Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Ash Barty gets beaten soundly by Wang in the fourth round, but it does not feel like a big deal.

The same was true when Riske upset her in the Wimbledon fourth round.

On the other hand, Halep, Kerber, Stephens, and Osaka (not yet at the US Open) all seem to flop quite LOUDLY.

What does this say about Ash Barty?

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
Barty won Miami and Paris, so could be #1 again next week
But like a lot of players who win a major in the WTA, there is a regression in focus and execution.
Look at Halep since Wimbledon. The last 2 slam winners are out and Osaka was irrelevant at the last 2 majors
Barty is still in the race for Year End #1, and in that super big money YEC this year
Then a home major
So Ash has a lot to look forward to, big oicture. Her draw after this round was tough, assuming Serena wins today
Today was a big loss if Qiang plays Martic, otherwise, just a tough day

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
She seems like a nice girl but the idea of her dominating the tour after she won RG was simply never going to happen.

Win a slam then lose to Riske and Wang in the following 2 majors?

Every time she loses it doesn't feel like an upset , never a good sign.

·
Registered
297 Posts
She seems like a nice girl but the idea of her dominating the tour after she won RG was simply never going to happen.

Win a slam then lose to Riske and Wang in the following 2 majors?

Every time she loses it doesn't feel like an upset , never a good sign.
Other players have done way worst flops...

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
So, Ash Barty gets beaten soundly by Wang in the fourth round, but it does not feel like a big deal.

The same was true when Riske upset her in the Wimbledon fourth round.

On the other hand, Halep, Kerber, Stephens, and Osaka (not yet at the US Open) all seem to flop quite LOUDLY.

What does this say about Ash Barty?
We're used to relatively weaker No.1's by now.

Saying someone is the No.1 Player in the World doesn't mean as much as it used to.

It's still an accomplishment, but being No.1 in the early 2000's or 1990's isn't climbing nearly the same mountain as doing it in the latter part of 2010's.

Most players want Slams nowadays and the ranking is a means to an end.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is not flop, this is her actual level. Winning RG by facing only one seed (Keys who was playing baseball at the time) was a joke Slam title run, even more so considering she hates clay. I know she won Miami but all sorts of flops can get their hands on PM titles. Even Konta and Vesnina has got one. It's tougher for average players to win Slams. Most recent before Ash was Carowhine, I guess. Assisted by the great Jana Fett and mentally soft Halep in the final.

·
Registered
129 Posts
She retired once before.

Well, not retired. She took a couple years off because tennis stopped being fun. She came back with a renewed focus, won a Slam, and now she seems disinterested again.

Maybe her heart isn't in it. Maybe the grind just gets to her. There are too many tournaments and too much travel, I think tennis just burns a lot of girls out (especially young ones).

·
Registered
23,088 Posts
I have read somewhere that she has only beaten 1 top 20 player at a Slam in 20 matches, so that says a whole lot :spit:
I do find her talented and a good player overall but to think of her as a valid No1 is just not right. Even Ivanovic and Jankovic looked like real No1, until their eventual demise after attaining that spot, but up until that point they looked worthy, which is more than can be said of Ash.

Not to mention how many other players would have been better No1s than her, Kvitova up first

·
Registered
112,700 Posts
People and media dont know who she is :shrug:
At the next major they all know who Barty is
Anyway, most players arent looking for the Gauff kind of hype
Barty is in the Player of the Year race. She will earn tens of millions. I'll bet she's happy with her year, a slam and #1 rabking

1 - 20 of 54 Posts