Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Capriati Blames French Open and Wimbledon Losses on her Friend

Jennifer Capriati is blaming her "friend" for her lackluster efforts in the recent French Open semifinals and Wimbledon Quarterfinals. The 28-year-old player, known for playing exciting three-set matches won a combined 6 games in her losses to Anastasia Myskina and Serena Williams. Capriati believes she was not physically capable of playing.

"I had the worst cramps in my entire life during both matches. I felt like absolute (expletive) out there, you know?" said the three-time Grand Slam winner.

While most female athletes usually get a light period, Capriati was unable to train for three months due to a back injury she sustained at last year's WTA Tour Championships.

Capriati's doctor Penelope Marion Smith said, "It will probably be another month or two before Jennifer will be back to normal during her time of the month."

Capriati said that having her period during both matches made it impossible to move properly. "You try running down some of those balls when you have such bad cramps that ibuprofen doesn't do diddly (expletetive)."

Said Serena Williams, "I was wondering why she didn't play a better match. I played well of course, but Jennifer just wasn't herself that day."

Myskina, however, was less understanding when told of Capriati's explaination. "I don't believe a word she said. I think she was just nervous. The only part of her body that was cramping was her brain."

Capriati plans to work extrememly hard on her fitness in the next few months. By the time the US Open comes around Dr. Smith believes Capriati will be her old self.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I know this thread is a joke but apparently Steffi Graf actually *did* blame her period for her 1989 French Open loss to Arantxa (Irma can correct me if she see this and I am wrong!).

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
raquel said:
I know this thread is a joke but apparently Steffi Graf actually *did* blame her period for her 1989 French Open loss to Arantxa (Irma can correct me if she see this and I am wrong!).
That would be kind of funny if that happened.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,321 Posts
raquel said:
She did. After the loss she rushed off the court and a journalist said "why did you lose" and she replied "I'm having my period."

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Athenaeum said:
She did. After the loss she rushed off the court and a journalist said "why did you lose" and she replied "I'm having my period."
I thought so. I always say why didn't she have it during the 6 wins she had there? The FO is played roughly the same week every year isn't it? :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
:lol:

·
Banned
100 Posts
omg! i doubt jen would call her period a 'friend'! lol that is too good!

in fact, anybody who thinks periods are a joke must be men...there not, trust me, they really are bad.!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Athenaeum said:
I don't think Steffi actually blamed the loss on her period. She took a bathroom break late in the match, and when she was asked in the post-match interview why she took it, she said it was because she had her period. So she was blaming her bathroom break on her period, not her loss.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My mom always calls it the friend.

BTW- Did anyone notice that the Capriati's "doctor's" initials are PMS? I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Athenaeum said:
No, that wasn't how it happened. After the last rally of the eleventh game of the third set, she ran off the court and returned after some time to play the next game. She did not blame the loss on her period. The reporters kept repeatedly asking her why she had left the court at 5-6, and she finally snapped and admitted that she'd had her period.

The really disgusting thing about this was that after that incident, the German tabloid press actually kept track of Graf's monthly cycles and discussed it in public!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
raquel said:
I thought so. I always say why didn't she have it during the 6 wins she had there? The FO is played roughly the same week every year isn't it? :)
Come on, let's be fair. Evert, Navratilova, Shriver, and a bunch of other players have all at time or another blamed a loss on their periods. Navratilova writes in her book that her early losses at the US Open all came when she was having her period.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Samn if that is true, if the press did do that, THATS crossing the line, its innapropriate and down right vulgar. Thats a womans issue not a world issue!

gross-NINA DIVA says its gross!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts