Tennis Forum banner

3821 - 3840 of 3875 Posts

·
Registered
40,140 Posts
Russian media reports that Shubenkov and Diamond League have reached a deal. Next year there will be always at least one line between him and McLeod.

Is it true the top athletes can actually pick their own lanes. Because that’s what BBC said about Warholm, that he always picks lane 7...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I wish the throwing events (other than that absolutely spectacular men's shot put :worship: )(
Level of men's shot put has really risen incredibly high in recent years. I'd suspect some new doping substance in the works, but other throwing events (except maybe mens javelin) have not seen similar increases. I recall how in the late '90s, John Godina's ~21.5 metre results were considered incredible. Nowadays he would struggle to make to late rounds of the final.

It is said that rotational technique is finally being mastered. Barnes' world record might be finally broken in near future. With so many people in near 23 metre club, sooner or later someone will get lucky.

Top Finnish shot putter of the '70s, Reijo Ståhlberg, told that he once witnessed Brian Oldfield - one of the first great masters of the spin style - throw about 24.30 in practice session.

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
Russian media reports that Shubenkov and Diamond League have reached a deal. Next year there will be always at least one line between him and McLeod.
Even that might not be enough if he starts a chain reaction....

Is it true the top athletes can actually pick their own lanes. Because that’s what BBC said about Warholm, that he always picks lane 7...

Top athletes can pick, yes. Since Warholm is ranked #1 he picks first. Ranked #2 will have free choice of whatever #1 didn't pick.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,112 Posts
Nike has decided to shut the Oregon Project down, stating that the situation has become an unfair burden and distraction for athletes.

Same time it was repeated that Salazar still has their full support.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's my understanding that when it comes to Lane allocation in the heats, the lane order is decided by the Technical Delegate at the event who uses criteria such as PB's, SB's, Championship medals etc, so Warholm can ask for a lane but that doesn't mean he'll be given it. The lane allocation in the Semi's and finals is completely decided by the Times they ran in the previous round, which is why Van Niekerk was in Lane 8 when he broke the 400m world record, he didn't choose it, he ended up there because he only had the fifth fastest qualifying time beforehand.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The lanes for the 400 on Sunday were drawn based on the semifinal results. Grenada's Kirani James and Team USA's LaShawn Merritt had the two fastest times from the semifinal, so were given lanes 6 and 5, respectively. Van Niekerk had only the fifth-fastest time, so ended up in the eighth lane.

The new world record holder wasn't thrilled about drawing lane 8, but he didn't dwell on it. "I don't think any athlete really wants to be in lane 8," van Niekerk told reporters after the race. "But the moment I had it, I knew it has its advantages and it has its disadvantages. You have the perfect opportunity to [go out there and run as hard as you can]."

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
It's my understanding that when it comes to Lane allocation in the heats, the lane order is decided by the Technical Delegate at the event who uses criteria such as PB's, SB's, Championship medals etc, so Warholm can ask for a lane but that doesn't mean he'll be given it. The lane allocation in the Semi's and finals is completely decided by the Times they ran in the previous round, which is why Van Niekerk was in Lane 8 when he broke the 400m world record, he didn't choose it, he ended up there because he only had the fifth fastest qualifying time beforehand.
In championships you cannot pick, and Warholm duly landed in lane 4.

In diamond league and lesser events you can pick and he's always in 7.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The marathon and race walking at next summer's Tokyo Olympics are set to be moved to Sapporo - 800km to the north - because of its cooler conditions.
Good decision for the athletes. The heat is brutal here in the summer, just walking around in the heat and humidity is unnbearable some days, cannot imagine what it is like, even for elite athletes.

This is good for the people of Hokkaido. Also, will Sapporo technically be the first host of both Winter and Summer Olympics before the Chinese do it? :SNE::eek:h::eek:h: Or does it not count due to just hosting an event rather than the whole Olympics? Lol. In February I visited the Sapporo Winter Olympics venue in the thick snow, they have a great museum there but apart from that it was desolate.

3821 - 3840 of 3875 Posts