Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
FYI, she is quite good, and has been dubbed as American's next Hope to the American Anna Kournikova. She is quite good, reaching the SF of Charleston, cutting her ranking in half. She seems to have beefed up a bit; with her consistancy and above average fitness she sits at 43. All things concidered she has done very well this year. (Going from losing to Sunitha Rao at the AO Qualies, to beating Hantuchova at the FO.) She could make a dent on the clay I believe.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
No offense. I just thought with 7,600 ( :eek: Well done ;)) posts you would have heard of Ash. Best of luck to her, and Sunitha for that matter.

·
Banned
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
brunof said:
No offense. I just thought with 7,600 ( :eek: Well done ;)) posts you would have heard of Ash. Best of luck to her, and Sunitha for that matter.
it's just that i never post in here. i always post in NT. :)

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Glad to help King Satan. NT is a pretty hot place to be, I must say. Speaking of hot, I hope Ash catches fire, because she is riding on a four match losing streak, including a Double Bagel from Fernandez.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No, she's not very good. She is incredibly over-exposed (in many senses of the word). As for comparisons to Kournikova, the media paints her as the American version... the chubby, less attractive version :rolleyes:

·
Mean Admin Machine, Admeanistrator
36,597 Posts
Wow, finally you're developping a sense of good taste Joe :D

Ashley :worship:

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
She plays with a limited amount of Errors and consistently mind you.
Shes like a version of a stronger more capable Anna Pistolesi In my opinion, and in time to come, will be alot better then Anna.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Ashley/Vera might be a permanent team for the rest of this year. :) VAMOS ASHLEY HARKLEWOOD.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
King Satan said:
it's just that i never post in here. i always post in NT. :)
That's sad.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Ashley is cool, I really hope she can put some results together this summer.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I wouldn't describe Ashley HARKLEROAD as a "bad" player because I don't think many of those reach the Top 50 and beat Top 10 players. The comparisons with Anna Kournikova are due to the blonde hair, her age and possibly the grunt. Nothing more. If it was up to me, I would compare Ashley Harkleroad to Amy Frazier. They are more or less the same in terms of looks and in talent. Amy was a Top 15 player in her prime. I think Ashley Harkleroad is more likely to be Top 15 calibre. With her counter-punching style, I don't think a consistent stay in the Top 10 is the most viable option for her if she's up against the likes of Maria Sharapova, who have weapons to back up their aggressive play and footspeed. Still, Top 15 is better than most players who are "above average." It's a tremendous feat.

Or will be, when Ashley gets there. ;)

Reactions: brunof

·
Registered
475 Posts
Rothes said:
She plays with a limited amount of Errors and consistently mind you.
Shes like a version of a stronger more capable Anna Pistolesi In my opinion, and in time to come, will be alot better then Anna.
:rolleyes: Anna was top ten in the world. Ashley will never be top 10.

Also, Anna spent over two years where she never lost to anyone ranked below 15, made U.S. Open 4th round on her first try at 15, made Wimbledon Semi on her first try at 16, had many top 10 wins (and not just players who were slumping badly and were beginning their cliff dives i.e. Hantuchova) and was a legitimate grand slam prospect for a while. The only thing that held her back from being top 10 at 16 were the AER (she beat Sabine Applemans who was ranked in the teens like 6/1, 6/4). It wasn't until her hand injury that her game and tennis career really started falling apart. When she got her thumb injury, she was number 8, moving up, and many thought she was on her way to top 5.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts