Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
This is surprising. I thought Raducanu is already in the Top 5, given her many endorsements. Also, Garbine earned twice the amount of Barty, off court. Interesting.
Endorsement deals are structured over several years, and the amounts reported are the top level, the amount a player earnes if she hits certain achievement thresholds (winning a major, ranking top 10 or #1, etc.).

Raducanu's likely earned a fraction of the reported amounts thus far.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
It's because of her Japanese sponsors. Smart move by her parents to have her play for Japan rather than the US. Nishikori has been one of the highest paid athletes in the world for the past ten years, in certain years he would make more money than Djokovic or Murray.
Partly true for me. That may account for like half her sponsors, but her appeal to the American market also counts for a lot. There was a period her over the last year when she was announcing new endorsements and partnerships seemingly every week and most of these were American companies clearly targeting the local market.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Osaka transcends the sport. Barty doesn't do that.
Sure, but why? In some ways, it was just a dig at the days Serena fans said Sharapova earning more was due to racism. The commercial appeal of a certain image is a tad too complicated to explain in those simplistic rationalizations. Serena being a better athlete than Sharapova shouldn't automatically translate to earning more endorsements. I'm hoping to point out that Osaka earning 20 times more than Barty off the field should be evidence enough of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Partly true for me. That may account for like half her sponsors, but her appeal to the American market also counts for a lot. There was a period her over the last year when she was announcing new endorsements and partnerships seemingly every week and most of these were American companies clearly targeting the local market.
Sponsorships from japanese companies I can understand, actually it's normal, rich country, needs a star in a global sport. US companies just adjusting to what they think is now in demand. In other parts of the world her appeal is close to zero. But those 2 countries are enough to earn so much.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I wonder how much money/contract some players refuse in term of endorsements or sponsors. Players like the sisters or Naomi must refuse some companies because they lack standing or doesn't propose enough money to them.
I also really picture someone like Barty refusing a company's money because it's not products or idea she wants to promote, because of moral reasons.

·
Registered
18,197 Posts
Endorsement deals are structured over several years, and the amounts reported are the top level, the amount a player earnes if she hits certain achievement thresholds (winning a major, ranking top 10 or #1, etc.).

Raducanu's likely earned a fraction of the reported amounts thus far.
Her reported amount is one billion.

Even Rogie Fed will be trounced by the time she's done.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Is there a list of Raducanu's endorsement deals somewhere?
Wikipedia (not sure whether this is complete or not)
Endorsements[edit]
Raducanu is sponsored by Nike for clothing and shoes, and by Wilson for racquets, currently endorsing the Wilson Blade range of racquets; despite this, she uses the Wilson Steam 100 on court, painted as a Wilson Blade.[105][106] Shortly after her US Open victory, Raducanu became a brand ambassador for LVMH brands Tiffany & Co. and Dior.[107][108] She is also a brand ambassador for Evian and British Airways.[109][110]

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Leylah got quite a number of endorsements too since US Open 2021

Endorsements[edit]
Fernandez is sponsored by Lululemon for apparel and by Babolat for racquets, currently using the Babolat Pure Aero racquet. In January 2022, she became the first global brand ambassador in tennis for Lululemon. Lululemon replaces her prior apparel sponsor Asics, which she will continue to use for footwear until Lululemon launches their tennis footwear line by the end of 2022.[19] She is also sponsored by wireless telecommunications company Telcel/Claro and cosmetics company Birchbox.[20] She also is a brand ambassador for Flair Airlines along with fellow Canadians Eugenie Bouchard and Felix Auger Aliassime.[21] Additional sponsors include USANA, Microsure, and Cambridge Global Payments.[22][23] In January 2022, she became a Google ambassador in Canada for the Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro.[24]

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Wikipedia (not sure whether this is complete or not)
Endorsements[edit]
Raducanu is sponsored by Nike for clothing and shoes, and by Wilson for racquets, currently endorsing the Wilson Blade range of racquets; despite this, she uses the Wilson Steam 100 on court, painted as a Wilson Blade.[105][106] Shortly after her US Open victory, Raducanu became a brand ambassador for LVMH brands Tiffany & Co. and Dior.[107][108] She is also a brand ambassador for Evian and British Airways.[109][110]
Thanks. I was just wondering where that billion dollar estimate came from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unsure about a generalization that she has close to zero appeal in other parts of the world. Here in Germany she also has a fair share of news articles written about her and her Nike items are also on sale here. If you look at her Twitter and IG, she also also receive comments by people from different African countries, which we should not forget because she's not just Japanese but also Haitian.

Sponsorships from japanese companies I can understand, actually it's normal, rich country, needs a star in a global sport. US companies just adjusting to what they think is now in demand. In other parts of the world her appeal is close to zero. But those 2 countries are enough to earn so much.

·
34,016 Posts
When i showed my sister (non tennis fan) a picture of Osaka her reaction was "Interesting, she's black but Japanese, very cool". She was almost schocked that such mix could exist. I think that also explains the reason why she gets so many endorsements, she's mixed, somewhat of a nobelty for the general crowd. I also showed a picture of Barty to my sister and she just said she looks like an athlete and didn't show any more interest.

I think that helps to explain the endorsement differences, besides the already mentioned Japanese/Us double markets

·
Registered
4 Posts
British newspapers also reported she has a deal with Vodafone.
Yes, but it hasn't been confirmed by Raducanu or Vodafone yet. It was temporarily listed in the wiki section, but removed not long ago since it wasn't confirmed by either party shortly after reports (maybe next month it will be formally announced). I actually created the endorsement sections for Raducanu, Fernandez, and Anisimova and as far as I know are up to date (Amanda's is hard to find and hope she gets more). I make sure to put a reliable reference for each one as well. Emma did promotional work for Sports Direct in the UK, but since that so far has seemed as a one-time holiday deal and not recurring endorsement it's not listed there. I'm glad there are some people actually looking at those pages given the pain in the butt it is to track down sources and cite them appropriately. ;) I've lurked on the forums and if I see stuff posted here first I update the pages so thanks to those here that post new stuff. :)

41 - 60 of 63 Posts