Tennis Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
it's just me against the music.
27,249 Posts
Smart by Sabalenka. For the non-Americans, New York's numbers are FANTASTIC. But of course, stay tuned. New York is not the American spike you're seeing. That's from the South, Arizona and California. There is nothing to worry about for Cincinnati or the USO -- as of now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For the non-Americans, New York's numbers are FANTASTIC.
Between yesterday and today I see an average of + 700 cases / day....Australia goes partly in lockdown when 20 people test positive, New Zealand is in crisis when 2 positives escape lockdown, Spain, UK, Italy, Germany all have similar or fewer new cases.......Maybe for Americans these NY numbers are fantastic, which I can imagine weighed up against the 60,000 for the country, but a non-American (save Sabalenka ?) will think twice.......

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
Smart by Sabalenka. For the non-Americans, New York's numbers are FANTASTIC. But of course, stay tuned. New York is not the American spike you're seeing. That's from the South, Arizona and California. There is nothing to worry about for Cincinnati or the USO -- as of now.
Interesting and good move by Sabalenka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,162 Posts
Between yesterday and today I see an average of + 700 cases / day....Australia goes partly in lockdown when 20 people test positive, New Zealand is in crisis when 2 positives escape lockdown, Spain, UK, Italy, Germany all have similar or fewer new cases.......Maybe for Americans these NY numbers are fantastic, which I can imagine weighed up against the 60,000 for the country, but a non-American (save Sabalenka ?) will think twice.......
Ironically I am one of the last people to defend the US approach but New York, and generally the Northeast + DC (and maybe Washington state), are the only areas that have handled this thing well since the original spike, similar to Europe. New York is at several hundred cases a day but growth is flat/negative, so it actually is one of the only places in the country that holding a tournament is somewhat feasible at the moment. I still think it's too soon to be having athletes come in from all around the world though and this plan of confinement to a hotel far from the grounds without any apparent penalty for breaking it seems like a mess waiting to happen so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Please get your facts straight.
Between yesterday and today I see an average of + 700 cases / day....
That is for New York STATE, not New York CITY. The city's share is about 250, with around 50-60 in Queens (home of Flushing Meadows).
Australia goes partly in lockdown when 20 people test positive,
Melbourne has gone into lockdown because it is now getting over 200 new cases a day - not 20.
New Zealand is in crisis when 2 positives escape lockdown,
Only ONE of our escapers tested positive. The longest that any of them was absent from lockdown before being apprehended (or, in the positive case, returning after he had done his shopping) was about two hours. The most vehement critics of this behaviour are others who are waiting out their 14 days in managed isolation/quarantine.

We are not "in crisis." We do, however, have no community transmission at all, and want to keep it that way, so of course people are concerned when "escapes" happen.

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
Between yesterday and today I see an average of + 700 cases / day....Australia goes partly in lockdown when 20 people test positive, New Zealand is in crisis when 2 positives escape lockdown, Spain, UK, Italy, Germany all have similar or fewer new cases.......Maybe for Americans these NY numbers are fantastic, which I can imagine weighed up against the 60,000 for the country, but a non-American (save Sabalenka ?) will think twice[/ b].......
they seemed equally unhappy about the USO ‘ restrictions so it is not just the numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/b]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Melbourne has gone into lockdown because it is now getting over 200 new cases a day - not 20.
Suburbs of Melbourne went into a 4 week lockdown when numbers were well below the 100, if that wasn't 20 to be exact, point taken..

We are not "in crisis." We do, however, have no community transmission at all, and want to keep it that way, so of course people are concerned when "escapes" happen.
The prime minister was vehemently attacked if I'm not mistaken and there was a health minister sacked ?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The prime minister was vehemently attacked if I'm not mistaken
The Prime Minister was "vehemently attacked" by the Opposition in Parliament, which is only to be expected if they don't agree with ANYTHING. That hardly counts now, since their leader, who had held that position for only 53 days, resigned this morning.
and there was a health minister sacked ?
No, he wasn't sacked, although he should have been. He resigned.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyway, my point was the difference in the approaches in different parts of the world.....I don't have to travel to the USA but I hope for the US open sake that the players who do will look at the suburb of NY city that has only 60 cases daily instead of the 250 for the city or the 700 for the state or the 65000 for the country ?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Anyway, my point was the difference in the approaches in different parts of the world.....I don't have to travel to the USA but I hope for the US open sake that the players who do will look at the suburb of NY city that has only 60 cases daily instead of the 250 for the city or the 700 for the state or the 65000 for the country ?
I agree. I think there will be several (many?) who won't drill down that deeply, and will simply say "stuff it - I'm not going."

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Please get your facts straight.

That is for New York STATE, not New York CITY. The city's share is about 250, with around 50-60 in Queens (home of Flushing Meadows).

Only ONE of our escapers tested positive. The longest that any of them was absent from lockdown before being apprehended (or, in the positive case, returning after he had done his shopping) was about two hours. The most vehement critics of this behaviour are others who are waiting out their 14 days in managed isolation/quarantine.

gothamist.com has up to date numbers on covid in NYC and NY state
-
Gotham is another name for NYC.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts