Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through Day 4, more than 10,000 people have attended sessions compared to last year.

Thursdays #s:
Day: 33,048 (record).
Night: 23,135.
Total: 56,183 (record. Old record: 55,982, Aug. 31, 2002).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
10,000 more ppl have attended than last year....hmmm...thats' interesting because according to alot ppl on this board and the williams themselves the US Open was supposed to come to a crashing halt without them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I think its good, but I dont see another Womens night. I would like to see it, but this time they should let the first 1000 women in free, so its like ladies night at a bar or something.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
janie said:
It's an Event; it's the place to be, man! :D

And let's face it; the men are playing, too. And they've had some good matches.
That's where the attendence spike is; the women's matches are not very well attended, including the night matces.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
lizchris said:
That's where the attendence spike is; the women's matches are not very well attended, including the night matces.
People don't have time to walk from the grandstand to AA before it's over.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
lizchris said:
I don't agree with that.I haven't noticed that there has been more ppl at men's matches...when matches on the outer courts are shown there isn't likely to be more ppl at men's match.As for AA,the women get stuck playing the 11:00am match....alot of the attendance at any particular match[women's or men's] has to do with whether or not an American is playing.I do notice a spike there.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
squawk box said:
I don't agree with that.I haven't noticed that there has been more ppl at men's matches...when matches on the outer courts are shown there isn't likely to be more ppl at men's match.As for AA,the women get stuck playing the 11:00am match....alot of the attendance at any particular match[women's or men's] has to do with whether or not an American is playing.I do notice a spike there.
It's not the men's problem that the women only have to play best of three whereas they have to play the best of five. That is why the women play first, even at night. The other night when Jennifer was playing, the stadium was about half enply. But when Andre played, the stadium was about 3/4 full. You can argue that Jennifer's match was short, but if people really wanted to see her, they would have gotten there early.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dani vs tami- yeah real crowd puller there ain it??? :rolleyes:
The television figures will be the real test of the usopens success- the people who are attending bought there tickets months/weeks ago when the willaims were sheduled to play- no refunds for people so you they might aswell attend... :rolleyes:

Nice try but these stats can't really be affected by the willaims absence or presence...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
lizchris said:
It's not the men's problem that the women only have to play best of three whereas they have to play the best of five. That is why the women play first, even at night. The other night when Jennifer was playing, the stadium was about half enply. But when Andre played, the stadium was about 3/4 full. You can argue that Jennifer's match was short, but if people really wanted to see her, they would have gotten there early.
:) lol..like I said the other day that is complete nonsense that because the women play b/3 as opposed to b/5 that they should play the 11:00am match.There is plenty of time during the day,and they have done this before in years past,to put a guys match on at 11:00am.They've got the whole day to play matches on AA.I can understand putting the women on first at night though...unfortunantly they pick the most uncompetive women's match-ups to put out there.

·
49,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
villa said:
Dani vs tami- yeah real crowd puller there ain it??? :rolleyes:
The television figures will be the real test of the usopens success- the people who are attending bought there tickets months/weeks ago when the willaims were sheduled to play- no refunds for people so you they might aswell attend... :rolleyes:

Nice try but these stats can't really be affected by the willaims absence or presence...
You do too much :rolleyes:

These #s are not ticket sales, but rather turnstyle clicks. Meaning, actually persons who passed through the gate. So nice try, but :rolleyes:

;) :wavey:

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Seles said:
You do too much :rolleyes:

These #s are not ticket sales, but rather turnstyle clicks. Meaning, actually persons who passed through the gate. So nice try, but :rolleyes:

;) :wavey:
first off if you pay hundreds of dollars to get tickets/ hotel reservations/ plane tickets (which are also non-refundable most times) you are going whether your fave is there or not. Lets get real. Serena lost in the qtrs at Charleston the first year I was there and I had championship tickets which of course I bought months and months in advance and only bought because I thought Serena was going to be in the final. Do you think I then blew those tickets off cause she lost and wasn't there?

Maybe you think people don't care about their money like that but I know different.

The true numbers will be in the casual viewer, ie tv. I don't think anyone seriously thought the ticket gate numbers were going to go down and I don't remember anyone saying that. I do remember people saying Celebrities won't be their in full numbers (who actually cares about celebrities) and that the tv numbers were down. Well that's what I've heard most Williams fans say. We won't know if this is the case or not until the end.

·
Registered
850 Posts
squawk box said:
The women's matches have been very sparse. The Williams sisters have brought women's tennis to the forefront and if you want to deny that then you have got to be nuts.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Midnite Surfer said:
The women's matches have been very sparse. The Williams sisters have brought women's tennis to the forefront and if you want to deny that then you have got to be nuts.
The women's matches have NOT been sparse!The Mauresmo and Shaunessy matches were packed.Also,the Clijsters match on AA that followed a long Blake match late in the afternoon still had good crowd.Yes one of us is nuts but its not me...

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Midnite Surfer said:
No kidding. Did you see the dropoff in attendence when the Blake match was finished and the Kim/Svetlana match was in progess?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The US OPEN is an event and they have been selling more and more ground passes every year, therefore more people on the grounds.
The first week is the best, you can't get into Ash or Armstrong, but I had a great time with my niece this week looking at the lower ranked players. Venus and Serena will be missed more in the second week for ticket holders

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
They may have sited their Mikes differently this year but I am struck by the fact that the US crowds seem happy with what they are seeing and are being very supportive of unknowns like Camerin and Kirilenko as well as seeming to be very happy with Kim and Justine. They seem to like tennis with rallies in it whether they get it from Andre or Kim. It contrasts with the old stereotypical US crowd that wasn't interested if it didn't have a spangly banner stamped on it.

·
49,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fammmmedspin said:
They may have sited their Mikes differently this year but I am struck by the fact that the US crowds seem happy with what they are seeing and are being very supportive of unknowns like Camerin and Kirilenko as well as seeming to be very happy with Kim and Justine. They seem to like tennis with rallies in it whether they get it from Andre or Kim. It contrasts with the old stereotypical US crowd that wasn't interested if it didn't have a spangly banner stamped on it.
I've noticed exactly the same thing. It seems as though the fans there are genuinely happy and excited to be seeing some tennis.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts