Tennis Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well I hope Simone's chase for 24 goes a little bit better than somebody else's chase for 24....

I thought she got robbed of the bronze. It was her standard routine, but she actually stuck the dismount which would have been the 1/10th she needed to get bronze. I am happy Sunisa got a medal. If she failed to get an individual medal under Karoyli, it would be off with her head.

Fridge Carey getting a silver on vault tells you everything that is wrong with the scoring in the sport/apparatus. Teas of Paeska's world title.

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
Nagornyy wins his 3rd gold medal of the meet by winning vault. His teammate Dalaloyan finishes 2nd behind him once again and 3rd goes to Radivilov of Ukraine. That's the 2nd Russia/Russia/Ukraine podium we've had at this year's worlds.

Simone absolutely destroys the field on beam. Absolutely stunning routine, practically no flaws at all and she earns a massive 15.066 to win her 24th worlds medal, 18 of which are gold. China takes silver & bronze and Kara Eaker finishes 4th. Poor MDJDS has to wait for her individual worlds medal finishing 5th.

Poor Flavia Saraiva too, who fell on beam. Still scored a 13.400, and realistically had a shot at the podium if she didn't fall because she was only .9 away from bronze. Padarariu fell twice on it too

We still have 3 more finals with men's PB, women's floor and men's HB

·
Registered
13,152 Posts
Poor poor Lukas Dauser in the PB final with that fall. Really had a shot at gold if he didn't fall tbh. Understandably crying afterwards with such a letdown performance after that amazing display in the qualifiers. Pakhniuk also had an error where his legs touched the bars and didn't make the podium too.

Joe Fraser of GB wins the gold in this extremely depleted field without Verniaiev and Zou Jingyuan. Ahmet Onder wins silver and Kaya wins bronze.

Women's floor went as expected with gold and silver. Bronze was a little more contentious, I thought Saraiva deserved it more than Melnikova but the judges clearly thought otherwise. Biles wins her 25th worlds medal and 19th gold. Silver to Lee, exactly 1 point off Biles (15.133 to 14.133).

HB final was interesting, shame fall for the top qualifier Tang from Taiwan. Mikulak piled in everything he could but poor execution and he ended up in 5th. Arthur Mariano of Brazil wins gold, silver for Srbic and bronze for Dalaloyan again. Zonderland not in this final after failing to qualify.

·
Registered
23,553 Posts
Such a great Championships!!! excited for Tokyo 2020

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Laurent has done wonders with Simone on beam and floor. She is now a complete rock on both events. He's really reworked that beam routine where it is basically fall proof. There's only a few spots where she can miss a connection/wobble, and still win fairly safely even if the Chinese do their standard routine. Now if only he can clean up her floor....

This might have been Simone's best meet ever. She got the 5 golds she missed in Rio, but from a quality standpoint there were no major errors.

Kara Eaker being brought for beam twice in a row and flopping both times :lol: Glad the judges finally clocked her for her rings position. The domestic judges were letting her get away with murder.

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
Laurent has done wonders with Simone on beam and floor. She is now a complete rock on both events. He's really reworked that beam routine where it is basically fall proof. There's only a few spots where she can miss a connection/wobble, and still win fairly safely even if the Chinese do their standard routine. Now if only he can clean up her floor....
i do feel like everything except the dismount is so vanilla though... obviously it makes sense for her to get rid of the front pike elements since they've been so inconsistent for her in the past, but the routine is a total yawn for the 1st minute and 25 seconds. the chinese girls have done much better domestically tbh, there are some chinese girls with triple twists that also have a lot of mixed series connection that have a higher ceiling than simone but obviously will never be as consistent. but i think this was still a pretty good meet for them, they all pretty much hit except for LTT in the TF. i was not expecting them to go 3/3 on floor in TF for example :lol:

Kara Eaker being brought for beam twice in a row and flopping both times :lol: Glad the judges finally clocked her for her rings position. The domestic judges were letting her get away with murder.
gawd her rings drive me nuts especially the one she connects to her switch mount. she has amazing fluidity but the rings are such a turn off for me.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I do enjoy her triple layout. That series complete money. Only one who ever did it as well was Shawn Johnson. I do think the Chinese has firmly surpassed the US as the best beam nation. Once Simone is gone, they will be the favorites for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
So happy Simone is more solid on beam again! I feel like that's the best beam routine she's done in years.

I'm not too worried about her floor OOB issues. I think she was playing it safe and making sure she didn't get injured. Besides, it really doesn't seem to matter too much.

Derwael's bars just really don't excite me that much. I mean, she's absolutely amazing and her difficulty is crazy, but it's just...not my thing, I guess.

It's times like this I REALLY miss Mustafina. I am secretly hoping that she'll come back and get her third gold on bars in Tokyo, but like...watching Derwael and Lee just has me really negative about her chances of doing so.

It really seems like she can't get her inbars back after the pregnancy. I remain hopeful, but all signs point to no. She has other ways she can increase her difficulty that she's been training (Ricna, Fabrichnova) and of course her execution is way better than the others, but without the difficulty she is really going to have to HIT every single thing in her routine and probably rely on Derwael missing. I can't ever see her adding a Nabieva or anything like that, so I hope she's working really hard on that Fabrichnova and getting even more connections into her routine.

Also...unpopular opinion I know, but I think Mykayla Skinner is really worthy of an inclusion in Tokyo now. With Carey taking the individual spot, Skinner's Cheng and Amanar would be huge assets, as well as her floor. I know that McCallum and others can also be good on vault and floor PLUS they are better on bars and beam than Skinner, but I just don't see anyone else adding the scores that Skinner can on vault and floor. If Carey doesn't hit on the day, Skinner could even 2 per country her out of event finals.

Skinner has really improved so much in such a short amount of time, and I think there's much more to come from her as well. It will be really interesting to see what upgrades McCallum, Lee, McCusker and Hurd can bring (Hurd is training a Downie I think).

Getting onto the US Olympic team is basically harder than winning a medal at the Olympics :-\

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
This Simone Biles girl is insane. Her stability when landing is from another world. She's obviously on another level, but reminds me a little bit of our own Daiane dos Santos. Don't know if you guys remember her

Funnily enough I was reading about her and found out that both her Head Coach and her Coreographer were Ostapenkos. What a funny coincidence.

I'm glad Nory could win a gold medal keeping Brazil alive in the gymnastics.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Also...unpopular opinion I know, but I think Mykayla Skinner is really worthy of an inclusion in Tokyo now. With Carey taking the individual spot, Skinner's Cheng and Amanar would be huge assets, as well as her floor. I know that McCallum and others can also be good on vault and floor PLUS they are better on bars and beam than Skinner, but I just don't see anyone else adding the scores that Skinner can on vault and floor. If Carey doesn't hit on the day, Skinner could even 2 per country her out of event finals.

Skinner has really improved so much in such a short amount of time, and I think there's much more to come from her as well. It will be really interesting to see what upgrades McCallum, Lee, McCusker and Hurd can bring (Hurd is training a Downie I think).

Getting onto the US Olympic team is basically harder than winning a medal at the Olympics :-\
I am fascinated by these scenarios as well. I think if Fridge Carey wasn't going the sham individual route, Skinner would have no chance. Fridge would have been a lock for a team as USAG would never turn down the #2 on vault/floor in the world just because she has no beam/bars. All she really did is qualify her way out of an easy (team) gold medal. It also makes way for Skinner to make Tokyo, in which case she has increased competition on floor/vault and she risks being 2 per countried out of her events.

I am thinking if everything else holds, Skinner will move into the Fridge Carey role on the team (unless USAG really wants to throw away an individual spot----which they may do). They then only need a 3rd bars/beam score (presuming Biles/Lee are still top 2 in the AA). As of now, I think Hurd would be best nominee for that as she is a proven quantity and can actually hit in big meets. She also could easily fill in on floor or vault in case of an injury (whereas Riley McCusker wouldn't be able to as her floor and vault is thrash). Kara Eaker would be a good candidate for this role even though presumably they will chuck her into the 2nd individual spot. There will also be a few good 1st year seniors next year that will factor in. I don't think anyone is a lock outside of Simone though. Lee could be the Maggie Nichols of this quad.

I think if anything, Skinner's probability of making it actually kinda speaks to the state of US Gymnastics. I know we are a year out, but I think outside of Simone I am really unimpressed and I am not totally convinced the USA will continue their stranglehold as easily once Simone (presumably) retires after Tokyo.

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
This Simone Biles girl is insane. Her stability when landing is from another world. She's obviously on another level, but reminds me a little bit of our own Daiane dos Santos. Don't know if you guys remember her

Funnily enough I was reading about her and found out that both her Head Coach and her Coreographer were Ostapenkos. What a funny coincidence.

I'm glad Nory could win a gold medal keeping Brazil alive in the gymnastics.
haha, non 4-year fans of gymnastics will never forget dos santos, she has two named skills on floor and one of them no one dares to do since it's so fucking hard (double arabian layout, rarely see the men do it either). i feel daiane probably would've had a few more floor medals in the 2012-now era of gymnastics where difficulty reigns supreme. simone is great but the AA FX performance would've knocked her off the podium back in the day (not that i agree, but just different systems).

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
How will the Russia ban affect gymnastics????
nothing really, as long as the individual athlete proves they are clean, then it's fine. will probably just be like 2018 winter. still the heavy faves for silver

61 - 77 of 77 Posts