Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last several years, I much prefered women's tour to men's. However, the end of the 2001 season is different. I find the race for the few final spots in the season-ending tournament in Sydney very exciting down to the wire.

What about WTA? I hate to admit it but the season's ending is downright boring with the field decimated by lame excuse-withdrawals of the main cast. The lucky substitutes lack the star power that could attract the average tennis fan. If the WTA does not implement some changes the next season, the popularity it has enjoyed the last few years may disappear rather quickly.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Eggy!

The race to Sydney has been covered more by the media because it simply is more exciting. Could it be that the ATP ranking system after all the criticism it received on our boards is better than that used by WTA? Could it be that the the ATP championship tournament is more appealing than the WTA one?

I, personally, find the format of the ATP tournament much more interesting with the top 8 players playing round robin matches in two groups - more like a soccer world cup format. It is refreshingly different from tournaments played all season long and has a much better chance of determining who the number 1 player in the world really is. Plus, you can be sure that the players who qualify for such a prestigious field will not look for excuses to withdraw from the tournament.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking at the number of spectators in Munich, it seems even the tennis fans in Germany share the sentiment that this is a snooze event. I am pretty sure the Masters in Sydney will be sold out.

Wake up, WTA!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.