1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated: 08:08 PM EDT
Scramble for supremacy in women's tennis
By STEVEN WINE, AP SPORTS

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - With the queen of grass newly crowned, the women's tennis tour will now switch to hard courts, where fans can look forward to truer bounces, hotter weather and an intriguing tussle at the top.
Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova will be out to show that she's not a fluke, and don't bet against her.

Serena Williams will try to recover from the latest setback in her comeback from knee surgery a year ago.

Venus Williams will attempt to shake a slump that has left her without a Grand Slam title since 2001.

Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters, who both missed Wimbledon, remain Nos. 1 and 2 despite their inactivity. It's unclear when they'll return, but Clijsters is expected to miss the U.S. Open because of a left wrist injury.

With the Belgians out and the Williams family dynasty in decline, at least for now, there's no dominant player in the women's game. The post-Wimbledon scramble for supremacy will culminate with two consecutive marquee events - the Athens Olympics and the U.S. Open.

Sharapova, the game's newest star, won her first Grand Slam title and instant celebrity by beating Serena Williams 6-1, 6-4 Saturday.

For the first time since 1999, none of the four major titles is held by a Williams. Venus, upset in the second round at Wimbledon, has slipped to 15th in the rankings, and Serena is 14th, her lowest since March 2000.

Sharapova is eighth and rising. London newspapers trumpeted her breakthrough to stardom under such headlines as "Sharapova the supernova."

As the 17-year-old Siberian native showed throughout the fortnight, she's poised, personable and precocious - and has a terrific backhand besides. Jana Novotna, who was just shy of 30 when she won her first major at Wimbledon in 1998, could only marvel at Sharapova's dominating performance against Williams.

"I don't remember when I saw somebody so young come in and play like that in their first final," Novotna said.

Even Sharapova is surprised by her success at such a young age. But she's confident that her first title in a major event won't be her last.

"I'd like to win all the Grand Slams," she said. "I mean, Wimbledon is my favorite, really, and I'd love to win it many more times, of course. But I'd also like to win all the other Grand Slams."

Several other Russians are major contenders, including French Open champion Anastasia Myskina, who last month became the first woman from her country to win a Grand Slam title. There's also No. 8 Svetlana Kuznetsova, No. 12 Nadia Petrova and No. 13 Vera Zvonareva.

"There are like 50 players from Russia in the top 10. Every week you have to play an 'ova," Serena Williams said, laughing. "They ask, 'Who're you playing?' I say, 'I'm playing an 'ova today."

07/04/04 20:06 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
According to the british press Serena said: "Nowadays there's about fifty Russians in the Top Ten!" :lol:

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the 2000 season until the 2003 season, Venus was the one who ruled the summer harcourt season. In 2003, it was Justine. Because Venus is struggling to get her game back and Justine is sick and may not play this summer at all, the picking is ripe for anyone to move in, but don't be surprised if it isn't a Russian. When they were here in March, the best they could do is a semifinal finish in Indian Wells(Myskina) and a ass kicking in the Miami final(Dementieva). I would not be surprised if Amelie were to win a couple of hardcourt tournaments, but we will have to see.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I think Venus will regain form on the hardcourts. Serena has only played 1 summer HC tourney in the past 2 years outside the US Open, it'll be glad to see her back. I hope they fulfill their doubles commitments because their volleys let them down at crucial times at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knizzle said:
I think Venus will regain form on the hardcourts. Serena has only played 1 summer HC tourney in the past 2 years outside the US Open, it'll be glad to see her back. I hope they fulfill their doubles commitments because their volleys let them down at crucial times at Wimbledon.
I hope so. That's why I am glad she is skipping Fed Cup (which is being played on clay) to work on her problems on the hardcourts.

Are the sisters going to play doubles at Los Angeles and San Diego?

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
lizchris said:
I hope so. That's why I am glad she is skipping Fed Cup (which is being played on clay) to work on her problems on the hardcourts.

Are the sisters going to play doubles at Los Angeles and San Diego?
They never said which tourneys they would play doubles at, but Venus said they would play some warmups in doubles leading in the Olympics and they committed to 2 of the same tourneys before the Olympics so I'm guessing those are the ones they will play doubles at.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Not a bad article, but the person who wrote it misses the fact that we've all picked up on: Momo and Nastya (and Lindsay to an extent) are now best placed to take over the # 1 spot. Whatever you think about it, there it is. I guess you need to know a fair bit about rankings and players to work it out, but this is the sort of thing that journalists should be able to grasp and explain. All they'd have to say is that the consistent performances of those two/three have now got them poised to take over from the Belgians.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Knizzle said:
They never said which tourneys they would play doubles at, but Venus said they would play some warmups in doubles leading in the Olympics and they committed to 2 of the same tourneys before the Olympics so I'm guessing those are the ones they will play doubles at.
I just hope they don't pull out of those tournaments. But we will have to see.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Knizzle said:
I agree. People forget how well she played in the first round, and personally I think Sprem played as well as Sharapova did (Just maybe not as consistant) and Venus handled her better than Serena did Sharapova.

Both Venus and Serena will get back together in the summer. I'm not expecting them to win everything, but I think Venus will win Bank of the West and one of them will win San Diego.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
mmcdonald said:
I agree. People forget how well she played in the first round, and personally I think Sprem played as well as Sharapova did (Just maybe not as consistant) and Venus handled her better than Serena did Sharapova.

Both Venus and Serena will get back together in the summer. I'm not expecting them to win everything, but I think Venus will win Bank of the West and one of them will win San Diego.
I actually think they will win everything. Call me crazy. I think they are pissed the f*ck off, especially Serena. I wonder about Serena though cause she hasn't played these events in a few years. Venus is used to playing a full summer schedule of 3 tourneys or more.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Sprem choked though. Sharapova doesn't get nervous, and Sprem OBVIOUSLY did. On sooooo many big points, Sprem would dump balls into the net or spray them wide. Sharapova, on the other hand, came up with three or four service winners while serving for the match. That is what separates Maria from Sprem.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Er... Davenport took Sprem out 6-2 6-2
So how come Venus didn't do that, if she's at that level?

What's more, Sharapova then beat Davenport convincingly 2-6 7-6 6-1, running away with the final set.

I really don't think the Williams will have it so easy. Their level has dropped and the level of other players has risen. If Maria wasn't limited in tournaments, I think she might put up a strong show this summer. However there are plenty to give the Williams stiff opposition.

Number 1 ranking is wide open.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Doc said:
Er... Davenport took Sprem out 6-2 6-2
So how come Venus didn't do that, if she's at that level?

What's more, Sharapova then beat Davenport convincingly 2-6 7-6 6-1, running away with the final set.

I really don't think the Williams will have it so easy. Their level has dropped and the level of other players has risen. If Maria wasn't limited in tournaments, I think she might put up a strong show this summer. However there are plenty to give the Williams stiff opposition.

Number 1 ranking is wide open.

I thought Justine was signed up to play the Canadian Open?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I think that Venus will response to the serena assault at Wimbly. She hate to see people beating her sister and that motivates her more. Also, part of me is happy that Serena lost, because the win at miami somewhat convinced her that she didn't have to work harder. This lost will only motivate Serena to get back to where she was a year ago (not talking about the knee surgery, I am talking about the performance level.) This will make her hungry and lets not forget that when Serena lost to Jen before roland garros, she said that she was going to go home and work on some things and it will make her better and she comes back and makes it to the finals at wimbly. When Serena and Venus get back to where they were at, they will be totally different players than they were before the injuries. It is fun to have different grand slam winners now, but it will be more enjoyable when they are all in the same draw and competing for another one, and the smaller tourneys will benefit when they have two or three grand slam champions in the draw, especially the most recent ones.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Tennis is becoming so interesting again! Who would have thought judging by the way the year started, with another belgian final. The 3 grand slams had 6 different finalists :D

A look at the summer hardcourt season:

Stanford - Venus, Davenport, Kuznetsova or maybe Bovina will probably win it.

L.A. - many top players! A williams, sharapova or davenport will get it

San Diego - the same field of L.A. plus Henin. She may be too rusty to win it, so I pick the same players again

Montreal - Henin, Serena, Momo or Myskina will probably take it

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I wish Hantuchova confirms her return into form so that she would be a serious candidate for some events. Her best surfaces are hardcourt and supreme indoor.

All the russians sure are very motivated with Nastya and Masha's big wins.

·
Banned
100 Posts
once again, Capriati is being singled out...well thats fine, wait till she beats out the supposed "queens" and becomes herself yet another contender for the US open...remember its not over till the fat lady sings...and jen aint done singing!

ta`

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
I don't like this article. It's not particulary accurate and skirts around
alot of the finer points, and just gives blanket statements about the
so called "new regime".

1) The Sisters in "decline"?. I'm not a fan of the Williams; but "decline"
is a bit too harsh, and a tad bitchy. They are not ruling iron fist on
the top; but they are still there. Nobody here is talking retirement yet!
Still here, still making noise. It's not over, until they say it's over.

2) Justine won the Australian open 2004, Dubai, and Indian Wells, with
a semi final on green clay at Amelia island and Doha hardcourt.
I'd hardly call this a decline. She lost in the early rounds out of match
practice, and off her emotional gamesmenship armour at RG still
carrying a viral infection. Hasn't even peaked in her career, and
still tweaking the serve and forehand. Still a work in progress.
Has a 1-handback hand that no "new regime" player can touch.

3) Kim was a finalist at AO 2004, won Antwerp, and routed Sprem
at Fed Cup. Out with injury. Not on the decline, sorry just injured.
She hasn't even peaked in her career!

4) Capriati Awol at AO. Lost in rounds before the semi's until
red clay season. Slowly trying to get into fighting shape. Changing
coaches like Serena does new shoes. The Capster not talking retirement
yet! Willing to change game style, and performance strategy now. A
work in progress, and trying to do what Agassi did in 1999.
She can still blow away the rest of the draw in a good week.
Not leaving!!

5) Amelie is just getting better and better. She's over come her
bad injury during AO 2004, and has come back stronger. The test
was seeing how well she handle WIMBLEDON after the annual
"French Open" roasting. She made it to the semi final, and in
3 sets too against Serena. Not on decline to the Russians or
anybody. Quietly moving up in confidence. No grand slam title
yet; but getting closer. As with Justine, she's an all court player
with accuracy, skills, and a 1-handed backhand that wrong foots
everyone. The serve is actually better now than last season.

6) Myskina. Won RG. Proved that she's got an all court game; but
meeked out at WIMBLEDON with her newly crownded reputation
and attention. Same with Dementieva. The new reputation from
RG has been a bit of a set back. Life was so much easier before
the former President of Russia started to name you as his favorite
tennis player to the worldwide journalists, and gave you bear hugs!

7) Sveta, Petrova, and Vera. As with ED and Myskina- the new
pressure to hoist the Russian flag was too much to bear on their
shoulders. Folded like Japanese futons at WIMBLEDON. Besides
Myskina and ED at RG, everyone else including Dinara have
been looking really tired. Too many tournaments, doubles
matches included. The playing style in terms of service speed,
skills, strategy has been the same since last season, with
only Sveta really building a bigger wider all court game.

8) Sharapova- won WIMBLEDON beating a not to great as last
year Serena, and a Bon Voyage Lindsay at WIMBLEDON. The new
female "Andy Roddick"(IMG, Nike). Can actually only play 2 more
events for the 2004 season because of the WTA age rule. She
had tough times handling Amy Frazier, and Ai Sugiyama. Still
a project in the works. Her best surface is grass. Won't know what
level of play Maria will comeback at in the 2005 season after she
plays those next two tournaments for the WTA. On the rise in
terms of attention; but there's a question mark on what direction
her new found fame will really go after playing the next two
WTA tournaments. She'll have alot of time for outside activities.
The backhand is overated. The second serve is underated.
The forehand can be attacked by even a lite hitter such as Ai Sugiyama.

Final Verdict. Sisters, and Belgians not in decline. Capriati
not dead. Russians not taking over; but simply now playing
in true contention as equals. Ld says Adios.

·
Banned
100 Posts
i agree with what ^^^^ this guys says...heck hes getting positive rep for that!

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
Serena just reached a major final...how can that be considered as declining?! Yeah, she lost...but so did 125 other girls at wimbledon too. She´s still young and there isn´t any reason to think that once she´s fully healthy and in form that she won´t be a contender for every major or tournament she plays.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts