Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
15,475 Posts
Re: 2018 Gymnastics Worlds

tingting hit!!!! i'm so happy :tears:

she barely made it to the final and somehow won the gold!!! she always had it in her though

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I can't @ Kara Eaker being brought for her beam and then flubbing the final on her MOUNT LOL. Sanne sucking was some sweet justice.

·
Registered
15,475 Posts

I can't @ Kara Eaker being brought for her beam and then flubbing the final on her MOUNT LOL. Sanne sucking was some sweet justice.
wait she fell on her switch leap mount? :tears: sometimes i feel like the mental toughness of the us girls is overrated because they've been blessed with mental giants like raisman and biles that are able to carry the team the past few years :lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

wait she fell on her switch leap mount? :tears: sometimes i feel like the mental toughness of the us girls is overrated because they've been blessed with mental giants like raisman and biles that are able to carry the team the past few years :lol:
The reputation is more the US doesn't fall in team finals. The last time I can remember that happening was Maddie Larson on Floor in 2010. She got blacklisted afterwards.

I'd add Gabby to that list too. She was always pretty messy at domestic meets, but always got it WAY together in time for Worlds/Olympics. It's too bad we never got it more often.

I really think Simone's health problems took her out of the game this week. She was amazing in qualifying but she was pretty messy the rest of the week. She has been a ROCK on beam this year, so weird so see her miss 3/4 beam routines.

·
Registered
15,475 Posts

The reputation is more the US doesn't fall in team finals. The last time I can remember that happening was Maddie Larson on Floor in 2010. She got blacklisted afterwards.

I'd add Gabby to that list too. She was always pretty messy at domestic meets, but always got it WAY together in time for Worlds/Olympics. It's too bad we never got it more often.

I really think Simone's health problems took her out of the game this week. She was amazing in qualifying but she was pretty messy the rest of the week. She has been a ROCK on beam this year, so weird so see her miss 3/4 beam routines.
iirc maggie nichols fell on BB in TF in 2015. but i'll give her a pass since she was the only gymnast doing all 4 events from team USA, even though marta didn't let her do it in qualifying :rolleyes: so glad that witch's reputation is tainted forever more

·
Blighted and solo
43,907 Posts

iirc maggie nichols fell on BB in TF in 2015. but i'll give her a pass since she was the only gymnast doing all 4 events from team USA, even though marta didn't let her do it in qualifying :rolleyes: so glad that witch's reputation is tainted forever more
Maggie didn't fall.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Bumping for 2019 Worlds.

Kara Eaker's coach submitting an inquiry on beam for NO reason and then her score getting lowered to the point where she missed beam final was maybe the biggest self own I've seen in sports. If Martha was the coach, she would be backlisted (if she wasn't already after choking last year for the one event she was brought for).

Sunisa Lee is on track to become the best non-Simone gymnast of the quad (and maybe last quad). I hope this podium stays exactly the same for the AA, and for the AA in Tokyo.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Bumping for 2019 Worlds.

Kara Eaker's coach submitting an inquiry on beam for NO reason and then her score getting lowered to the point where she missed beam final was maybe the biggest self own I've seen in sports.
That was so embarrassing :help:

I've enjoyed the level of the field this year, although I'm honestly devastated after Brazilian team missed qualification for Tokyo. First Olympics without a full team since Sydney when I started following the sport.
Melanie de Jesus is on fire, I love her. And Biles seemed to be bothered with something, I don't think she was happy with what she presented yesterday, hopefully she'll enjoy it more during finals.
On a side note, the camera angle showing the floor area is strange, makes it look so small and stretched on TV.

·
Amateur Volleyer
31,995 Posts
Lowest scoring qualifier for the finals, Qualified on a tiebreaker rule :help: Shocking. This looks like it will be our worst men's team in a while. I wonder if NBC will pretend our men don't exist to focus on Simone and the women.
Probably! :lol: The regular NBC channel is only showing a 3 hour block of coverage on Saturday... in which they're gonna try to cram in women's team, women's AA, men's team, and men's AA. The men will be a footnote.

USAG should really try to bribe Leyva out of retirement for Tokyo.

I won't be surprised if Sam bounces back this week though. Yesterday's disaster will surely lower the expectations on him and take some pressure off.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
I was surprised to Italy medal in the team event.
China must have had a complete collapse. :eek:

[edit] Got a chance to watch the team competition. What a mess. Italy's surprise medal is the one highlight. USA wasn't clean but still ran away with it.

China in particular was horrible, huge mistakes on their best events. And makeup that made them look like demented clown children.

·
Registered
12,451 Posts
Russia has caused the (mini) upset taking Gold over China in the men's team. Japan took the bronze.

China looked on course to run away with it having a 1.5 point lead into the HBar (final rotation) with ZJY hitting his PB routine for a massive 16.383 score (7.000, 9.383) before Sun Wei fell on his first catch on the HB scoring a 12.7+. Russia took advantage and Nagornyy finished with a beautiful routine to take the gold with a 14+ score.

USA had a much better showing than Q despite not medalling. China did better overall too except that unfortunate HB fall. Russia was steady throughout, no particular standout moments, just very consistent and high-scoring in general like in qualies.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts