Votes: 31 40.3%
  • No way

Votes: 46 59.7%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple statement. Do you think it's true or false?

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
False:sad:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
False.

Not Willies and Davenport at their best.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Pre 1992, maybe.
Today, false.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think if Monica is at her real real best she can beat anybody on any surface because that also means she is mentally as though as she was once so she will not make many mistakes and give free points away especially not on big points where she will raise her level for sure.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
nope - most players, yeah I'd agree, but the few at the top. no way. unpossible.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
false:) I love Monica but I know that If Venus or Serena was 100% at their best that Monica would have no chance. Especially on grass and hard.

Clay maybe, but not so sure about rubber becasue Venus was hurt and still got a set off.

Maybe back in the day though.:)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
At her best in the early 90's, I imagine she culd beat anyone at their best now.

Even 10 years later, she can still beat almost anyone at their best.

I still think that if her and Jenn played again right now, that Seles would win, if they both played very well.

Seles seems to have problems with Hingis for some reason though - the matches I've seen of theirs Seles is often playing very well. So I'm not sure about that.

I don't think anyone on tour can beat Venus at her best - including Monica. Serena too for that matter.

I don't know the past history of Seles and Davenport, but I imagine that would be tough to.

·
Registered
802 Posts
To me, it's not true.
Neither in the past, nor today.

Even in her prime (91-93) Monica was tied to Graf on clay.
It was Steffi who was not at her peak, in those two years.
And they were both a step below Chris Evert, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Way - SO now Chris Evert is a step above Steffi Graf??

Make up your mind!! Your 105 year old brain must be going senile!!

(isnt that how old you must be if you 'saw' Lenglen play????:rolleyes: )

Its funny, Graf just 'magically' is not at her peak duriung 91 and 92, and SUDDENLY is back at her peak in 93!! The year Monica was stabbed!!!

You really are transparent.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Way - SO now Chris Evert is a step above Steffi Graf??

On Clay she is.
Always thought so.
Graf and Seles right behind them.
Graf is superior to her allaround (and to anyone else) because she was much better than her both on hard and indoor.
Also on grass, even though i think Evert on grass is underrated.

Phibo:Make up your mind!! Your 105 year old brain must be going senile!!
(isnt that how old you must be if you 'saw' Lenglen play???? )

Way:
:)
Mmmm...more or less.
Point is i didn't see Lenglen play "live", as you know.
As for my age, it's all in my profile.
I updated it, there's also my ICQ and my birthdate.
And i also added you in my buddylist.
:bounce:

And, by the way, aren't you the one who describes the emotions he had "during" Navra matches of 83, 84, 85 when you were 5 or 6?
:wavey:
No, just kidding, i know you put your birthday as me, so you're not cheating anymore!

Phibo:Its funny, Graf just 'magically' is not at her peak duriung 91 and 92, and SUDDENLY is back at her peak in 93!! The year Monica was stabbed!!!

Way: NOOOOOOOOO!!!
Graf was far away from her peak in 93.
Who sais she was?

Phibo:You really are transparent.

Way: I know i am.
Maybe too much.
All my friends say so.
It's clear you're one of them.
:drool:

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
There are a lot of Monica threads around today.

IMHO, Seles at her best was pre-stabbing when she was mentally tougher than even Venus today who still shows fragility on occasion.

I think that Monica could beat anyone on any surface except grass, but to be fair we have only ever seen her play Wimbledon once (1992) at her very best.

So basically I agree with Rollo :) and DH :).

This is all a bit academic now though don't you think ?

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Way - Oops, of course Graf wasnt at her peak in 93, she lost the Aus Open final to Seles that year..Silly me.

So she jsut magically bounces back to her 'peak' the first full year Monica is off tour...

Any connection at all way??

Talk about a FANatic.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I think that Monica at her best would struggle against the following players at their best:

Venus
Serena
Lindsay
Martina H

I think she has Jen Cap's number, and has always had it except on the rare occassions.

Way, we are still waiting for your top 20 Claycourt players of all time, which does not include Martina N........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Definitely YES!!!!
She just beaten Venus last AO!!!!!!!

Except the QUEEN LINDSAY DAVENPORT!!!!! oopsss she also beaten her in exhibition match, I duno if it counts!!!!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Actually, Czechfan, it wasn't the first full year that Monica was gone where Steffi found her game. That would be 94, an on and off year for her. No, Steffi lost the Hamburg Final and found her game the first full WEEK that Monica was gone, starting a 44 match tournament win streak, marred only by a Fed Cup loss to Nicole Bradtke. Amazing coincidental timing.

·
Registered
25,258 Posts
well I think yes except the Williams Sister and Davenport.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts