Tennis Forum banner

3841 - 3860 of 3875 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,112 Posts
In the end Stockholm will be in the 2020 Diamond League after all and instead of cutting, second event in China (location TBD) will be added.

They are still insisting on 90 minutes format.

The IAAF will also launch a second international series of one-day meetings in 2020 (entitled the World Athletics Continental Tour)

·
Registered
40,140 Posts
This is getting a bit crazy now. They need to make a decision so athletes can get ready for conditions. 3am marathons would be weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Tokyo Government now proposes 3am start for marathon in bid to keep Olympic races in capital.
Even at 3am in the middle of the night it is uncomfortably hot and humid here in the summer! Not to mention there will be minimal atmosphere apart from all the drunk salarymen who missed their last trains as usual, LOL.

I already mentioned before about how moving to Hokkaido is a much better choice, there will be lots of support along the streets I'm sure - wish they would confirm this.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
In other news, Tero Pitkämäki has retired as a result of knee injury and lack of motivation. In a sport where many throwers have few huge throws in a season and then flop in major competitions, he had almost uncanny ability to reliably crank out 86-87 metres on big stages, bringing him total of 7 medals in major competitions.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
200 m, discus throw, triple jump and 3000 m steeple are out of the Diamond League programme for the next season :mad:

·
Registered
52,302 Posts
200 m, discus throw, triple jump and 3000 m steeple are out of the Diamond League programme for the next season :mad:
Craziness.

Carl Lewis called for athletes to follow Billy Jean King and create their own league.

Carl Lewis partage la même vision des choses, et encourage les athlètes à prendre leur destin en mains. « J'avais dit en 1997 que la Golden League/Ligue de diamant serait un désastre pour le sport. Avec la structure actuelle, il est impossible d'avoir le sport dont nous rêvons. Le seul espoir pour tous les athlètes est de quitter le système des fédérations et de négocier avec le CIO pour les Jeux Olympiques. Vous pourriez ensuite créer votre propre ligue mondiale en négociant avec les meetings du monde entier. Cela a été fait auparavant par Billie Jean King dans les années 70, avec le tennis féminin. Ce sera difficile, et cela prendra du temps. Mais comme vous le voyez, vous n'avez pas le choix. »
https://www.lequipe.fr/Athletisme/Actualites/Ligue-de-diamant-les-athletes-reagissent-a-la-disparition-de-trois-disciplines/1077881

·
Registered
34,127 Posts
Time for an uprising.

·
Registered
12,223 Posts
Why does the iaaf keep sabotaging itself. And who on earth considers high jump the most interesting event. Both, guys and girls are skinny and tall, no curves, most of them are dull and it's just a no.

They are effectively killing off the "recently introduced" events... triple jump and steeplechase. Just stupid on their part. Steeplechase is so much fun. 200meters I don't mind going away.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
The most bizarre thing about removing triple jump is that it's a rare event where both the men's and women's WRs (longstanding ones, at that) can realistically be broken in the near future. Do they really want to miss out on the opportunity of that happening at a DL meeting? :confused:

Discus has seen better days, but it's such a classic event (I mean, it literally goes back thousands of years!) that it's simply wrong to put it away. And yeah, 3000 m steeple is a lot of fun and the standard of competition is really high, so it really doesn't make much sense not to include it. Hell, it doesn't even take that long to finish, for those with short attention spans.
200 m can feel like a back-up event for 100 m at times, but I don't think that's the case at the moment and the event definitely does have its place.

·
Registered
40,140 Posts
Alex Bell will Sue UK athletics after being omitted for funding, she was told she isn’t going to make a global final so they won’t fund her...

·
Registered
40,140 Posts
Yes I was quite surprised that it was just cancelled straight out!

No big athletics event for a while then.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,112 Posts
Controversial "Trials and Finals" format was first time tested in men's long jump (at least on this level) in Karlsruhe.

All competitors got 5 attempts, then all scores were wiped out and top 3 had 1 jump each to decide results.

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
Controversial "Trials and Finals" format was first time tested in men's long jump (at least on this level) in Karlsruhe.

All competitors got 5 attempts, then all scores were wiped out and top 3 had 1 jump each to decide results.
Only a matter of time before we get no jump, no jump, absolute safety with a winning result of ca 7 meters flat in the Men's or 6 flat in the Women's.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Mondo Duplantis in Dusseldorf PV 5,70... 5,80... 5,90... 5,95... all so so easy, maybe 610 tonight? or even WR :oops:

3841 - 3860 of 3875 Posts