Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
No. There is no parallel between swimming between continents and traveling to play a tennis tournament without your coach to hold your hand.
Lol if you think tennis players (or any athletes) can go without coaches then I really have nothing to talk about with you at all. My bad for assuming people have ever picked up a racquet and played competitively or even know anything about professional sports at all.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Lol if you think tennis players (or any athletes) can go without coaches then I really have nothing to talk about with you at all. My bad for assuming people have ever picked up a racquet and played competitively or even know anything about professional sports at all.
Nobody said tennis players or athletes can go without coaches. That's quite the impressive strawman. Tennis players can certainly play a tournament or a few tournaments without a coach. Plenty of tour pros, from journeymen who can't afford to travel around with coaches, right up to Federer, do it all the time. Please tone down the melodrama and obnoxiousness.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Nobody said tennis players or athletes can go without coaches. That's quite the impressive strawman. Tennis players can certainly play a tournament or a few tournaments without a coach. Plenty of tour pros, from journeymen who can't afford to travel around with coaches, right up to Federer, do it all the time. Please tone down the melodrama and obnoxiousness.
You know what's quite impressive? You saying that a professional - nay, world-leading - athlete not wanting to leave her covid-safe place to travel to coronavirus hotspots after not seeing her coach for 6 months is the same as wanting someone to "hold her hand".

Please tone down the melodramatic criticism of a tennis player making the best decisions for her own life and get on with your own life. How deliciously hypocritical for you to call someone else obnoxious while making ridiculously obnoxious comments in the process.

Please stop replying to my comments - they aren't even addressed to you.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
What really amazes me about so many of these comments regarding Barty's "awful" behaviour during a pandemic is that, no matter how many times it has been written by Australian posters who know better than anyone else, TFers still won't accept that there is simply NO COVID-19 IN QUEENSLAND!!!!! Barty cannot catch it if she stays in her home state.

Their borders are closed, so there is no chance of anyone else getting the disease either. It's the same as here. RIGHT NOW, just six kilometres from my home, 47,000 people are packing Eden Park for the second rugby test between New Zealand and Australia. Read it and weep.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
What really amazes me about so many of these comments regarding Barty's "awful" behaviour during a pandemic is that, no matter how many times it has been written by Australian posters who know better than anyone else, TFers still won't accept that there is simply NO COVID-19 IN QUEENSLAND!!!!! Barty cannot catch it if she stays in her home state.

Their borders are closed, so there is no chance of anyone else getting the disease either. It's the same as here. RIGHT NOW, just six kilometres from my home, 47,000 people are packing Eden Park for the second rugby test between New Zealand and Australia. Read it and weep.
Their desperation has reached peak levels. They're super salty that their faves are STILL flopping and STILL can't overtake someone who has been legally prohibited from seeing her coach for 6 months and spends her time playing golf and drinking beer. Bla bla bla she's irrelevant, nobody cares about her, the tour doesn't need her / I'm gonna post about her 250000 times, she's ruining the tour etc. Cognitive dissonance is strong.

Then there's the complaining about letting down the tour - while they spend hours trying to tear down an INDEPENDENT INDIGENOUS FEMALE athlete making smart decisions for her health. Great way to uplift the tour!

Their faves fake injuries, pull lame stunts and partake in gamesmanship and generally put in zero effort half the time and yet Barty is letting down the tour. And the funniest thing about all of this? Ash literally wouldn't care if her ranking dropped! All these haters are trying to hit her where it doesn't even hurt her.

It's a fine time to be Ash Barty and a terrible struggle to be a hater. My deepest condolences to the salt mines in this thread. Maybe your faves will do better in 2021?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You know what's quite impressive? You saying that a professional - nay, world-leading - athlete not wanting to leave her covid-safe place to travel to coronavirus hotspots after not seeing her coach for 6 months is the same as wanting someone to "hold her hand".

Please tone down the melodramatic criticism of a tennis player making the best decisions for her own life and get on with your own life. How deliciously hypocritical for you to call someone else obnoxious while making ridiculously obnoxious comments in the process.

Please stop replying to my comments - they aren't even addressed to you.
I'm not even criticizing Barty's decision as it's none of my business or anyone elses. Your initial comment I responded to was drawing some outlandish parallel (outlandish even for an intended hyperbole) between playing a tournament without a coach and intercontinental swimming. I'm pointing out that it is extremely doable and pretty common for players to play tournaments without a coach. Only the most privileged players can afford to skip a tournament they're eligible to play because they don't have a coach.

Again, tone down the melodrama. I also didn't know I could only speak when spoken to on a forum. More melodrama.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
I'm not even criticizing Barty's decision as it's none of my business or anyone elses. Your initial comment I responded to was drawing some outlandish parallel (outlandish even for an intended hyperbole) between playing a tournament without a coach and intercontinental swimming. I'm pointing out that it is extremely doable and pretty common for players to play tournaments without a coach. Only the most privileged players can afford to skip a tournament they're eligible to play because they don't have a coach.

Again, tone down the melodrama. I also didn't know I could only speak when spoken to on a forum. More melodrama.
Not you trying to talk down to me and blabber on about melodrama while exaggerating everything and taking things out of context. Are you making yourself laugh or is it just other people?

Travelling without a coach is one thing; being legally prohibited from seeing a coach for 6 months is another.

We know the TF haters want her to go go to a tournament completely unprepared and lose to Cepede-Royg in R1 so they can spend even more hours of their lives complaining about how she's letting down the tour with performances like that. But Ash is a rational, independent, indigenous woman who puts her health first.

Using logic (I know this is unfair to ask for TFers, but anyway), a reasonable human being would think "hmmm, I haven't been able to train for 6 months and I live in a covid-free environment. Travelling to multiple covid hotspots completely unprepared probably isn't the best idea for me or my tennis career. I subsequently forfeit any money I could have earned in this time, and I'm happy with that decision."

·
Registered
225 Posts
I actually feel bad for Barty (and somewhat Andreescu as well) in a way. Had WTA (and ATP who they based their model off) not effed up the revised ranking system and let the points for tournaments that occurred come off, I think there would've been much less hatred Ash gets. The fact that the Finals points which was a bonus only for top players to begin with also likely to stay on until end of 2021 just adds to the joke. Just taking off FO and Finals at the end of the year will make her something like 4 or 5, which will attract much less hate.

I mean, while I expect Ash to compete in the Australian swing, for example purposes she could skip everything until FO next year and still possibly keep No. 1.

·
Registered
323 Posts
an INDEPENDENT INDIGENOUS FEMALE athlete making smart decisions for her health.
I agree with most things you say, but what does the "indigenous" have to do with anything ? You bring this up a couple of times.......I don't see the relation with her staying home. Or is she fighting the urge to go walkabout ? :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
What bothers people is her silly excuse about her coach. She could easily say she fears corona and doesnt feel safe traveling to places with high risk of infection, and everyone would be fine with it. But she's using this coach excuse which is totally ridiculous.

There is hundreds of tennis academies around the globe where she and her coach could stay for a few weeks and get ready for the season if she wanted to play.
Or she could just stay at home and practice without her coach, using just a hitting partner and maybe another coach from a local club.

Look at Simona, she last saw Darren in february and spent the entire corona break without him. He only joined her in Rome and guess what? She still won the tournament. And before that, she also won Prague... without Darren's presence.

There is just two options with Ash. Either, option A, she fears corona so much that she will only play tournaments in Australia until there is a vaccine, or, option B, she just doesnt care enough about tennis.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree with most things you say, but what does the "indigenous" have to do with anything ? You bring this up a couple of times.......I don't see the relation with her staying home. Or is she fighting the urge to go walkabout ? :)
Barty isn't indigenous anyway, yeah maybe her 200 year old ancestors where but not her parents or grandparents.
So that doesn't count.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Barty should think about it if its better to leave Australie next year, with all the close borders and long quaraintaine , its impossible to stay at home and play competition.
Maybe she can settle down for a year in Florida , then she can train and play all the tournaments.
Its time to make descisions about her future and what she really wants.

·
King
28,707 Posts
Barty should think about it if its better to leave Australie next year, with all the close borders and long quaraintaine , its impossible to stay at home and play competition.
Maybe she can settle down for a year in Florida , then she can train and play all the tournaments.
Its time to make descisions about her future and what she really wants.
Barry is a proud indigenous woman who is laughing at us with a beer in her hand. Why would she think of doing anything that which requires even a modicum of commitment to the tour?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Barry is a proud indigenous woman who is laughing at us with a beer in her hand. Why would she think of doing anything that which requires even a modicum of commitment to the tour?
Of course its her own choise , she most do what she wants but when she will win more GS next year and stay nr 1 then she most make a choice
Will she have a carrier , win Slams and stay nr 1 or will she stay save in Australia and life her best live.

Its her choice , but a high level topsport carrier means making sacrifices.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Richmond tragic Ash Barty will present the premiership Cup to Richmond WHEN WE WIN the Grand Final on Saturday at the Gabba.
This is why she's not playing tennis, she knew there was another premiership in the offing.

Just an update for those non-australian's who may be interested in her activities.

·
Registered
8,813 Posts
🏉🎽🏆

Australian tennis champion Ash Barty selected for sold-out AFL grand final honour

"I was surprised and very honoured when Peggy asked me to present the Cup. I know there are many other Richmond people who would normally do this but given the circumstances I am very grateful for the opportunity," Barty said in a statement released by the Tigers.

"I wish the boys all the best for Saturday and very much hope I have the chance to be out there when the siren goes celebrating another Richmond Premiership.

"I am a long-time fan of the Tigers and so proud to be associated with the club. I trained at the club for several years with a lot of the boys and have loved watching the Tigers on my travels, supporting them has been a constant source of enjoyment for me on the road. I have a huge admiration and respect for the club on and off the field, what they have achieved over the last decade is incredible."

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
We've had Ash 1.0 (WCAsh), We've had Ash 2.0 (who became SlamAsh), what are your hopes/expectations/predictions for Ash 3.0 (post lockdown Ash)?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
We've had Ash 1.0 (WCAsh), We've had Ash 2.0 (who became SlamAsh), what are your hopes/expectations/predictions for Ash 3.0 (post lockdown Ash)?
Unless Barty improves her backhand, I think that she'll be out of the top ten by the end of 2021.

I also think that Andreescu will leave the top ten in the Spring of 2021.

This "sabbatical" 2020 year will be extremely costy for both of them.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Barty isn't indigenous anyway, yeah maybe her 200 year old ancestors where but not her parents or grandparents.
So that doesn't count.
True, I would not have thought she has indigenous ancestry by looking at her.

Barty with her parents, they don't look indigenous at all.

Maybe it's like America where everyone is convinced they have some Native American ancestry.

Reactions: ChrisR80

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Richmond tragic Ash Barty will present the premiership Cup to Richmond WHEN WE WIN the Grand Final on Saturday at the Gabba.
This is why she's not playing tennis, she knew there was another premiership in the offing.

Just an update for those non-australian's who may be interested in her activities.
To make sure I get this, Barty will present the trophy only if that team (her alleged fave) win, but if it loses someone else presents? Interesting.

Maybe WTA should import this protocol into some events — spice them up a little. Then the winning playuer gets a lucky charm — and the loser gets someone to pass the bad-luck blame to.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts