Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To be honest with you, I dont think top players are as confident as we think they are. They constantly need reassurance from the general public and when they sense that this reassurance might be taken away from then, they put up a false show of bravado and withhold credit even in a loss. Just so that we continue to believe in them.

As martina once said, even when she was dominating in 97, she never felt confident that she would win the match when she first stepped on court. in 2001, after some losses and much media bashing that she no longer deserved the no. 1 ranking, she came up with excuses for losing to mauresmo (as someone has stated). serena, who's now sitting at the top of the rankings, similarly fears that her recent losses might signify that she's not as dominant now as she was in the past year. jelena, obviously is in self denial about her level of play.

This could very well be the reason behind the apparent arrogance of some players. On the other hand, players with plenty of confidence and self-reassurance, rarely need to do so. So you see, its just a matter of temparament.

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*bump*

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
For me, someone who is always saying how good he/she is at something needs to hear it to convince himself. In this sense, I've always felt that Venus was more self-assured than Serena-that's why she doesn't give a crap about what the press or everybody says.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts