1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated: 12:29 PM EDT
Tennis-Wimbledon-Defeat will spur me on, says Serena
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

LONDON, July 3 (Reuters) - Serena Williams will use her shock defeat to Maria Sharapova in the Wimbledon final to spur her to greater glory, the deposed champion said on Saturday.
Less than an hour after having her title wrenched from her grip by the 17-year-old Siberian, Serena said she would be hitting the practice courts as soon as possible to raise her game to an even higher level.

"I'm definitely going to triple my efforts, do everything I can to play better next time," the six-times grand slam champion smiled.

First, though, she wants to get away from Wimbledon.

"(Tomorrow) I'll probably be going to the tennis court, work on some stuff," she said. "Won't be in England.

"Actually, I think I need to go out right now, the way I performed. So if you'd let me go, I'm going to go to Court 13 and start practising," she told reporters.

Serena, who returned to action in March this year after knee surgery, said she had been well below par against Sharapova.

"Oh, I'm at like 20 percent right now, so ... I'm at 20 percent, I think. I think everyone can see it. There's a lot of stuff I want to do a little more physically.

"Obviously, I want to play a lot better than I did the last two matches. I still think there's a lot of things that I want to work on that I really know from my potential that I can do a lot better on. Everyone here knows I can do so much better than what I did the past few matches. We can't deny that."

WILLIAMS FAMILY

Serena, unbeaten at the All England Club since 2001, said she had put a lot of pressure on herself.

"I didn't play great and I didn't win," she smiled. "I put a lot of stress on myself. I think I put too much stress on myself going into it.

"I figured, you know, I really wanted to win more than anything. I was so focused the night before, the day before, I mean, a week before.

"I just really was so, you know, 'I got to do this. If I don't do this, there's no ifs, ands or buts about it. I've got to do it'. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself."

Serena acknowledged that Sharapova had been too hot on the day.

"She played her best tennis today, and for the whole tournament, for sure," she nodded. "You know, it's normal.

"When I play people, they normally play their best tennis ... not 'normally', they always play their best tennis against me and my sister. So today I knew she was going to be playing really well.

"She's kind of like me, she doesn't back off. She keeps giving it her all."

Sharapova's victory means the Wimbledon title leaves the Williams family for the first time since 1999. Venus won in 2000 and 2001.

Serena said they'd be back to reclaim it.

"We have lots of years left, and we both do so well here, so definitely. It's just a matter of time."

07/03/04 12:27 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

This is why Serena will always be a champion in my eyes, even if she didn't win today. She knows what went worng and starting tomorrow, which is another day, will practice to play a lot better. Hopefully, she'll take Venus with her to the court.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
:yeah:

I'm glad she didn't pull a RG SF '03 in the interview room. *phew*

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I was hoping this would be Serena's attitude. I felt she would use this loss to really light a fire under her and really, this needs to be that wake up call for her to be about her business and be that Serena Williams we know she is.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think Serena has grown up since that RG "03. She also didn't face someone's left hand and who denied her the first serve.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
She´ll be back...it´s just that the kick of her second-serve was just ending up in Maria´s strike zone because Maria is so tall.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
VenusSerenaBlvd. said:
I think Serena has grown up since that RG "03. She also didn't face someone's left hand and who denied her the first serve.
obviously...

but she was crying on court and during the Bud Collins interview so it was hard to see how she'd be in the interview room. :)

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
QUEENLINDSAY said:
:rolleyes: 20%????????
1000 below notches again!!!!!!
thats 10,000 notches below her level!
She was 9,000 notches below her level against Justine, and she even played better in that match

·
Banned
17 Posts
nate_my_love said:
Com'on, you've got to believe her. She played bad tennis throughout this Grands Slam. She's nowhere near her top-form :eek: :eek:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes Serena...everyone knowns how "good you really are"...blah blah blah...same old, same old.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
Of course Serena was below par today. Every player has an off day and the Mauresmo match took a lot out of her.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
No, Serena..don´t do it, don´t do it. Why do you say things like that so people can pick on you?! Of course you can play better...if you had a forehand today you could have won or if you didn´t slip at such a crucial point, but leave it at that.

·
Registered
967 Posts
She needs to stop with the acting gigs and concentrate on tennis, if she wants to get back to the glory she once had.

·
92,578 Posts
lizchris said:
Updated: 12:29 PM EDT
Tennis-Wimbledon-Defeat will spur me on, says Serena
By Ossian Shine, Reuters

LONDON, July 3 (Reuters) - Serena Williams will use her shock defeat to Maria Sharapova in the Wimbledon final to spur her to greater glory, the deposed champion said on Saturday.
Less than an hour after having her title wrenched from her grip by the 17-year-old Siberian, Serena said she would be hitting the practice courts as soon as possible to raise her game to an even higher level.

"I'm definitely going to triple my efforts, do everything I can to play better next time," the six-times grand slam champion smiled.

First, though, she wants to get away from Wimbledon.

"(Tomorrow) I'll probably be going to the tennis court, work on some stuff," she said. "Won't be in England.

"Actually, I think I need to go out right now, the way I performed. So if you'd let me go, I'm going to go to Court 13 and start practising," she told reporters.

Serena, who returned to action in March this year after knee surgery, said she had been well below par against Sharapova.

"Oh, I'm at like 20 percent right now, so ... I'm at 20 percent, I think. I think everyone can see it. There's a lot of stuff I want to do a little more physically.

"Obviously, I want to play a lot better than I did the last two matches. I still think there's a lot of things that I want to work on that I really know from my potential that I can do a lot better on. Everyone here knows I can do so much better than what I did the past few matches. We can't deny that."

WILLIAMS FAMILY

Serena, unbeaten at the All England Club since 2001, said she had put a lot of pressure on herself.

"I didn't play great and I didn't win," she smiled. "I put a lot of stress on myself. I think I put too much stress on myself going into it.

"I figured, you know, I really wanted to win more than anything. I was so focused the night before, the day before, I mean, a week before.

"I just really was so, you know, 'I got to do this. If I don't do this, there's no ifs, ands or buts about it. I've got to do it'. Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself."

Serena acknowledged that Sharapova had been too hot on the day.

"She played her best tennis today, and for the whole tournament, for sure," she nodded. "You know, it's normal.

"When I play people, they normally play their best tennis ... not 'normally', they always play their best tennis against me and my sister. So today I knew she was going to be playing really well.

"She's kind of like me, she doesn't back off. She keeps giving it her all."

Sharapova's victory means the Wimbledon title leaves the Williams family for the first time since 1999. Venus won in 2000 and 2001.

Serena said they'd be back to reclaim it.

"We have lots of years left, and we both do so well here, so definitely. It's just a matter of time."

07/03/04 12:27 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

This is why Serena will always be a champion in my eyes, even if she didn't win today. She knows what went worng and starting tomorrow, which is another day, will practice to play a lot better. Hopefully, she'll take Venus with her to the court.
Serena :sad:

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
If she played badly in her "last few matches" what would she have done to Cappy and Golovin if she'd been playing well? ;)

Never mind, good luck next time Serena.

·
25,289 Posts
We'll see how serious she is when she stops all the sideline crap. Cannes just days before the French, her "acting", and designing, etc.

The days when she can do that and "dominate" are gone. She's too good to look back in 7 years and see wasted chances.

She needs to play more events and fix the forehand and I expect she'll be just fine. Looking forward to more matches between these two.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
That´s just it basically, rollo... I think the sisters have to realize this. They are still good enough to beat 80 % of the tour with all those outside activities, but that other 20 % they have to beat if they wanna win more majors...that´s the key, CAN´T be beaten without the sisters commiting themselves to tennis fully again. Simple as that.

Serena, imo, if she is fully commited has all the tools to dominate the tour again. I hope this loss makes her make that commitment to tennis again.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I like this reaction from serena (except the 20% part, or maybe i can accept that, i dnt know...)

Seriously this match would have to be an eye opener for Serena, in fact her lost at the french should have been.

Goodluck Serena and I am looking forward for you to return as the Serena who won 6 GS titles. I am sure its a tough road ahead.

everyone lets stop this hating now!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts