Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the fuck are they doing buring down the place where they're kept. By forcing the tax payer into paying repairs costing £38 million they're not going to gain any sympathisers.

FUCK OFF! Or stop complainging you chose to come here, we pay enough for you already.

Our country is rapidly crumbling without extra people...

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

·
Banned
692 Posts
VBN U ARE SO RIGHT.

Im from Newzealand and we have just about 200 Asylum seekers from that Tampa boat. We put them in a detention centre, with modest stuff. BED, Kitchen, Basin. They even have their own hulla cooks. What do they do. They sow there lips up and protest there not getting freedom. well let me tell u there damm bloody getting a better life then what they were getting in Afghanistan they should just live with it. there getting everything. So what happens one escapes and murders someone. Christ next think u know thell be taking over Newzealaknd. I got a good idea. SEND THEM BACK WITHT HERE BAGS PACKING AFGHANISTAN IS OK NOW SO GO HOME.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Nations are under international OBLIGATION to take asylum-seekers. What they're not under obligation to do is lock them up without trial in virtual prison camps.

These people are seeking relief from persecution - not to be put in jail camps. This sort of thing was inevitable from the cruel treatment they were getting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What rubbish!

Do you even understand what you're saying or is the jingoistic, bombastic, fascistic reflex so strong in you that this thread is just a knee-jerk-off forum?

It's a detention centre for those who are being deported back to countries they are desperate to leave so they burned it down. As the Daily Mirror put it

"Why NO sprinlklers?"
So some of them are economic migrants, big deal, a lot of people (including Kiwis and Ozzies) leave home to benefit from working or studying in a foreign country but they are welcomed only if they have money or come from an acceptable region.

Its OK for you to bitch like this but if, in twenty years time the tables are turned and YOU are knocking on somebody's door asking for help you'd better pray that they are more welcoming than yourself.

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I am saying is that they're costing us money for being here. OK, not too much of a problem, I wouldn't mind my taxes being paid towards creating that detention centre. BUT - to burn it down?! You have gotta be kidding me cos now we have to pay for it all again. People are trying to earn a living and having their money taken away from them by people who aren't even going to be here any longer. Whatever sympathy they had before they are DESTROYING by doing actions like this.

By cutting the BREAKS off of trains to get them through to the UK!! What the hell? Yeah, why don't you kill a lot of people, thats going to get you sympathy. They need the publics support and they're doing completely the opposite of trying to achieve it, it's as if they want us to hate them.

Why no sprinklers? Yeah I agree, odd that.

there are better ways than going about it

I don't care that they're taking jobs, I think that their skills are very useful to our country, just don't live off our earned money.

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Linton said:
AFGHANISTAN IS OK NOW SO GO HOME.
Afghanistan is NOT safe at all.

I'd better not comment on this thread, but have you ever thought about what it is like to leave your country, without being able to take anything with you? Have you ever thought about what it is like to live in fear that you have to go back to a country where people will kill you just because you think different? And have you ever thought about when a country is safe?

Apperently you haven't. Maybe you should, just for a while.

As some of you might know, my best friend is from Afghanistan. She fled her country in the middle of the night, because her father would get killed if they would stay. Maybe you understand why you shouldn't talk to me about asylum seekers who are just benefitting?!

btw, most asylum seekers would love to work here, but they can't, because they aren't allowed to. Yeah, how to get someone frustrated :rolleyes:

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
It scares me that we are talking about 'detention centres' for people who just left their country in search for a better life. Yet we threat them like criminals.
I agree that migration is a serious issue and that it has to be controlled. But instead of complaining about (the far from humane I might add) welcome those people get, we could put our energy in expression our opposition to the reasons why they are forced to leave their countries in the first place.

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok - I apologise.

Britain has no asylum policy that works, with no tough rules and regulations so that asylum seekers are crossing many many countries to get into the UK cos we're a soft touch compared to most. There'sa huge camp full of them in France waiting to get into the UK, and every night they try to get on trains to come here illegally.

Therefore, it costs us a lot of money cos our governemnt is more interested in being American's patsy than sort out anything here. It was £38 million, not fair, but I'll shh now.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I am not getting into all of this now, but the UK is just a joke in this issue, everyone knows that this is the country to come to and many are coming not to escape persecution but to get all the benefits the country offers, some of them live even better than UK citizens who actually work and there are some who refuse to do that.

It really needs to be tightened up a lot to only let the people in who are actually in danger and not to let freeloaders in who just are out for all they can get.

IMO the goverment seems to care more about asylum seekers than people who are actually British citizens who are having immigration problems for whatever reason.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
vbn is right in so much as I'm sorry but, torching an establishment that cost British tax payers the best part of £70 mil. is not the right way to go about gaining public sympathy. Perhaps public sympathy is not what they're after, but I think it's an atrocious deliberately cynical and criminal act.

·
5,919 Posts
It's also an 'atrocious deliberately cynical and criminal act' to put people who have done nothing wrong in detention camps. They fled their country in search for a better life. Can you blame them for that, is that a crime? I'm not saying that burning the building down was right but somehow I can understand their anger and frustration.

It's the same as with the death penalty, the most heard complaint is that it costs a lot of tax payers's money to feed criminals so it's better to just get rid of them. There's this tendancy in today's society that we value money more than a human live.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Josh, josh josh!

Whoever said 'two wrongs make a right' is wrong.

I have cast no aspersions on the conditions they were living in because I don't know. What I do know is that people could have been killed. And I stand by my initial statement (which mentioned nothing of the plight of asylum seekers) that such an act is no way to endear yourself to an already sceptical nation. And that's all I said.

A more facetious person than I might have said that 'I wouldn't mind living in an establishment that cost £70mil.' But I wouldn't do that.

·
5,919 Posts
I said that burning down the building wasn't right. But I can understand that those people out of desperation do stupid things. I'm sure there was a better way to show their anger but somehow I believe that if their action wouldn't have been spectacular, noone would have spoken about it.

You're right in saying that people might have been killed (in fact I think their are deaths) but I couldn't help noticing that the first concern of some was the money and not the lifes of those asylum seekers.

I have cast no aspersions on the conditions they were living in because I don't know.
Doesn't the term 'detention centre' tell you enough about their living conditions? Locking up people whe have done nothing wrong seems to be a violation of human rights...But that's just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Look, my sister is a barrister and has to get bail for a lot of asylum seekers and illegal immigrants etc. Generally for minor things like missing their court dates.

I wouldn't pretend that their conditions are ideal (I know from my sister that they are not, it was just a discussion I didn't and don't particularly want to get in to.

What I do think is that the whole of Europe for one thing needs more uniformity on where it stands with asylum seekers. So to all intents and purposes if you are an asylum seeker in UK, Germany, Belguim or Spain, you are essentially entitled to the same benefits and the same quality of life.

To get into all the emotive issues surrounding asylum seekers is too much for my poor head at the moment.

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got a picture of the place now.

FROM THE OUTSIDE (and I know the improtant stuff is on the inside) but it looks better than the living conditions of the citizens of this country. There are gardens. Most people in cites don't even have a garden.

·
5,919 Posts
TFD, I agree that there should be a debate on European level about asylum seekers. All countries have to work together on this particularly difficult and emotive issue.

VBN, fact remains that they are locked up, there are guards to watch them and they can't leave the premises. Now what's the difference with an inmate in jail?
People in the city might not have a garden but at least they have the freedom to move around and go to a park or a public garden if they want to.

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Josh, they have to do that because Britains asylum policy is so crap. It's too easy for them to enter the country and dissapear. You're going to have to encase those that have FAILED to gain entry into the country - they shouldn't even be there any more because the government does not think they're claim for political asykum is legitimate. AND THEN causing citizens of the UK to pay for those who do not legitimately belong in this country.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
The fact that britain's assylum policy is crap, is NO EXCUSE for locking innocent people up behind 15 foot walls topped with razor-wire. Prison is prison, and the place is a prison. I see nothing wrong with building camps, if people are free to walk out the door and interact with the rest of society. But locking innocent people up is wrong, and this riot was inevitable.

From the news it seems that the cause was when the "guards wanted to put handcuffs on a sick woman, before they would let her be taken to hospital. This is appalling - and a disgrace to our country. if this is what happens with "public sympathy" its loss will not be missed much. Once again, Britain has a LEGAL OBLIGATION to take in refugees. The money wasted on this dreadful camp could have been spent far better.

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, how would you retain people who were LEGALLY not allowed to enter this country because they FAILED the entrace requirements?

Any other way and there is NO guarentee of ever seeing them again once they'd DISSAPEARED into the country.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Its a mess really...Britian needs a large influx of immigrants in order to work legitmately to pay the taxes to keep the pensions system running...and its hard to feel comfortable with such detention centres...but I don't know what the solution is. Like others have said, a real solution can only be found on a Europe wide level.

I am very much English, but my Great-Grandma was a French immigrant into this country, and my Grandad Polish, so maybe I come at things from a different angle.

I think it would be right for immigrants to learn basic English, for their own benefit...but I think any 'pledge of alliegence' to this country is silly and pointless.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts