she had lost 4 times to Evert, while Evert had lost twice to Evonne and once each to Martina and Fromholtz. Of course, if WTT didn't exist I am sure there would have been more Evonne/Chrissie match-ups over the spring/summer.

Another thing...wasn't one of the losses to Evert at a four woman invite, made-for-tv event? The LEGGS Challenge or something along those lines. Does that really count as an official tournament?

The noticable thing about the ranking order is that it is on a percentage of wins of all matches played. That means that a loss to Evonne Goolagong is the same as one to Linky Boshoff for example. IMO the level of players you lose to has to be taken into consideration.

It would also appear that all tournaments are of equal value then and I doubt anyone would agree with that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts