Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
As Richmond won last night in Brisbane, and Ash was there, the commentators kept pointing it out, she will be supporting them again this week.
Whether she will be in Adelaide, which is where Richmond are playing, I would assume not, but if we win, I'm sure she will be at the Grand Final in Brisbane the following week.
A.F.L. is far more important than Tennis, and as a fellow tiger's supporter like Ash, i don't blame her, I wish I could fly over myself.
Richmond won again tonight, great game, so for everyone who is concerned, I assume Ash will be at the Gabba next Saturday night at the Grand final.( Even I would miss tennis for this. :cool: )
They didn't mention her tonight on the coverage I think.
There will be at least 30,000 at the final, ground capacity is 42,000, but in this Covid era, we aren't at full capacity yet.

·
King
28,702 Posts
I think some people really lack the understanding that players do not "owe" things to tournaments they are not entered into. Once they enter the tournament, they are obligated to follow the rules and participate in other activities for which they are paid and contracted to.

Ash does not owe Roland Garros ANYTHING in 2020. She won last year? Cool! That was last year though.
Doesn't she owe it to the tour? How do you think these events get so much funding/prize money? Because of brand equity, that is in part driven by the notoriety, personas, rivalries, talent of the players who occupy a lot of screentime for the sport. Top players who are just not arsed playing and who are not committed to the sport are a bad look, and why would brands want to invest in something which seems half committed to, lacking in stories, and narratives and interest in general?

I mean, not that people care about Barty anyway, but her not bothering to play either slam this year just sums up her irrelevancy to the game in general, and people just seem to think that's not important.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Doesn't she owe it to the tour? How do you think these events get so much funding/prize money?
No? Lol the tour needs players as much as the players need the tour.

Top players who are just not arsed playing and who are not committed to the sport are a bad look, and why would brands want to invest in something which seems half committed to, lacking in stories, and narratives and interest in general?
"Just not arsed playing and not committed to the tour"

Ummmm lmao hahahahahaha.

Yeah sure, that's the case. Nothing to do with the fact that she hasn't been able to see her coach since March and she's living in a covid-free environment and reluctant to travel the world during a pandemic where many tennis players are now testing positive for the disease.

I swear, TFers surprise me every day!

I mean, not that people care about Barty anyway, but her not bothering to play either slam this year just sums up her irrelevancy to the game in general, and people just seem to think that's not important.
Ahh yes, the classic "nobody cares about her - in fact I don't care about her so much that I'm going to prove how much I don't care about her by writing an entire passionate essay about how much I STRONGLY don't care about her just so everyone knows that I really don't care about her."

If she's so irrelevant, when will you stop having such strong opinions about her? :p

Honestly though - make up your mind. Either she's irrelevant and thus you don't care about her, or she's so relevant that you dedicate so much energy into hating on her. It can't be both.

I swear, the saltiness of people about Barty not travelling the globe during a pandemic when she hasn't been able to see her coach in 6 months is the funniest thing to happen in 2020. It might be a tough few months if you can't come to terms with the reality - she's still #1 and living her best life. And even if she wasn't #1, she really wouldn't care because her life is full and happy without needing to impress random bitter people on TF.

Catch her at a football game drinking beer :-D

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Doesn't she owe it to the tour? How do you think these events get so much funding/prize money? Because of brand equity, that is in part driven by the notoriety, personas, rivalries, talent of the players who occupy a lot of screentime for the sport. Top players who are just not arsed playing and who are not committed to the sport are a bad look, and why would brands want to invest in something which seems half committed to, lacking in stories, and narratives and interest in general?

Bad take. We are in the middle of a pandemic and we've seen numerous ATP players ignore the rules and put other people in the bubble at risk. Any player who is uncomfortable playing under these conditions has the prerogative to opt out. She also considered the safety of her team and decided to put everyone's health first. Well done to her for having the courage of her convictions. It couldn't have been easy to give up defending her first slam title.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Bad take. We are in the middle of a pandemic and we've seen numerous ATP players ignore the rules and put other people in the bubble at risk. Any player who is uncomfortable playing under these conditions has the prerogative to opt out. She also considered the safety of her team and decided to put everyone's health first. Well done to her for having the courage of her convictions. It couldn't have been easy to give up defending her first slam title.
Meanwhile, Vondrousova has just tested positive.

I wonder why "disrespectful" and "irrelevant" Ash "can't be bothered" leaving corona-free Queensland to go to these events - does anyone know? Such a huge mystery! HMMMMMMM.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Just wondering with regards to this stuff about her coach - was it not possible to get some sort of special exemption to allow them to see each other? After all wasn't Australia allowing some of their athletes to travel out of the country to compete in sporting events? Surely they would have wanted to do everything possible to make sure one of their star athletes and current n.1 of the WTA could actually train properly? Logistically it shouldn't have been that hard either, with case counts already being quite low in Australia. If they had some sort of mini-bubble for Barty and her team with proper testing, it seems like it would be a rather low-risk endeavour.

It just all seems a little bizarre if that's the real limiting factor here. Perhaps the real issue is she still doesn't feel safe going out into the world, especially since the situation's getting worse again in many countries. Fair enough. But considering the very real possibility of this thing not going away any time soon, and the fact that a majority of tennis players (including some Australians) are already back playing again with precautions, doing the best they can...you can't really fault people for speculating how long the number 1 ranked player is going to just stay at home.

And after all, she has the luxury of choosing to stay home when many do not. Lower-ranked players have to travel and expose themselves, because it's their job and they have to make money. And even for those who are a bit higher-ranked and make a decent living, they have to play and win points so that their future career isn't hindered by others passing them in the rankings. The latter doesn't apply to Barty right now either; the modified ranking system has ensured that she can continue to hold on to her points and rack up the weeks at number 1 while barely playing at all this year. So while yes, logically it makes sense to say "Why should she play and risk exposing herself and others when she doesn't even need the points or money?", the reality of the situation is this - nearly everyone else is currently out there fighting for their career and potentially exposing themselves to risk, while Barty is sitting comfortably at home with her untouchable number 1 ranking, chilling out and drinking beer at sports games. Even if she's not technically doing anything wrong, it's just something that's going to bother a bunch of people.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Just wondering with regards to this stuff about her coach - was it not possible to get some sort of special exemption to allow them to see each other? After all wasn't Australia allowing some of their athletes to travel out of the country to compete in sporting events? Surely they would have wanted to do everything possible to make sure one of their star athletes and current n.1 of the WTA could actually train properly? Logistically it shouldn't have been that hard either, with case counts already being quite low in Australia. If they had some sort of mini-bubble for Barty and her team with proper testing, it seems like it would be a rather low-risk endeavour.
No, the Queensland government is preventing people from Victoria and New South Wales from entering Queensland where Barty lives. Her coach lives in Melbourne.

It just all seems a little bizarre if that's the real limiting factor here. Perhaps the real issue is she still doesn't feel safe going out into the world, especially since the situation's getting worse again in many countries. Fair enough. But considering the very real possibility of this thing not going away any time soon, and the fact that a majority of tennis players (including some Australians) are already back playing again with precautions, doing the best they can...you can't really fault people for speculating how long the number 1 ranked player is going to just stay at home.
She lives in covid-free land. What she does in the future is up to her, but given that - again - she hasn't seen her coach since March and she doesn't feel safe travelling right now, I think it's absolutely absurd that she should be guilt tripped into doing so "for the sake of the WTA".

And after all, she has the luxury of choosing to stay home when many do not. Lower-ranked players have to travel and expose themselves, because it's their job and they have to make money. And even for those who are a bit higher-ranked and make a decent living, they have to play and win points so that their future career isn't hindered by others passing them in the rankings. The latter doesn't apply to Barty right now either; the modified ranking system has ensured that she can continue to hold on to her points and rack up the weeks at number 1 while barely playing at all this year. So while yes, logically it makes sense to say "Why should she play and risk exposing herself and others when she doesn't even need the points or money?", the reality of the situation is this - nearly everyone else is currently out there fighting for their career and potentially exposing themselves to risk, while Barty is sitting comfortably at home with her untouchable number 1 ranking, chilling out and drinking beer at sports games. Even if she's not technically doing anything wrong, it's just something that's going to bother a bunch of people.
So take up your issues with the WTA then instead of blaming someone who had literally zero impact on the decisions the WTA made maybe.

I really just pray that a day comes when TFers realise that the WTA is a money-making machine that profits off players more than the players profit off the WTA and that WTA players do not "owe" the tour anything, especially when it comes to their health.

Just because people think a player should rock up to a Grand Slam and travel the world in a pandemic from her safe haven after 6 months away from her coach because the poor feeble WTA needs her, that doesn't mean it's accurate.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
You know what's funniest about all this "EVIL Barty OWES IT to the POOR WTA! How could she HURT THEM like this!?!?" business on TF?

Let's paint the opposite version of events that might have happened if she had gone:

- Ash reluctantly travels to Paris and NY after not training with her coach for 6 months while all other players have been working hard.

- Ash loses in the first round because she hasn't trained with her coach and isn't travelling with him.

- TFers (the same ones going nuts at her now) go BALLISTIC at how she's "not a real number one!!!" and a "DISGRACE TO THE TOUR"

- TFers talk about how she "SHOULD HAVE STAYED HOME IF SHE COULDN'T BE BOTHERED PREPARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hmmmm....no thanks.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Lol the tour needs players as much as the players need the tour.
Agree completely with this statement, which is why I think that players do have a duty to the WTA tour. Top players especially. They can't just expect to get get get without giving back proportionally, or otherwise the tour wouldn't be successful in the long run.

It's why I hate it when a bunch of players flop hard for 12+ months straight or retire right after they've won something big / made a slam run.

I think that it's also detrimental to the tour when players win big titles, but prefer to stay out of the limelight. I think that interviews, fan engagement and social media presence are part of a tennis player's job in this era. I don't know what's going on with Kenin, but I think she needs an agent.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Ash already took a sabbatical from tennis in 2015. Maybe she feels like another one now, after 3 very successful years.

This year - maybe continuing until mid-2021 - offers the best opportunity to take a break from tennis without missing too much competition. A few players got pregnant.

Ash doesn't need the money and doesn't need to earn ranking points. And she doesn't need to justify at length why she's not playing, at least until the beginning of next year (if the Australian Open happens).

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Agree completely with this statement, which is why I think that players do have a duty to the WTA tour. Top players especially. They can't just expect to get get get without giving back proportionally, or otherwise the tour wouldn't be successful in the long run.
They do "give back". Giving back is doing promo and trying their hardest and tournaments they enter.

If you want to get technical, I remember reading that the ATP "pays" its players very lowly compared to other sports governing bodies. I'm not sure about the WTA but I feel this would be the same.

I honestly, for the absolute life of me, cannot comprehend why it's so controversial for TF to understand that Ashleigh Barty has not been legally able to see her coach for 6 months and is living in a place free of coronavirus. Is the fact that she isn't jetsetting to New York and Paris not self-explanatory? I swear people just want to see her turn up out of shape, unprepared, and without her team just so they can troll her when she loses for being "not a real number one" and "lazy".

It's why I hate it when a bunch of players flop hard for 12+ months straight or retire right after they've won something big / made a slam run.
But can you really get annoyed at someone for slumping? That's not really reasonable. It hurts them more than it hurts anyone else; they don't slump because they don't care.

If that's the standard we hold players to then are we going to be mad at them for being injured or getting pregnant?

I think that it's also detrimental to the tour when players win big titles, but prefer to stay out of the limelight. I think that interviews, fan engagement and social media presence are part of a tennis player's job in this era. I don't know what's going on with Kenin, but I think she needs an agent.
I mean I don't really agree; tennis players are tennis players. You win titles by how you hit a tennis ball and how you beat opponents. Otherwise we'd have Genie Bouchard as the GOAT. Media training isn't included for 99% of the tour.

EDIT: excuse me if my tone seems slightly impatient; it's not directed at you. I've been reading a looooooot of bs on TF over the past hour or so and it's really taken a lot out of me.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
TFers: Barty is so irrelevant and literally nobody cares about her lmao. The tour literally does not need her and I'm going to prove it by writing 900000000 threads and comments about how much I do not care about her or even think about her.

Also TFers: The WTA needs important players like Barty to generate revenue and interest; by not playing tournaments she is letting down the WTA and ruining it single-handedly.

Fam can you make up your minds? Either she's so important that her absence is hurting the WTA or she's so unimportant that her absence doesn't affect the WTA. Like...which one is it?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
You know what's funniest about all this "EVIL Barty OWES IT to the POOR WTA! How could she HURT THEM like this!?!?" business on TF?

Let's paint the opposite version of events that might have happened if she had gone:

- Ash reluctantly travels to Paris and NY after not training with her coach for 6 months while all other players have been working hard.
- Ash loses in the first round because she hasn't trained with her coach and isn't travelling with him.

Hmmmm....no thanks.
You forgot the obvious one...

Ash gets infected with Covid-19 so badly that, although the virus doesn't kill her, she spends three months in hospital, most of that on a ventilator, and never plays tennis again. Her doctors say that the only thing which saved her life was that she was so amazingly fit and strong. They think that, if she had been even a lower-level player of the type they see competing in ITF tournaments, with the correspondingly lower levels of fitness, she wouldn't have had the strength to pull through.

·
Registered
298 Posts
TFers: Barty is so irrelevant and literally nobody cares about her lmao. The tour literally does not need her and I'm going to prove it by writing 900000000 threads and comments about how much I do not care about her or even think about her.

Also TFers: The WTA needs important players like Barty to generate revenue and interest; by not playing tournaments she is letting down the WTA and ruining it single-handedly.

Fam can you make up your minds? Either she's so important that her absence is hurting the WTA or she's so unimportant that her absence doesn't affect the WTA. Like...which one is it?
There are barely any threads about Barty and most posts in these threads come from rabid Barty fans like yourself anyway. So yes, she's pretty irrelevant and is not helping her case by not being arsed to play tennis.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Ash gets infected with Covid-19 so badly that, although the virus doesn't kill her, she spends three months in hospital, most of that on a ventilator, and never plays tennis again. Her doctors say that the only thing which saved her life was that she was so amazingly fit and strong. They think that, if she had been even a lower-level player of the type they see competing in ITF tournaments, with the correspondingly lower levels of fitness, she wouldn't have had the strength to pull through.
Oh, stop the drama. One top 100 WTA player has been infected. Young people barely get sick. What do you think is the chance of that scenario ever happening? 0,001%?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

Exactly, UGH.

There are barely any threads about Barty and most posts in these threads come from rabid Barty fans like yourself anyway. So yes, she's pretty irrelevant and is not helping her case by not being arsed to play tennis.
And yet still relevant enough for you to take precious time out of your life to hate on her for not playing tennis tournaments when she hasn't seen her coach in six months to places plagued by a pandemic.

Lol this has to be the weakest troll ever - there are countless threads by people like you talking about how irrelevant she is. So irrelevant that people just can't stop talking about her.

And I'm not a rabid Barty fan - I just have a brain that I like to use for logic.

And lastly - she really doesn't care about her "case" and she's made that pretty clear. Hate all you want. She's still your number 1 :)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Oh, stop the drama. One top 100 WTA player has been infected. Young people barely get sick.
I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with people like you. Of course most young people barely get sick. So do most older people who catch the virus. But a large number of young people, and it's growing every day, get VERY sick from Covid-19 - and many of them die.
What do you think is the chance of that scenario ever happening? 0,001%?
Probably less. But that isn't the point.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts

No. That isn’t obvious. It isn’t obvious at all.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I can’t believe people think the “I can’t train with my coach” excuse is a credible one. It’s ridiculously entitled. I’m sure most players were separated from their coaches during the pandemic. And it’s not as if she hasn’t got the facilities to get some decent prep in or that she can’t communicate with him. All she needed was a decent hitting partner and a tennis court. None of the players went into NY/Cincy with what they would call ideal preparation.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts