1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pierce overcomes Dokic at U.S. Open

BY CHRIS LEHOURITES
Associated Press
Aug. 28, 2003 5:30 p.m.

NEW YORK (AP)— Jelena Dokic saved a match point in the second set and served for a berth in the third round of the U.S. Open twice in the third set.

But it was two-time Grand Slam champion Mary Pierce of France who advanced Thursday, winning five games in a row in the final set for a 6-2, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5) victory.

Dokic faced a match point in the 10th game of the second set, but Pierce sent a couple of balls long and hit the last into the net as Dokic broke to even at 5-5.

"She could have finished the match in the second set. I was lucky to turn it around," Dokic said.

The 22nd seed from Serbia and Montenegro then held serve and won the tiebreak easily.

"In the big moments of the match it seemed to me Jelena really stepped up," Pierce said.

In the third set, Dokic dominated early and broke the Frenchwoman twice - in the third and fifth games - before serving for the match at 5-2 and 5-4.

"I was confident when I broke her at 1-all. I was attacking and she couldn't do anything," Dokic said. "I really rushed at 5-1. At 5-2 and 5-4 when I served, I wanted her to miss and I shouldn't have done that.

"I got really nervous. I lost the match myself, she didn't win it."

Pierce rallied with a combination of winners and Dokic doublefaults. She had 12 in the match, which lasted exactly two hours.

"I had a few doublefaults, but she was returning well. I served well to pull off the second set," Dokic said.

Pierce, who frequently poured water on her face, neck and arms during changeovers, closed out the match in the tiebreak - the first she has won this year in six attempts.

Pierce, who has 15 career titles but has been battling injuries for three years, won the French Open in 2000 and the Australian Open in 1995.

"I'm still not back to the level where I want to be," Pierce said. "My legs kind of weren't there in the third set."

Despite her lack of fitness, Pierce till hits the ball hard.

"Some of the shots that she hit I didn't see," Dokic said.

Dokic, who is ranked 23rd in the world, had her best showing at a Grand Slam in 2000 when she reached the semifinals at Wimbledon. She has made the fourth round at the U.S. Open twice.

She was seeded fifth last year, but again lost in the second round.

"It's just not my year," she said.

· Registered
6,836 Posts
janie said:
"I was confident when I broke her at 1-all. I was attacking and she couldn't do anything," Dokic said. "I really rushed at 5-1. At 5-2 and 5-4 when I served, I wanted her to miss and I shouldn't have done that.

Pierce rallied with a combination of winners and Dokic doublefaults. She had 12 in the match, which lasted exactly two hours.

"I had a few doublefaults, but she was returning well. I served well to pull off the second set," Dokic said.
She is stuck on that...not a good sign...get it together Jelena!!!!

A few DF's?!?! 12 is a few?!?!? :tape:

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,291 Posts
janie said:
It's incredible how she never gives any credit to her opponents. Pierce played very well to get back in the match and if it went to three sets it was with a little help form Mary too, because she could have closed it easily in her service game at 5-4.

· Registered
2,881 Posts
Well it's obvious that Annak_Fan and AlexSydney have barely done their research in making their useless statements.

Not only did they generalise, they didn't even bother to read Jelena's entire interview.

So in order to help them, I've decided to post some of the interview here, just so they can see how baseless their stupid comments actually are.

Q. That must have been a very difficult match emotionally for you, being up so much in the third set. What were your emotions? How do you feel now?

JELENA DOKIC: I mean, I felt like maybe I should have been off the court earlier. I mean, she was playing well. You know, she could have finished the match in two sets. Especially she had a match point. And I was lucky to turn it around. I was starting to play better. She missed a few. Then all of a sudden the match turned.

You know, it's disappointing, for sure. But that's tennis. You know, it's just not my year, it looks like (smiling). I have to go on, you know, learn from this.

Oh Annak_Fan, if you bothered to read her interview you would have realised that she agrees with your sentiments that she could have lost a lot earlier than she did today

Q. Few problems with the serve, as well.

JELENA DOKIC: No, I mean, a few. I mean, I had a few double-faults. But she was returning well. So I was going for a little bit more. This is normal. When you have someone that was playing as well as she was, you know, you expect this. But I served well to pull off the second set. Generally the serve was not great, but it was good. She was just hitting winners. Even off some of my good serves that I was hitting, she would be there. So it's difficult when you play a player like that.

Q. Did you think to yourself that because of her status with her injuries, she's been off for a long time, did you think to yourself in the third set, her fitness isn't where she wants it to be, she said that, did you think if you just ran her around a little bit, you were going to win?

JELENA DOKIC: Yeah, I mean, I played her last year and she was much worse than she was now. She's lost some weight and she's moving better. I mean, I knew what I had to do. But it's difficult when someone is hitting it as hard as she is. And she was still moving very well. Even on my own serve, when I was trying to attack, she would be, you know, hitting return winners. She was still playing well.

I don't think there was a great strategy. A strategy to move her is fine, but she was hitting winners all over the court. So , you know, even though her fitness is not there, she's been injured, I think she's playing better than she was.

Q. Do you think she's the kind of player who, even at her age, could be a factor here in this tournament?

JELENA DOKIC: I don't know. I mean, she's playing well. How far she can go depends how she recovers after matches, what her injuries are, whether they'll come back. Just depends. She's playing well. I'm sure she knows that. She's been playing better and better. You know, whether she can be someone that gets to the semis or the final is a different story. I mean, you have Justine and Kim. I think there's still a little bit, you know...

Q. Does she hit it as hard as anybody out there?

JELENA DOKIC: She hits it harder than anyone, for sure. But there are other factors that come into play, like movement and everything. You know, I think she can do well.

Q. She hits it as hard as Serena and Kim from the ground?

JELENA DOKIC: For sure, yeah. I mean, some of the shots she hit, I didn't see. But, you know, Serena and Kim move better, better serves, sometimes returns. So this is the difference between 1 and 20.

Do you have anything else to say? I suggest you read the entire interview next time before you make comments like that.

· Registered
677 Posts
AnnaK_Fan said:
It's incredible how she never gives any credit to her opponents.
i know,jelena has never been very kind but she was right:mary played well but when u r uo 5-1 in the last set and u lose it's always yr fault...
jelena said in the same press conference that:
According to Dokic, no one hits the ball harder than Pierce. Not Serena Williams. Not Kim Clijsters.

``Some of the shots she hit,'' Dokic said, ``I didn't see.''

so,she gave her credits...

· Registered
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I've said before, people see what they want to see. :rolleyes:

The article did not contain the full interview, but when you say you could not see the opponent's shots because they were so fast, you are complimenting that opponent for sure.

· Banned
2,479 Posts
I think this obviously will take a bit of time for Jelena to get over, but all said and done, she can take alot of positives from this match. She had the difficult task of playing an In-form Mary Pierce (compared to recent years) and she went down early 2-6 and down a break in the second. However she fought, she fought like the old days and she took the second 7-6 and she was happy. She then went up 5-1. It was here though she saw the oppertunity. She prob thought in her mind, Ive played so well, coming back down a match point, Borna will be proud of me, my mum will be proud of me etc etc. Thats the problem, she lowered her intensity levels just that much to allow Pierce to get back in the match. And then Pierce just got better and better.

Bikic will work with Jelena and Im sure we will see some positives from this match. Jelena will be back for sure, and I hope she can make the best of the mixed and then hav a great indoor season.

· Registered
16,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yoshie (sorry, I can't do all the doodles in your name!;) ),

to me the positive for Jelena was that she was fighting so hard, she was so determined to win this match. I have not seen that from her in recent months.

To extend that intensity to last throughout a match, that is what she will be working on next.

Best of luck to her. I was rooting for Mary, but I want to see Jelena to climb back up where she belongs, in the top 10.

· Registered
2,881 Posts
Runningtennisguy: Have you seen Charleston 2000? No one has ever hit that HARD, ever. Mary made everyone look like finesse players. If you also read, Jelena extrapolated the differences between Serena, Kim and Mary.

· Registered
15,432 Posts
I wanted Jelana to win. That's the best I seen her play
in quite a bit. She was really into it. The match was
kind of funny w/ constant stare downs, annoyed looks
and eye rolling during the other players winners. LOL

· Registered
3,332 Posts
Mary Pierce does not hit harder than Venus or Serena. Do you see the muscle mass in Venus and Serena, alot toner and less cellulite. If mary hits sooo hard then why hasn't she won against a top 10 player in like a year. Dont say shes slow because nobody can be slower than Davenport

· Registered
2,881 Posts
jbone: If you knew anything about tennis, you'd realise that there's a lot more involved in tennis than just hitting hard. As Jelena pointed out, the other players move a lot better than Mary and they serve better than her too on a consistent basis. Davenport is faster than Pierce and Pierce has also been injured consistently over the past year.

· Registered
4,071 Posts
but.....

jbone_0307 said:
Mary Pierce does not hit harder than Venus or Serena. Do you see the muscle mass in Venus and Serena, alot toner and less cellulite. If mary hits sooo hard then why hasn't she won against a top 10 player in like a year. Dont say shes slow because nobody can be slower than Davenport
First of all, Mary is slower than Davenport. You clearly don't watch or read much about tennis if you think that Davenport is the slowest player out there. Secondly, muscle mass is not the only determining factor in a player's power game. Niether Monica Seles or Lindsay Davenport has much body muscle but they both hit the ball extremely hard. And she hasn't won against a top 10 player ina year because she has been struggling with injuries. If you knew much about tennis, you would know that power is not all you need to win matches. When Venus and Serena first came on they hit with just power and were not winning titles. But then they started to move incredibly well which is the biggest attribute they have. Thirdly, do you think you would know more about how hard the players hit or do you think Jelena would know? Lets see, she's the one whose played against all of them first hand while you are just merely a spectator. Hmmm.....I think Jelena would know more about it. You simply look at their muscles on tv or on magazines and right away you assume they are the hardest hitters on tour. Even Billie Jean King has stated that she doesnt' feel they are the hardest hitters. Lastly, if you really want to see how powerful Mary really is, then I suggest you go find a match on tape of Mary Pierce vs. Serena Williams 2000 Indian Wells quarterfinals. Go watch that match and tell me who you think hits the ball harder. Serena herself after the match said that every ball she hit Mary hit it back harder and with more pace. I believe Pierce won 6-1, 6-2.

· Registered
16,024 Posts
hell yes Mary BELTS THE BALL but she BELTS WITH PRECISION, WICKED ANGLES, DEPTH and TOPSPIN if necessary. her groundies are THE BOMB!!! She is one of the few "power players" I just love to watch cuz she really knows how to surprise opponents by going behind them or hitting short angled winners with pace and can play at the net too. Plus I LOVE LOVE LOVE HER SERVE!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.