1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
16,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pierce overcomes Dokic at U.S. Open

BY CHRIS LEHOURITES
Associated Press
Aug. 28, 2003 5:30 p.m.

NEW YORK (AP)— Jelena Dokic saved a match point in the second set and served for a berth in the third round of the U.S. Open twice in the third set.

But it was two-time Grand Slam champion Mary Pierce of France who advanced Thursday, winning five games in a row in the final set for a 6-2, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5) victory.

Dokic faced a match point in the 10th game of the second set, but Pierce sent a couple of balls long and hit the last into the net as Dokic broke to even at 5-5.

"She could have finished the match in the second set. I was lucky to turn it around," Dokic said.

The 22nd seed from Serbia and Montenegro then held serve and won the tiebreak easily.

"In the big moments of the match it seemed to me Jelena really stepped up," Pierce said.

In the third set, Dokic dominated early and broke the Frenchwoman twice - in the third and fifth games - before serving for the match at 5-2 and 5-4.

"I was confident when I broke her at 1-all. I was attacking and she couldn't do anything," Dokic said. "I really rushed at 5-1. At 5-2 and 5-4 when I served, I wanted her to miss and I shouldn't have done that.

"I got really nervous. I lost the match myself, she didn't win it."

Pierce rallied with a combination of winners and Dokic doublefaults. She had 12 in the match, which lasted exactly two hours.

"I had a few doublefaults, but she was returning well. I served well to pull off the second set," Dokic said.

Pierce, who frequently poured water on her face, neck and arms during changeovers, closed out the match in the tiebreak - the first she has won this year in six attempts.

Pierce, who has 15 career titles but has been battling injuries for three years, won the French Open in 2000 and the Australian Open in 1995.

"I'm still not back to the level where I want to be," Pierce said. "My legs kind of weren't there in the third set."

Despite her lack of fitness, Pierce till hits the ball hard.

"Some of the shots that she hit I didn't see," Dokic said.

Dokic, who is ranked 23rd in the world, had her best showing at a Grand Slam in 2000 when she reached the semifinals at Wimbledon. She has made the fourth round at the U.S. Open twice.

She was seeded fifth last year, but again lost in the second round.

"It's just not my year," she said.

· Registered
16,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I've said before, people see what they want to see. :rolleyes:

The article did not contain the full interview, but when you say you could not see the opponent's shots because they were so fast, you are complimenting that opponent for sure.

· Registered
16,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yoshie (sorry, I can't do all the doodles in your name!;) ),

to me the positive for Jelena was that she was fighting so hard, she was so determined to win this match. I have not seen that from her in recent months.

To extend that intensity to last throughout a match, that is what she will be working on next.

Best of luck to her. I was rooting for Mary, but I want to see Jelena to climb back up where she belongs, in the top 10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.