Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think the article is just a touch harsh, but here you have it anyway.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1060639814909&call_pageid=969907740050&col=970081602428

Clijsters is worthy but she's not No.1
Serena Williams still best in world

In the sometimes inexplicable world of women's tennis, Kim Clijsters is the new top-ranked player. The problem is, she is not the top player, not by a long shot. And by anointing her the new No.1, the WTA Tour and the folks who invented its ranking system are announcing themselves as sporting laughingstocks.

Don't blame Clijsters: It's not the hard-working Belgian's fault that she is No.1 in some computer, a computer that has somehow determined that Serena Williams — the most dominant female athlete in the world today — is suddenly no longer peerless, even though she so clearly is. Clijsters, 20, has never won a Grand Slam tournament. All the 21-year-old Williams has done in her flashy rise to supremacy is win five of the past six major championships and hold the No.1 ranking for the past 57 weeks.

But the gist of the logic behind the tour's ranking system goes like so: Clijsters has shown up to 23 tournaments this past year, including this week's Rogers AT&T Cup at the National Tennis Centre, where she's justifiably the No.1 seed. Williams, currently rehabbing a knee injury that will keep her out of this month's U.S. Open, has shown her face at just 12 tournaments. Ergo, Clijsters, who has won six 2003 tournaments to Williams' four, is supposedly the game's best player.

No, wait a minute: She's obviously not the best player. The best player in the game wouldn't blow a 5-1 lead in the third set of a Grand Slam final, just like Clijsters did at this year's Australian Open. But the best player in the game — that'd be Williams — did preside over Clijsters' monumental collapse and turn what looked like a certain defeat into a legendary win.

That's the type of performance that defines a great one, and Williams, at age 21, has set herself up to be considered the greatest player the sport has ever known if she continues to play like a reasonable facsimile of herself for a half-dozen more years or so.

In her dominance, she has made events in which she is not a participant seem irrelevant to the casual fan. A tennis tournament without the younger Williams is like a golf tournament without Tiger Woods, only worse. It can be competitive, but it can't be truly compelling. A tennis tournament without Serena and Venus — who is still, despite her No.5 ranking, the world's second-best player — is like a Stones concert without **** and Keith, a cola taste-test without Coke and Pepsi.

Of course, you can criticize Serena for brazenly scheduling a Toronto movie shoot that would have kept her out of this week's action if surgery hadn't. If the best players keep pulling out of tournaments — if they keep disappointing the sponsors and the ticket-buying public — it's eventually going to hurt the tour.

To my mind, though, it's the tour's responsibility to compel its prize talents — through incentives or penalties or whatever — to show up. Note that the men's tour doesn't have an attendance problem. Perhaps the WTA Tour could take a lesson.

I can't find it in my heart, though, to blame a 21-year-old with a world of options for exercising her interest in acting and modelling and fashion designing. Great athletes get bored. Michael Jordan not only dabbled in baseball, he devoted himself to golf and gambling. His on-court performance didn't exactly suffer, and neither has that of Williams.

It's not her fault she has no rival. It's not her sole responsibility to market the WTA Tour. But it's the WTA Tour's responsibility to make its No.1 ranking mean something. Clijsters is a worthy contender, a regular attendee. But if she's No.1, it's in the hearts of computer geeks who never missed a class. If that's the target demographic, this development's a bull's eye.

Why always say the ranking system's silly? People should not expect a player not competing full time, to be topping the rankings!

As said before, though clearly considered the best F1 driver, who would expect Michael Schumacher to be named world champion in a season in which he would participate in ony 11 out of 17 races?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
A grandslam could surely confirm Kim's current status. She's young and have lots of time to achieve this.

Not all who won a GS title has become no. 1 anyway.:rolleyes:

·
Snitch
16,148 Posts
I think Kim deserves to be where she is because she shows up and consistently does well...however, we all know that she is not the best and that is all the author is saying...:D

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
The point is that number one should reflect who is best not who is most consistent. Maybe the wta tour should do what the atp does to get its top players to play or they should revise the system to reflect who is best.

His point is that having kim or anyone else as number one besides serena williams is a joke because serena williams is clearly the best player in the world. Thats his point. He's saying the system is flawed and does not reward those who are great but those who play the system. Is it kims fault? No. Is it Serenas fault? No. Its no ones fault. Its the systems fault. Period.

And as long as the system rewards consistency then it will continue to be ridiculed when these things happen. No one would be saying anything if it wasn't so obvious that serena is better than kim. Comeon two grandslams and a semifinal versus zero grandslams and two semis and a final.

Like someone else posted somewhere if number one is about being the best then the system needs to be changed. If number one is about being consistent then leave things as they are and stop bitching about the ridicule because to the sane world outside of tennis being number one means being the best.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
No.1 is about the being the best.....only thing needed now is a system to show who´s the best and not who´s the most consistent... ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kim's number one and that's a fact, the bullshitting of people that can't live with that is amazing.

Get over it or visit a psychologist.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
ROTFL-my ass off! What a quote for the ages "If she is number 1, its only in the minds of the computer geeks who have never missed a class". So true, so true.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
The article would have more credibility if Kim vs Serena at OZ had actually BEEN the Final. Or if the various other factual errors were corrected.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
spartanfan said:
ROTFL-my ass off! What a quote for the ages "If she is number 1, its only in the minds of the computer geeks who have never missed a class". So true, so true.
No kidding, no kidding!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What this guy and a lot of people fail to realize is that becoming number 1 in the world doesn't mean that you're the best in the world, it simply means that you've accumulated enough points in the year to become number 1, plain and simple. Yes, I think most people know that Serean is the best player. Who's gonna dispute that? So, just because she is, that means they should ignore the points system put in place and allow Serena to stay number 1? :rolleyes: I think not. That would be absurd. Let Serena start playing some tennis and she can keep the number 1 ranking. Anything less than that, such as allowing her to keep the number 1 ranking when she decides she doesn't want to play enough to keep the ranking, is an insult to the game itself.

To my mind, though, it's the tour's responsibility to compel its prize talents — through incentives or penalties or whatever — to show up.
Yes, they did, and it's called a points system. That's all they can do. They're not gonna fine players for not trying to stay on top of the points system. That would be retarded.

Kim has earned the ranking, fair and square, so let her enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts
I sort of agree with the article, but Kim is #1. She played the system and got the points. I wish people would just accept it, and know that when Serena gets back she will go for it again. Let Kim have her shine, and let it go even if she is not the best player.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
great smash said:
I think the article is just a touch harsh, but here you have it anyway.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1060639814909&call_pageid=969907740050&col=970081602428

Clijsters is worthy but she's not No.1
Serena Williams still best in world

Tennis and driving aren't in the same catagory Tennis is a sport!

In the sometimes inexplicable world of women's tennis, Kim Clijsters is the new top-ranked player. The problem is, she is not the top player, not by a long shot. And by anointing her the new No.1, the WTA Tour and the folks who invented its ranking system are announcing themselves as sporting laughingstocks.

Don't blame Clijsters: It's not the hard-working Belgian's fault that she is No.1 in some computer, a computer that has somehow determined that Serena Williams — the most dominant female athlete in the world today — is suddenly no longer peerless, even though she so clearly is. Clijsters, 20, has never won a Grand Slam tournament. All the 21-year-old Williams has done in her flashy rise to supremacy is win five of the past six major championships and hold the No.1 ranking for the past 57 weeks.

But the gist of the logic behind the tour's ranking system goes like so: Clijsters has shown up to 23 tournaments this past year, including this week's Rogers AT&T Cup at the National Tennis Centre, where she's justifiably the No.1 seed. Williams, currently rehabbing a knee injury that will keep her out of this month's U.S. Open, has shown her face at just 12 tournaments. Ergo, Clijsters, who has won six 2003 tournaments to Williams' four, is supposedly the game's best player.

No, wait a minute: She's obviously not the best player. The best player in the game wouldn't blow a 5-1 lead in the third set of a Grand Slam final, just like Clijsters did at this year's Australian Open. But the best player in the game — that'd be Williams — did preside over Clijsters' monumental collapse and turn what looked like a certain defeat into a legendary win.

That's the type of performance that defines a great one, and Williams, at age 21, has set herself up to be considered the greatest player the sport has ever known if she continues to play like a reasonable facsimile of herself for a half-dozen more years or so.

In her dominance, she has made events in which she is not a participant seem irrelevant to the casual fan. A tennis tournament without the younger Williams is like a golf tournament without Tiger Woods, only worse. It can be competitive, but it can't be truly compelling. A tennis tournament without Serena and Venus — who is still, despite her No.5 ranking, the world's second-best player — is like a Stones concert without **** and Keith, a cola taste-test without Coke and Pepsi.

Of course, you can criticize Serena for brazenly scheduling a Toronto movie shoot that would have kept her out of this week's action if surgery hadn't. If the best players keep pulling out of tournaments — if they keep disappointing the sponsors and the ticket-buying public — it's eventually going to hurt the tour.

To my mind, though, it's the tour's responsibility to compel its prize talents — through incentives or penalties or whatever — to show up. Note that the men's tour doesn't have an attendance problem. Perhaps the WTA Tour could take a lesson.

I can't find it in my heart, though, to blame a 21-year-old with a world of options for exercising her interest in acting and modelling and fashion designing. Great athletes get bored. Michael Jordan not only dabbled in baseball, he devoted himself to golf and gambling. His on-court performance didn't exactly suffer, and neither has that of Williams.

It's not her fault she has no rival. It's not her sole responsibility to market the WTA Tour. But it's the WTA Tour's responsibility to make its No.1 ranking mean something. Clijsters is a worthy contender, a regular attendee. But if she's No.1, it's in the hearts of computer geeks who never missed a class. If that's the target demographic, this development's a bull's eye.

Why always say the ranking system's silly? People should not expect a player not competing full time, to be topping the rankings!

As said before, though clearly considered the best F1 driver, who would expect Michael Schumacher to be named world champion in a season in which he would participate in ony 11 out of 17 races?
Tennis is a sport! Driving is not! Please don't confuse the two.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Tennis is a sport! Driving is not! Please don't confuse the two.
the idea remains the same, but if you want an other example, ok then

however 95 % will pick lance armstrong as the best cyclist of the last 5 years, i think he has never been #1 on the UCI rankings, just because he only participated in the tour de france, a few preparation races, and a few after-tour criteriums...

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Serena is FEARLESS. The entire sports world knows Kim has nothing on what Serena has achieved in tennis. Even in this last 52 weeks.

Face it folks Kim is a laughing stock, but it is not her fault by any means.

Rotflmao.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
Serena is FEARLESS. The entire sports world knows Kim has nothing on what Serena has achieved in tennis. Even in this last 52 weeks.

Rotflmao.
Yep! Serena´s a go getter! Kim´s an more powerful version of ASV...no wonder her only finals were at the French!

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Dawn Marie said:

Rotflmao.
Dawn, come on now. :rolleyes:

Even though she hasn't done extremely well enough to win as Serena has, she's come pretty damn close. I think laughing stock is a little extreme, don't you think?

Anybody that actually paid attention to the WTA Championships last year, that all of the sudden have meant absolutely nothing to certain people, would know that Kim has what it takes. It's just a matter of it happening.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you read this article and know nothing about current tennis, you would think that Serena Williams must be the best tennis player ever and Kim just a player who's collecting a lot of points only by playing twice as much. What he doesn't tell is the fact that:
- there are only 17 tournaments that count.
- that a grandslam winner gets too much points in comparison with a winner at the other big tournaments (yes, there are other big tournaments such as the WTA Championships, Indian Wells, Rome, ...).
- that his words "she (Kim) is not the top player, not by a long shot" are totally incorrect if you look at the tense matches between her and Serena
- that tennis is not only about beating a player but also about playing a lot of tournaments and being very consistent. It's also about stamina. It's only logical that a ranking system is based on points in a decent amount of tournaments. If we would reduce it to just four tournaments then we can forget about tennis as an international sport.
If we let Kim play many matches against Serena, then she would probably lose more then Serena but if we look at her tennis season, she is currently the best player. That's the game.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Kim is a laughing stock?But its not her fault? people arent laughing at Kim, they're praising her as a great player and future slam champion

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Dawn says a lot of things I agree with, but I can't seriously fathom her saying that people think of Kim as a laughing stock. With that said, I don't see her retracting that statement.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts