Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Emma made more than her, but it's not reflected in the rankings. These guys do NOT know about the number and size of all the endorsement deals and public TV showings etc. of these athletes. They do know how much prize money they earned from tennis down to the exact $, that's why someone like Barty is ranked very high.

If they did that for men's tennis, Federer should be in the top 3, even with almost no prize money earned from last year.
Federer was at number 7 in the Forbes list right before this one. He earned 90 million that year. These guys know what they are doing

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Reactions: Katerina

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Emma made more than her, but it's not reflected in the rankings. These guys do NOT know about the number and size of all the endorsement deals and public TV showings etc. of these athletes. They do know how much prize money they earned from tennis down to the exact $, that's why someone like Barty is ranked very high.

If they did that for men's tennis, Federer should be in the top 3, even with almost no prize money earned from last year.
Federer was number 1 on the entire list of ALL athletes in 2020 and still number 1 in tennis last year duh. These guys know what they are doing.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
What has Emma to do with this all ?

You use her as a clickbait :rolleyes:

Mods do something about that please !

Whole Emma has nothing to do with this whole article !

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
WTF kind of thread title is this?! A clickbait to piss off the Raducanu fans? It should be about Osaka and the Williams sisters, not Barty and Raducanu LOL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Osaka is a money printing machine. And the longevity of Serena/Venus's earning power impressive. Serena especially is graded on the legends curve, results don't matter for her anymore.

Not commenting on Ash or Emma because the story is about neither of them.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Dead at the Raducanu mention, so cheap

Then, we look at the sports and non-sports related earnings of the first couple of ladies and we can only go

Welcome to 2022! In a "fair" world :D

·
Registered
18,261 Posts
Yes, but it feels like it gets released more often than that.
There are actually 2 Forbes lists. One involving women only top 10 list (this one) and a larger "top 50 highest paid athletes" list, with men and women combined. That is also annual, but released 6 month apart from the women's list. They need this women only thing because the top 50 always has almost no woman in it (only 2 or 3 max out of the entire 50). The last one only had Naomi and Serena if I remember. So to make up the top 10 females, they add 8 or so other women who normally wouldn't make the cut into the overall top 50.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I will never quite get the Osaka appeal. A real mystery. For years, many people claimed Sharapova was earning more endorsement money than Serena because of racism. Can those same people clue me in on why Osaka is earning like 20 times more than Barty off Court? What's the appeal? Her beauty? Her sexiness? Her consistency and dominance of the game? Her wit and charisma? Her exciting, all-court style of tennis?

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I will never quite get the Osaka appeal. A real mystery. For years, many people claimed Sharapova was earning more endorsement money than Serena because of racism. Can those same people clue me in on why Osaka is earning like 20 times more than Barty off Court? What's the appeal? Her beauty? Her sexiness? Her consistency and dominance of the game? Her wit and charisma? Her exciting, all-court style of tennis?
Her WOKEness.

I’m wondering the same thing actually.

Reactions: EMILIO GZZ

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
It's because of her Japanese sponsors. Smart move by her parents to have her play for Japan rather than the US. Nishikori has been one of the highest paid athletes in the world for the past ten years, in certain years he would make more money than Djokovic or Murray.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Her milking both Japanese and American sponsors is ONE of the reasons, yes.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Osaka transcends the sport. Barty doesn't do that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree with @Pawcio765. Naomi's biracial and appealing to a broad base. Add to that, she seems smart with her money and has made investments early on and even launched her own company (Kinlo) even before she turned 24 years old.

It's because of her Japanese sponsors. Smart move by her parents to have her play for Japan rather than the US. Nishikori has been one of the highest paid athletes in the world for the past ten years, in certain years he would make more money than Djokovic or Murray.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts