Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But it actually has little to do with Venus' absence. Or rather, I'm usually somewhat bored the first week of a GS, unless the draw sets up something. And with 32 seeds, that just doesn't happen much. Of course, Venus and Serena get a lot in GS TV coverage, which makes it tolerable. Barely. The women's matches are SO one-sided. The ones they're willing to show that is. Look at the 3-set third round matches.

Zvonareva-Shaughnessy - American vs Blonde Russian. That we had a chance of seeing. And Capriati vs the near-Serena slayer was made for TV. But Molik/Suarez, Sugiyama/Pratt, Myskina/Sanchez-Lorenzo? Those allhad the potential to be entertaining, turns out they WERE entertaining, but my best chance of seeing those matches was probably moving to Melbourne.

(I HATE 32 seeds I HATE 32 seeds I HATE 32 seeds I HATE 32 seeds)

Of course, next week, when the hitters start playing each other, things'll pick up. But this week has been lost art. About all the week is good for is seeing who's playing well and who isn't. And in that regard, I'm way more interested in the OPPONENTS of Kim, Justine, Lindsay, Jenn and Amelie. I already know those five. But it's always 'American fans will only watch Americans'. Well, I don't know that they SAY that in meetings, but the coverage sure seems that way. I didn't even get to see Davenport-Petrova.

·
Registered
22,715 Posts
Start watching the men's matches. Much more exciting. And 9 of the top 10 are still intact!

·
Banned
1,632 Posts
Volcana said:
But it actually has little to do with Venus' absence. Or rather, I'm usually somewhat bored the first week of a GS, unless the draw sets up something. And with 32 seeds, that just doesn't happen much. Of course, Venus and Serena get a lot in GS TV coverage, which makes it tolerable. Barely. The women's matches are SO one-sided. The ones they're willing to show that is. Look at the 3-set third round matches.

Zvonareva-Shaughnessy - American vs Blonde Russian. That we had a chance of seeing. And Capriati vs the near-Serena slayer was made for TV. But Molik/Suarez, Sugiyama/Pratt, Myskina/Sanchez-Lorenzo? Those allhad the potential to be entertaining, turns out they WERE entertaining, but my best chance of seeing those matches was probably moving to Melbourne.

(I HATE 32 seeds I HATE 32 seeds I HATE 32 seeds I HATE 32 seeds)

Of course, next week, when the hitters start playing each other, things'll pick up. But this week has been lost art. About all the week is good for is seeing who's playing well and who isn't. And in that regard, I'm way more interested in the OPPONENTS of Kim, Justine, Lindsay, Jenn and Amelie. I already know those five. But it's always 'American fans will only watch Americans'. Well, I don't know that they SAY that in meetings, but the coverage sure seems that way. I didn't even get to see Davenport-Petrova.
Chile they showed most of Miss Nadia and Miss Lindsay match. They was cuttin back and forth to that men's match but they did show it.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
The media is extremely bored with this batch of women playing. They are back at that pre WILLIAMS stage and are spoiled after having been conditioned to the energy generated by the fabulous WILLIAMS sisters. :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
36,726 Posts
TeeRexx said:
The media is extremely bored with this batch of women playing. They are back at that pre WILLIAMS stage and are spoiled after having been conditioned to the energy generated by the fabulous WILLIAMS sisters. :)
yeah of course, everyone loves to see bagels and breadsticks all the time :bounce: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
per4ever said:
yeah of course, everyone loves to see bagels and breadsticks all the time :bounce: :rolleyes:
It seems so, but of course they like it if the Williams sisters bake them. They ignore to see through it. Now that their favs aren't playing, they start to notice that the first week is boring. Well it always has been boring.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
less that i'm bored, is that i'm disappointed that some of these lower seeded players couldn't pull out an upset. Petrova had her chances and just kept hitting UEs..
same with Dementieva.. she had her chances vs. Jenny...

but I agree, the mens matches have been pretty good. the Younes el-a match was good, the paradorn matches are always fun....
hey, I'm just happy there is tennis on tv..i think i'm even starting to like andy roddick.. is there help for m???

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
It's called withdrawal, Volcana. I went through the same thing when Steffi Graf retired. There were a few interesting players, but nobody I wanted to watch, and after watching the Graf intensity since 1984, every match just seemed empty and boring. That is when I pulled out my Graf collection of VHS, and popped a tape in now and again, and then went out and hit. Play some tennis- it'll get you over it. It won't be too long until one of the sisters is back out there- and they probably won't come out and win right away because of the break- so look at this as whetting your appetite!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Why didn't you get Davenport-Petrova? Didn't they show that on CBS?

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ptkten said:
Why didn't you get Davenport-Petrova? Didn't they show that on CBS?
Because I was at my stupid sister-in-law's in stupid Philadelphia, and they had some stupid baseball game on.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Volcana said:
Because I was at my stupid sister-in-law's in stupid Philadelphia, and they had some stupid baseball game on.
And there were quite a few very competitive women's matches in the first week, they just don't show them. If I see for example Magui Serna vs Anastasia Myskina, I'm thinking, that's a match to check in on. At CBS, they look at each other blankly and say 'What's a Magui?'. THey don't know the players, or their games, or what combinations produce exciting tennis. They know stars. Period. Thin we'll ever get to see Emilie Loit if she ISN'T playing a big name American? Riiiiight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.